PDA

View Full Version : Key stuck in ignition and battery dead

TroysH2
12-07-2004, 12:45 AM
Have 51,000 miles and over 2 years use and relocated to a different climate. Battery has been getting weaker over the last several months. Does the key getting stuck have anything to do with the battery going completely dead. Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but they both happened at the same time.
Thanks for the help,
troy

TroysH2
Have 51,000 miles and over 2 years use and relocated to a different climate. Battery has been getting weaker over the last several months. Does the key getting stuck have anything to do with the battery going completely dead. Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but they both happened at the same time.
Thanks for the help,
troy

TroysH2
Thanks for the help,
troy

Adam in CO
12-07-2004, 01:13 AM
Once, when we blew one of the major fuses, everything shut down. Ignition, shifter, the works. Had the windows down, the car outdoors, and it was around midnight. Found a 24 hour auto parts store. It may very well be the battery. These stupid things have a bunch of dumbass security features that include making it impossible to move if the nightmare electrical system fouls up.

PARAGON
12-07-2004, 02:15 AM
They are directly related. When your battery is completely dead and you put the key in the ignition, you can't get it back out. Put a hot battery on it or get a jump and all is well.

Replace the battery and you will be squared away.

TroysH2
12-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Thank's PARAGON...
New battery solved it!
troy

RasterMaster
12-27-2004, 12:31 AM
Any ideas on what would cause this with a fully-juiced battery? No problems with the truck starting, but we have had extremes in weather here (last week 8 degrees above zero, today about 60 degrees).

guyzilla
12-27-2004, 02:24 PM
same exact thing happened to me. key stuck in ignition, car stuck in park (unable to move shifter), couldn't even use doorlocks or windows. Very strange but finally was able to get it jumped off after 2 times.
By the way, that large black thing in your dash they call onstar is worthless. Car has to be running to get anything done (hard to do with a dead car).

H2Beast
12-27-2004, 03:49 PM
Same thing happend to me..Although the weather been as hot as 43 degrees (c). Jump started it from my Jeep and everything went well. Before that I had same incedent but it wasn't the battery. It was ignition solnoid that stopped the entire car from moving..shifter, lights, locks, u name it..

Key getting stuck is as the guys said here. security issue u can go around it by dsconnecting the green/blue wire connecting the ign. solnoid. If u need I can post some pics.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
12-27-2004, 07:13 PM
H2Beast would You post some pictures on this. My 05 is not a daily driver but usually on weekend. We'll get Sat. or Maybe go out fri. and truck battery is dead. We only have like 5000 miles got it back in 4/04. I called service and read threads about relays sticking all that stuff. Here a couple weeks ago got in to go get dynatech stainless header etc. at the performance shop. It would not start. Finally get it charged and runninggot to shop. I'm telling him what is happening and he looks inside and grins. Tells me unplug radar detector and you won't drain your battery dead. I did not realise that the radar detector drew that much but we are talking for 5 to 6 days in between start ups. I've been trying to remember to unplug. Wish I could hard wire to ignition but need it in Silverado also. But it freaked me out the first time and I could not get key back until I hooked battery charger on 10 amp charge and all kind of bumps cherps whines and grinds started coming out of the dash. I just shut the door and walked off figuring if it blew up i had ins. LOL
Thanks
Rick

H2Beast
12-28-2004, 05:24 PM
I promise I will, the thing is that I have to remove the under steering dash cover and take pictures on my own setup. Believe it or not its been raining in Dubai since three days back and as soon as the rain stops I will get you the pics.

Regarding your radar detector..hmm why is it connected to an active 12 rather than a passive 12? why not connecting it to a line that witches off once the ignition is off?!

partsguy
12-28-2004, 08:27 PM
From what I know that vehicle is always runnnig the
battery .5volts, any kind of lights,or what ever
is plugged in will drain it DEAD.When not in charging mode(running)

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
12-28-2004, 08:52 PM
H2Beast
I'm to cheap to buy one for my daily drive and the other car so i just move it around. So I just use cig 12 volt. Ever so often I will leave it in h2 and not move it. it only happened twice but felt stupid after figured out what was wroung. Have not made the mistake again but plan on breaking down and getting one for H2. Does anyone have a radar detector they like. It does not have to be the most expensive to do the job but want one i can count on and I'll just hard wire it.
Thanks Beast make a guy hurt when already feels stupid! LOL LOL I do appreciate your help.
Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2Beast:
I promise I will, the thing is that I have to remove the under steering dash cover and take pictures on my own setup. Believe it or not its been raining in Dubai since three days back and as soon as the rain stops I will get you the pics.

Regarding your radar detector..hmm why is it connected to an active 12 rather than a passive 12? why not connecting it to a line that witches off once the ignition is off?! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

RasterMaster
12-29-2004, 03:47 AM
My problem was ignition cylinder...replaced and all is well. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif