PDA

View Full Version : Bumper Letters

WhiteH2Kid
03-10-2004, 12:55 PM
Does anybody know the exact size of the rear bumper letters and the font I am trying to make a decalthats the same size as the letters in the back bumper but cant figure out the size and font.

WhiteH2Kid
Does anybody know the exact size of the rear bumper letters and the font I am trying to make a decalthats the same size as the letters in the back bumper but cant figure out the size and font.

WhiteH2Kid

It\'s a Dry Heat
03-10-2004, 05:05 PM
I've got a brother-inlaw that has a sign shop. some of the tools he uses makes letters. He makes signs for doctors offices and very big stuff using a table with a router driven by a computer. he can make letters out of any type of material. If you would like to make something special for your hummer. contact a few sign shops. If anything you will come away with the font and its size. Let us know if you find our.

Vern

HummMe
03-10-2004, 10:04 PM
There is a guy on ebay that sells the bumper letters in vinyl. Dont know if this helps you, I remember the cost being @ $25. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

max
03-31-2004, 11:50 AM
There is no related font. I had my designer measure the bumper recesses and he drew them in "Autocad". He converted them to a DXF file and then imported them into a G-code program. This was installed in a wire EDM machine and they were cut out of stainless and then plated. I know, why not just buy them? I have the "stuff" and like quality. If anyone wants the files, specify the format and give me an email (files are large).

DURAMAX TIM
03-31-2004, 02:12 PM
Max I was talking to Big C about doing the same thing except I was going to digitize a set and wire them from 3/8 SS plate then bead blast them.
Give it a different look.

Hum2
03-31-2004, 02:51 PM
Hey Max:

Would love to have them.

What formats do you have available, MS Word?, JPG, gif?

Ric
Hum2@cox.net

max
03-31-2004, 03:06 PM
Autocad, G-code, DXF, Mechanical Desktop...
These are all engineering programs and are used
for CNC machines and EDM cutters. Can be used on laser cutters and flame cutters also. They are not great for viewing.

DURAMAX TIM
03-31-2004, 03:16 PM
Max, I haven't been in autocad for a while but can u export out of AC to an .igs file.
If not i'll need a .dxf file.
I'll PM my email address.

Easy Ed
03-31-2004, 03:44 PM
max, Thanks for the .dwg's. I plotted them out to full scale and will take scissors to them and see how they fit on the bumper, (just to double check) and then send the .dwg's out to a vendor who owes me a favor http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks again

Hum2
03-31-2004, 04:22 PM
Hey Max:

I could do with the .dwg's

Ric
Hum2@cox.net

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net
www.OMAHOG.com (http://www.OMAHOG.com)

DURAMAX TIM
03-31-2004, 04:32 PM
Ed who owes u a favor, do they have a wire machine?

H2Finally
03-31-2004, 04:41 PM
Max, I'd appreciate the .dwg also: h2finally@cox.net. Thanks!

max
03-31-2004, 05:15 PM
OK, I sent out to all of the above. Could one of you figure out how to post the files so that all may download them without me emailing eveyone. Also, when anyone is wire EDM cutting them, you can stack a bunch and cut a whole bunch of them for only the extra material charge. The better the material, the better the results. SS or aluminum work great.

Easy Ed
03-31-2004, 05:34 PM
You are a popular guy max http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

DURAMAX TIM, Got a couple vendors that do laser cutting to 3/4" thick and one of them does water jet cutting also. Waiting for an e-mail response from the one who does both to see what he can do http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hummer Man
03-31-2004, 10:27 PM
OKAY GUYS HERE IS THE FONT !

TYPE "HUMMER"
Highlight the text
right click over the text
Select Font
Click the font tab
Select Franklin Gothic Heavy (for the font)
Change the font size to 20
Change the style to Bold
Click on Character Spacing Tab
Change the scale to 150%
Change the spacing from NORMAL to EXPANDED
Change the spacing from 1pt to 2pt

I gave this to forum members back in the early days - check some of my oringinal post!

Easy Ed
03-31-2004, 10:31 PM
max, Not complaining here, far from it but looks like there may be a difference in the letter "R". The best way to explain it is to look at the two links I posted below. One is solid and the other (like what is on mine) has the need for a "hole" in the letter. No problem, I"ll get the digital calipers out and take some measurements and edit the drawing this weekend.

http://www.h2elite.com/Rearbumper.html
http://store3.yimg.com/I/xccessory_1786_3473978

Hum2
04-01-2004, 02:29 PM
Hey Max:

If you sent it to me I must have deleted it thinking it was a bad e-mail...sorry.

Could you send it to eric.d.hines@uasce.army.mil this time?

Ric
Hum2

max
04-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Hum2..Sent to both emails.
Hummer Man, where did you find or how did you figure out the font? Would of saved me a pile of time measuring. Is there 2 types of bumpers as mentioned by Easy Ed?

