PDA

View Full Version : Flickering Headlights

Hum2
09-20-2005, 10:14 AM
Hey anyone have headlights that occassionaly flicker? They don't go out, and they are not dimming, just a slight flicker once in a while.

Ric

Hum2
09-20-2005, 10:14 AM
Hey anyone have headlights that occassionaly flicker? They don't go out, and they are not dimming, just a slight flicker once in a while.

Ric

VTSTOMPER
09-20-2005, 10:32 AM
What are you doing at that point? Sounds like a weak battery. I have seen it happen with big sound systems, and even when AC turns on with trucks that have weak batteries.

Hum2
09-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Not doing anything, just pulling out of the garage, sitting at a traffic light, etc. I had mentioned it to the dealer a long time ago....of course they can't duplicate it. I had an ignition/battery issue some time ago....they replaced the ignition and then the battery. (radio was resseting it self at start-up) That did nothing to resolve the occassional flicker of the headlights.

Ric

BIGT
09-20-2005, 03:55 PM
I noticed mine does it when the compressor kicks on for the rear air suspension. Do you have the rear air suspension?

Tony.

redbulljunkie67
09-20-2005, 04:20 PM
Mine did it as well I only noticed it when pulling out of the garage or pulling up to another car.It was a loose headlight.

Hum2
09-20-2005, 05:43 PM
Humm: Good points....no loose head light as off-roading does not affect anything. I do have the compressor/air springs. What I see is a flicker, not a dimming as if there were a power draw. I'll try and pay attention to the compressor...it goes on/off all the time adjusting the air ride..maybe I'll park it in the dark, and hit the rear height adjust to see if that triggers a flicker.

Ric

xonxoff
09-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Thanks, I thought I was seeing things. My 04 does it. I will have to see under what conditions it happens. I think i notice it most just after start up.

PARAGON
09-20-2005, 11:58 PM
If you have the stock battery still in there. Take and grab the POS cable at the battery and give it a good strong wiggle. It should not move at the battery. If it does your post is loose or has failed.

Also, in front of the DS front tire on the frame is where the NEG cable grounds and it can be loose and cause eratic behavior. Obviously, loose battery cables anywhere can cause it.

On the DS of the engine in the little red box, those connections need to be tight.

DennisAJC
09-21-2005, 12:45 AM
Whenever I roll up my windows I get the dimming but not the flicker.

Dan
09-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Same here, if you pull up on the window switch with the window already up it will create a load and dim the lights a bit. I know its normal but it annoys me. Wonder if a better battery would cure it?

Ric, I'd check the battery & ground connections, and maybe go out an night and wiggle some wires to see if you have something loose.

Hum2
09-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the great input.

Definitely not a dimming situation....can't seem to replicate it no matter what I do. Off-roading/giggling wires/etc. I had the original factory battery replaced once...bad post....but all it did was reset the radio upon turning the ignition switch on...thus why they replaced the ignition switch first, but that didn't resolve the issue until they replaced the battery.

I'm thinking Phil is on the right track, but I only see a volt drop if I turn on all 8 off-road lights at the same time....but that does not cause a flicker. They claim to have checked the alternator with no issues. Flicker me! :-)

Ric

H2 Bill
11-18-2005, 02:54 PM
Has anybody found a resolution to this problem?

VTSTOMPER
11-18-2005, 03:00 PM
i see mine do it very slightly when the air compressor comes on to self level.

Mr. I - Man
11-18-2005, 03:03 PM
Does this only happen when you plug your personal massage device into one of the 12v outlets???

Hum2
11-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Funny I-man, but "NO"!!!

Thanks Vista....it may be related to the rear compressor, haven't paid enough attention to that possibility.

Ric

Planohummer
11-21-2005, 09:25 PM
The new GM SUV/Truck platforms are using 'demand sensing voltage' in anticipation of future hybrid needs. One of the by-products is lights flickering at different stages of electrical load. The rear compressor would be a prime example.

Hum2
12-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Funny how my dealer has no clue....maybe not funny...maybe sad! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

VTSTOMPER
12-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Many times it is who you talk with at your dealer. I find it nice to speak with the service manager. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hum2
12-10-2005, 03:53 AM
Service Manager....That would be who I spoke with!

Ric