PDA

View Full Version : Question for KenP

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
12-15-2004, 02:08 AM
Ken I read a thread where You were questioning and researching the difference in stock H2 cats and the aftermarket high flow cats. What conclusion did You come to? Is the factory cat just as good with headers and flowmaster 40 duals or do I need to go with aftermarket high flow cats.
Get back to Me as soon as You. I got to put my order in tomorrow and do not want to waste money. I've got a dynatech stainless catback sys. with x pipe for $1400 installed by pro's if I want them. Let Me know what You think or anyone else as well.
Thanks
Rick

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
Ken I read a thread where You were questioning and researching the difference in stock H2 cats and the aftermarket high flow cats. What conclusion did You come to? Is the factory cat just as good with headers and flowmaster 40 duals or do I need to go with aftermarket high flow cats.
Get back to Me as soon as You. I got to put my order in tomorrow and do not want to waste money. I've got a dynatech stainless catback sys. with x pipe for $1400 installed by pro's if I want them. Let Me know what You think or anyone else as well.
Thanks
Rick

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
Thanks
Rick

HGW
12-20-2004, 07:50 PM
Better off using the PM feature to reach KenP.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
12-20-2004, 08:42 PM
I got my answer from performance shop who installed headers. He has seen near new cats breaking down after just adding headers only and for the few hundreds save by leavng them off it was not worth it. I got full system headers and Hgh flow conveters all stainless.
thanks
H2mildandwild
Rick

KenP
12-21-2004, 12:23 PM
Rick! Sorry for not seeing this yesterday. My computer has been down, AGAIN, since last week. I just got it back yesterday.

I was told by two shops that the stock cats have 400 cells/sq in, as do the high flow cats. That is why I did not get them. However, after reading your post I will consider them for the future. I think Kayck bought them.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
12-31-2004, 01:02 AM
Hey KenP
You have to keep in mind 99% of the H'2 are not pushing the volume of air thru thier engine out the exhaust like You do. Even at more normal flow Your H2 is not normal. You turned it in to an air eater. The converters these guys were showing were from just a street rod not pushing anything like the HP You do. That info from My guy is what made me realise if I'm going SC then I better have some place to go with all that air.
I would not begin to guess how quick Your rig would eat up a stock converter but just keep an eye on it.
Rick

KenP
12-31-2004, 03:28 AM
I just don't know, Rick. According to what I have been told by the folks that sell and install the high flow cats I don't need them. These guys make their money on exhaust systems so I can't imagine they are making it up.

However, as soon as I get a chance to do further research I will. I am very curious about them.

Can someone else add anything to this? Especially someone with some numbers as this has come up before.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
12-31-2004, 01:53 PM
Ken
Let Me know what You find out in Your research. My exhaust shop also told me that the new stock ones would be all right. To get the performance work done I went to people the exhaust shop recommended and the performance shop are the ones who told me about converter problems. Keep in mind they are looking at it from a performance angle and the complete flow of intake air and exhaust air all in one big picture. The perofrmance guys are the ones who had the idea of checking out stock versus perf. cats. They decided to research and cut open used stock cat with just 8,000 miles on it versus the high flow cat.
I know You will dig it so let Me know what You find out. I just think of how much flow into engine and out exhaust you have and that got Me to wondering about Your situation and what mine would be once SC is on My H2.
Rick

kdio
12-31-2004, 03:08 PM
I burned up my one of my cats and replaced them with Magna Flow cats. The size of the Magna Flow cats are a lot bigger than the stock ones. Magna flow makes different size cats, so I went with the largest one I could fit. They are CARB certified as a replacement for the 6.0 engine.
I don't know if my stock cats were blocked but after I replaced them the performance gain was awesome, and sounds way better.

KenP
12-31-2004, 08:31 PM
That must be where the flow difference is. I was not aware they were larger.

Which one did you get?