Hum2
04-01-2004, 06:11 PM
Got all 5 files, thanks Max!

Ric

kalantar
04-03-2004, 07:47 AM
Could you forward out the files to ali@kalantarproperties.com or does anyone out there who produced these want to sell them?

frank6150
04-03-2004, 01:55 PM
Busted!

KenP
04-04-2004, 03:17 AM
Hummer Man's original post?:

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=7836011751&r=7836011751#7836011751

posted 11-03-02 06:18 PM
Lots of new aftermarket goodies for H2 showing up online and on EBAY.
Item #1395436050 is a Hummer H2 Rear window spoiler available in black or painted to match your H2. at $350 it seems kinda pricey. Prices on this type of item should come down in the future.

Regards, The "hummer guy"

It is very prophetic.... http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ChuckE
08-14-2004, 07:21 AM
I wanted to make my rear bumper letters really stand out, and I didn't want to spend 60 to 100 dollars for them. I decided to just cut out my own, from white reflective tape. Using an Exacto blade and a little care, it really wasn't too hard.

The only problem was I couldn't locate 3" wide, white reflective tape.
So, instead, I did locate some 1.5" wide tape.
At first I figured I'd just butt up one edge to the other and trim to suit.
Turned out it was much more trouble than it was worth. So I just laid down the "bottom half" of the letter, and trimmed it to fit into the recess of the individual letter. The 2nd piece I laid in, just over lapped the bottom, and I trimmed it to the edges of the letter.

The result is a very nice looking standout HUMMER lettering that is white in the daytime (matches my white H2) and at night, when headlights hit them they really stand out.

ChuckE
12-11-2004, 12:20 AM
I finally got around to taking a picture of my rear bumper with the camera flash illuminating the white reflective tape that I put in the rear bumper HUMMER lettering indents.

There is no outside lighting here, it is all from the camera flash. Those letters really stand out, which looks good (IMO), day or night, on my white H2. And that glowing look happens from any angle that the light comes from, because of the reflective nature of the tape.

Black 05
12-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Hi
I have a wire EDM machine. Can you send me the .dxf or .dwg file?

ChuckE
12-13-2004, 06:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Black 05:
I have a wire EDM machine. Can you send me the .dxf or .dwg file? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who are you addressing that to?

A "wire EDM machine" appears to be a Wire EDM (electrical discharge machining) which uses an electrically energized thin brass wire to slice through metal - including difficult-to-machine metals.

The compatible materials are: Steel, super alloys, titanium, aluminum, brass, and most metals.
I don't see TAPE mentioned. My guess anything like these plastic tapes might catch fire in a Computer Aided Machine (CAM) as this.

As for those file types or formats, I have found,
DXF = AutoDesk Drawing Interchange Format
DWG = AutoCAD drawing

Who here has said anything about any CAD program?

Now, if you were talking to me, I have no files regarding the letters I cut out. I just put the reflective tape in the indents and used an Xacto blade to cut to the edges of the letters. It took about an hour for all the letters, taking my time.

PARAGON
12-13-2004, 06:17 PM
Chuck,

If you weren't so adept at drudging up old threads as well as blinded by your own *******ness you would get this.

Go back and read the thread and you will understand why Black05 posted what he posted, since I don't think anyone here is interested in your cut-n-paste reflecto-tape.

****, if you are going to bring old threads back to life at least read them.

Easy Ed
12-13-2004, 09:45 PM
Black 05, you have mail at your elsasser@mts.net address you list in your profile.

Black 05
12-14-2004, 04:14 AM
THANKS!! I will cut out a set in the next few days.

ChuckE
12-14-2004, 08:42 AM
Gee whiz Paragon, I do apologize when I find I said something wrong or inappropriate. I was the one who resurrected this "dead" post by mentioning something I found useful. Black 05, if I offended you, in any way, I apologize.

Looking back on the thread, I see that 8 and 9 months ago the posts were in regards to the CAD files. So I now understand what Black 05 was talking about. However it would have been more immediately understandable if Black 05 had started his post with a name, since he was "talking" to someone nearly 20 posts ago (and on another page). It just makes for more understandability.

I simply asked Black 05 who was he addressing, and I explained what my thinking was. What's wrong with you?

Paragon, I don't understand your volatility, your immediate need to start name calling and cursing. Have you ever seen a therapist? I think you may have anger management issues. Do you often drive with this anger? Please calm down.

PARAGON
12-14-2004, 01:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ChuckE:
Paragon, I don't understand your volatility, your immediate need to start name calling and cursing. Have you ever seen a therapist? I think you may have anger management issues. Do you often drive with this anger? Please calm down. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>My post had as much volatility as a ant fart. Where did you get anger from my post? Why is it that pointing out the obvious is seen as angry? I apologize if my cursing offended your delicate sense of self.http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif.......****!