PDA

View Full Version : Winching: Multi-mount v. Integrated Bumper Mount

GeorgeSSSS
01-15-2005, 01:07 PM
I don't have winch (yet) but it seems to me that it makes more sense to have a multi-mount set-up rather than a fixed winch because you can put the multi-mounted winch in the garage and keep it clean when you aren't off roading and if you need to winch yourself out of trouble you can put the multi-mount in the rear hitch if that's the best solution. I'd like to hear some experinced winchers' pros and cons on multi-mount v. fixed winch before I make a decision (i.e., spend money).

Thanks,

George

GeorgeSSSS
I don't have winch (yet) but it seems to me that it makes more sense to have a multi-mount set-up rather than a fixed winch because you can put the multi-mounted winch in the garage and keep it clean when you aren't off roading and if you need to winch yourself out of trouble you can put the multi-mount in the rear hitch if that's the best solution. I'd like to hear some experinced winchers' pros and cons on multi-mount v. fixed winch before I make a decision (i.e., spend money).

Thanks,

George

GeorgeSSSS

Thanks,

George

RIC-H0
01-15-2005, 01:25 PM
I prefer the multimount over the fixed because of the flexibility from front to rear, and taking it with me, on other vehicles when I'm not in my H2. ie. My buddies 2500HD has the connectors for the winch, but has no winch yet.
It's easiest for me, but some prefer the fixed mount for the security and a little more stable.

I think it's all a matter of opinion!

Ric-H2

10 MPG
01-15-2005, 02:45 PM
RIC-H2, can you explain further, security as in not getting stolen? stability in operation? Thanks.

RIC-H0
01-15-2005, 04:40 PM
I've yet to have mine stolen, but if someone were to really want it, they could break the pin lock and take it off the front of my vehicle.

As far as Stability goes...with the multi-mount, the whole winch is resting on the receiver, and not mounted to the frame. I have exceeded the limits on the capacity of my winch a time or 2, but the whole time, I wasn't concern with the winch giving way as much as the receiver mount bolts breaking on me.

Just my 2 cents worth!
But I will continue to use my multimount!
I actually leave my winch on 100% of the time, because you never know when you may need it.
It's kinda like steel toes on a workboot, kinda inconvenient at times, but really nice to have when something causes you to need them!

Ric-H2

RI Hummer
01-18-2005, 02:27 AM
How do you have a front plate and a winch in states that require a front winch?

RI Hummer
01-18-2005, 02:28 AM
I mean front plate of course, Must be too late for me.

RIC-H0
01-18-2005, 04:46 AM
I normally don't have the front plate on mine, even though per state law it is required.(Great! I'm probably going to get a ticket now!)
The neatest way to mount your plate is, to bolt 2 pair of mag light mounting brackets to your plate(2 on top & 2 on bottom of plate), and then simply attach the plate to your roller fairlead. You can take your plate off and on as needed, and it keeps your fairlead nice and bug free at the same time!

Ric-H2

Adam in CO
01-18-2005, 03:07 PM
I prefer the MM. Can put it on the rear, can still use the front receiver, etc.