PDA

View Full Version : Is this an Open Diff? ;)

DRTYFN
01-21-2004, 01:39 AM
I was at my dealership today and my techs said there was something I might like to see in the shop. They said the guy told them he was "playing around in the snow doing cookies in 4Lo when he heard a pop". He was probably spinning around on the snow and hit a patch of pavement with one of the front wheels and "popped" his diff. There was enough focre to chip off some of the teeth on the gears.

S&B Member since '03

DRTYFN
01-21-2004, 01:39 AM
I was at my dealership today and my techs said there was something I might like to see in the shop. They said the guy told them he was "playing around in the snow doing cookies in 4Lo when he heard a pop". He was probably spinning around on the snow and hit a patch of pavement with one of the front wheels and "popped" his diff. There was enough focre to chip off some of the teeth on the gears.

S&B Member since '03

DRTYFN
01-21-2004, 01:40 AM
http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

S&B Member since '03

alecs wife
01-21-2004, 01:45 AM
I wonder why his traction controll system did not prevent this??

WOOOWWWW!!! Was it covered under warenty?

Front Locker, Stealth winch, 37" Super Swampers SSR,low center of gravity = Ultimate H2

unaslob
01-21-2004, 01:47 AM
what an ass... I hope his warranty didnt pay for this... as a GM stockholder... I would be appauled!!!

unaslob

Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad 'tip'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX CB, Dual 4' Firestik fiberglass whips, front tinted windows, 7" Homer Simpson decal (teehee)!

btaylor
01-21-2004, 01:58 AM
I did the same thing to my front diff climbing a big sand hill about 2 weeks ago. My H2 got into a "hop" and I kept the power on. Bad driving on my part. I didn't ask them to fix it under warranty, it was clearly my problem. My dealer, Morvin K. Brown, took nice care of me and cut the price of parts. It cost me $4,700 to get back on the road, or should I say, dirt.

I think I have about 7,000 off-road miles now and I'm still learning, but getting much better then when I started.

5spd
01-21-2004, 02:59 AM
I know they use aluminum to save weight on vehicles, thats why I like my iron 3rds. Ive seen that happen on IFS toyotas also.

Bad Dawg
01-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Looks like a picture of mine after playing on a snow/ice covered trail. Slow and easy seems to be how these rigs like it.

You can never have enough horsepower! Yellow LUX, Airforce intake, stainless headers and exhaust, Gobi rack and ladder, roof mounted off road lights, full wrap brush guard, rear light guards, outside tire carrier, Rancho 4" suspension lift, Ultra "EN4CER" 17x9 wheels, Goodyear 37/12.50R17 MT/R tires, removed side-step bars, 9.5ti warn multi-mount winch.

Buckeye Hummer
01-21-2004, 03:26 PM
A good friend of mine from the SoCal group (Rick R.) once came out of his pewter h1 during just before a very nasty hill climb and told everyone "Hummers are torque Monsters, keep the rpm's constant and low, it'll pull you out" This is pretty basic stuff but it is so true. Hummers are made for torque, not speed so don't try to hammer up hills, over boulders or even on dirt roads or snow. That's not what it's all about.

Hummerdad
01-23-2004, 01:45 AM
Buckeye

Especially locked and low. If he was open and high, maybe he would have been luckier.

Sure wish I was going with you to El Mirage tomorrow.

Mark W