PDA

View Full Version : USASPEC iPod Adapter Installed!

FreeorDie2
08-18-2005, 10:19 PM
After waiting a long time, I finally bought and installed the USASPEC iPod adapter (model # PA11-GM) in my '05 SUT. Part of the long wait was trying to get my local Car Audio store to order and install it and I don't know why, but they stopped returning my calls after about a month. They sell the PAC unit and I think they wanted me to buy that instead. Anyway, I did it myself.

First, thanks to HappyJack for the center console removal instructions -- I probably wouldn't have been able to do it without them. It took me about 4 hours over 3 evenings with most of that time dedicated to removing the console without damaging anything. I could probably do it again in less than half the time. It comes with a cable set that inserts between the two existing cables and the TNR and adds a third cable into which you plug the cable that goes to the PA11. Another cable runs between the PA11 and the iPod. I didn't really know where to put the PA11 unit. . .I decided to mount it using 2-sided tape inside the plastic molding under the dashboard. That worked perfectly since it's two bolt access to the unit and I have the shorter wire to the iPod going right into the glovebox. The little compartment on the left side of the glovebox is the perfect place to leave the iPod when it's connected.

The unit works just as advertised -- make sure the dip switches are set and it's pretty much plug and play. Hit the button with the little CD pic on it and the iPod came right up as CDX. The CD changer controls, again, worked just as advertised with CD6 being all the songs and CD1-5 bringing up either the first 5 playlists or 5 specially named (GM1plus whatever you want, GM2plus, etc.) Steering wheel controls work just as they would with the CD changer. The unit can also be set to directly control the iPod instead of the remote playlist mode. In other words, in the remote mode, you cannot use the iPod's screen and click wheel -- in direct mode you can, but lose the GMplaylist selection feature. Anyway, that was one of the reasons I mounted it for fairly easy access -- in case i decide to try the direct mode.

Anyway, I'm real pleased with it . . . however, if I run into problems or the thing turns out to be a piece of sh*t, I'll follow up.

Bill

FreeorDie2
08-18-2005, 10:19 PM
After waiting a long time, I finally bought and installed the USASPEC iPod adapter (model # PA11-GM) in my '05 SUT. Part of the long wait was trying to get my local Car Audio store to order and install it and I don't know why, but they stopped returning my calls after about a month. They sell the PAC unit and I think they wanted me to buy that instead. Anyway, I did it myself.

First, thanks to HappyJack for the center console removal instructions -- I probably wouldn't have been able to do it without them. It took me about 4 hours over 3 evenings with most of that time dedicated to removing the console without damaging anything. I could probably do it again in less than half the time. It comes with a cable set that inserts between the two existing cables and the TNR and adds a third cable into which you plug the cable that goes to the PA11. Another cable runs between the PA11 and the iPod. I didn't really know where to put the PA11 unit. . .I decided to mount it using 2-sided tape inside the plastic molding under the dashboard. That worked perfectly since it's two bolt access to the unit and I have the shorter wire to the iPod going right into the glovebox. The little compartment on the left side of the glovebox is the perfect place to leave the iPod when it's connected.

The unit works just as advertised -- make sure the dip switches are set and it's pretty much plug and play. Hit the button with the little CD pic on it and the iPod came right up as CDX. The CD changer controls, again, worked just as advertised with CD6 being all the songs and CD1-5 bringing up either the first 5 playlists or 5 specially named (GM1plus whatever you want, GM2plus, etc.) Steering wheel controls work just as they would with the CD changer. The unit can also be set to directly control the iPod instead of the remote playlist mode. In other words, in the remote mode, you cannot use the iPod's screen and click wheel -- in direct mode you can, but lose the GMplaylist selection feature. Anyway, that was one of the reasons I mounted it for fairly easy access -- in case i decide to try the direct mode.

Anyway, I'm real pleased with it . . . however, if I run into problems or the thing turns out to be a piece of sh*t, I'll follow up.

Bill