PDA

View Full Version : Removing silver door handle surrounds

RedGTS
04-30-2004, 01:03 PM
I'm going to have my silver interior pieces painted on my new H2, and searching the forums has pretty much answered my questions on removing all the dash and console pieces, but I'm still not sure about the pieces surrounding the door handles. Obviously the small center section comes right off after removing one screw and sliding it over the door handle, but what about the remaining section that's integrated into the door pull and bolted to the inside of the door? It looks to me like it's an integral part of the door panel. And if it is, how did people go about painting it? (I've seen pics of H2 interiors with those pieces painted).

On an unrelated note, I have several cars and frequent many message boards, but I don't think I've come across a poster like this Hummer Man character. What's up with that? My guess is that one of the robots my 10 year old daughter "talks" to on AOL has become self-aware and has started interacting with this forum, but that's only a hunch.

Thanks!

RedGTS
I'm going to have my silver interior pieces painted on my new H2, and searching the forums has pretty much answered my questions on removing all the dash and console pieces, but I'm still not sure about the pieces surrounding the door handles. Obviously the small center section comes right off after removing one screw and sliding it over the door handle, but what about the remaining section that's integrated into the door pull and bolted to the inside of the door? It looks to me like it's an integral part of the door panel. And if it is, how did people go about painting it? (I've seen pics of H2 interiors with those pieces painted).

On an unrelated note, I have several cars and frequent many message boards, but I don't think I've come across a poster like this Hummer Man character. What's up with that? My guess is that one of the robots my 10 year old daughter "talks" to on AOL has become self-aware and has started interacting with this forum, but that's only a hunch.

Thanks!

RedGTS

Thanks!

Dan
04-30-2004, 02:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedGTS:
robots my 10 year old daughter "talks" to on AOL <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean Eliza? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://fury.com/aoliza/

I think you're on to something!

Hummer H2
04-30-2004, 02:48 PM
RegGTS That plastic piece around the door handle is plastic welded to the door panel. You can use a soddering iron to melt the plastic enough to take the piece off. After paint you just use the sorrering iron to remelt the tabs to put it back in place. The hardest part is trying to take off the pull/grab handle. You need to make sure you heat up the bolts a lot to try and get that handle off properly. Just take your time with it and you'll be ok.

RedGTS
04-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Thanks HH2. I was afraid there was heat or cutting involved. I take it you remove the door panel and then deal with it from the inside? I'll let my body shop buddy who's doing the painting take a look at them, and if it looks too risky I might just leave them silver and paint everything else.