PDA

View Full Version : Winter gas mileage

Patriot
12-18-2003, 09:35 PM
My mileage has dropped from about 10.7 average to about 9.0 to 9.5.

I thought it odd and mentioned it to my H2 tech since it's going in for oil change and minor isuues.

He said it might be winter fuel additives that fuel companies are required to add by some states for winter emissions?!?! Anyone else hear of this or have lowering gas mileage in winter months??

I was thinking throttle body but I have no other issues...no bad idle, no surging, etc.

I do have a supercharger but it was added well over 2500 miles ago.

Thanks...

Patriot
12-18-2003, 09:35 PM
My mileage has dropped from about 10.7 average to about 9.0 to 9.5.

I thought it odd and mentioned it to my H2 tech since it's going in for oil change and minor isuues.

He said it might be winter fuel additives that fuel companies are required to add by some states for winter emissions?!?! Anyone else hear of this or have lowering gas mileage in winter months??

I was thinking throttle body but I have no other issues...no bad idle, no surging, etc.

I do have a supercharger but it was added well over 2500 miles ago.

Thanks...

PARAGON
12-18-2003, 10:01 PM
I've never heard of winter changes for gasoline. In diesels they add something to keep it from gelling due to the cold weather but I wouldn't think you would have this issue with gasoline.

Centerfire
12-18-2003, 10:07 PM
Never heard of that either.. A small question , have you been running around in 4w Lock a lot since "winter" set in.

Mike

Cincinnati h2
12-18-2003, 10:25 PM
I have noticed this for years every winter. You are correct about the additives, reformulated gas is sold in the winter with a higher alcohol content to eliminate fuel line freeze up. Some areas of the country use reformulated fuel year round to get out off emmision testing so the mileage in these areas would not change in the winter. The alcohol is cleaner burning but does affect mileage. I have read articles in magazines that this is why some states/counties have gone to emmision testing, because it is cheaper to pay for the testing once every year or two than to run the reformulated gas year round.

H2 novice

Patriot
12-18-2003, 10:34 PM
No four wheel locks or lows...just regular driving

PARAGON
12-18-2003, 10:59 PM
Here is what chevron has to say about the issue: http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuels/bulletin/oxy-fuel/realwrld.shtml

Patriot
12-19-2003, 12:40 AM
Paragon,

Man, that article was a bunch of crap. Sounds like a cover up.

Mechanical problems??..why would they be more in the winter???

Snow and slush on the road??? Come on...really.

unaslob
12-19-2003, 12:56 AM
one thing I find annoying, is that when you have the air on the windsheild, you cannot lock out the aircompressor.

I almost always have the air on the whindsheild, so I always have the compressor running... which lowers MPG...

unaslob

Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad 'tip'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX CB, Dual 4' Firestik fiberglass whips, front tinted windows, 7" Homer Simpson decal (teehee)!

Drag
12-19-2003, 04:52 PM
Could be that you are running your defroster more now, too. The radiator may require extra cranking off of the engine, so it will have to work harder in the winter to keep up with heating the interior. Just a thought.

Yes, this is my truck. No, I will NOT help you move.

Big Z
12-19-2003, 05:39 PM
My mileage changed exactly 1MPG. This was expected since I put the snow tires back on--37's--center siped and studded. Same as last year.

FrgMstr
12-20-2003, 02:25 AM
They start pumping the gas with more than usual Methyl Tertiary Butyle Ethylene or MTBE. Makes for more sparky gas during the cold hard winter. Enjoy.

My job: http://www.HardOCP.com

H2HH
12-20-2003, 03:17 AM
Guys,
Your loss of milage is due to the clean air act requirements that normally show up in winter, with the temperature inversions. MTBE,Ethanol and other oxygenating agents "helps your community stay under the maximum allowable limits for CO emissions".
We had MTBE for two winters here in Anchorage, mileage went down and many complained of headaches. The state and feds got the message and now we have 10% Ethanol by weight added to our gas,instead of MTBE- not to mention anyone living in town must get an emissions test to get new tags. I experiencd a 10-15% loss of mileage.
H

DURAMAX TIM
12-20-2003, 10:00 AM
The major fuel MPG change is it takes 5-7 miles of driving to get the car up to operating temp and then it shifts into OD/lock converter.
Also all the oils are a lot stiffer in the cold than summer.
The tires have a higher rolling resistance when cold vs warm.
IT all adds up to lower MPG.
I had 3 HD2500 Chevy and GMC P/U trucks w/ 6L motor.
Summer 13-14 mpg and winter 11-12 mpg, I commuted the same for years and the knew the miles/tank very well.

Yell'r 04 Lux w/ air, sunroof,F&R brush bars
Traded 03 White Lux
03 GMC D/A CC SLT LB soon to be 04

89vette
12-24-2003, 01:33 PM
My miliage has also dropped since it got cold. I was getting 11 and now I get 10.

03 Sunset H2!
89 Vette
02 Escalade

Dan
12-26-2003, 12:01 PM
On the other hand you have the argument that cold air is more dense, thus creating more horsepower. More horsepower = lighter foot on the pedal = better mileage.

Just stirring the pot! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

-------------------------------------------------
SUT on order 12/02. 12 months down, 6 to go!
-------------------------------------------------

Patriot
12-26-2003, 01:18 PM
I think it's a combination of things. Found out that just 10-15 min of idle/warm up will send gas mileage average down about 0.3 to 0.4. It comes back up a bit once you start moving but those "0mpg's" are in the overall average equation thus diluting the overall MPG.

ANTI_H2
12-27-2003, 12:05 AM
Gas mileage sucks anyway, why worry. You bought a POS and it eats gas, get use to it.

Hum2
12-29-2003, 01:40 PM
Hey Loser "Anti_H2"! "H2 'L'ookie", Go back to your simple rock!

Jason...time to clean the toilet! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Funny Seth!

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net

PARAGON
12-29-2003, 02:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ANTI_H2:
Gas mileage sucks anyway, why worry. You bought a POS and it eats gas, get use to it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It is actually a limited slip with traction control, not pos