PDA

View Full Version : Nav system/Back up camera

KAC
11-25-2002, 04:16 PM
Here's the visor mounted monitor:

You can also see the single color steering wheel.

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series

[This message was edited by KAC on November 25, 2002 at 10:27 AM.]

KAC
11-25-2002, 04:16 PM
Here's the visor mounted monitor:

You can also see the single color steering wheel.

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series

[This message was edited by KAC on November 25, 2002 at 10:27 AM.]

KAC
11-25-2002, 04:18 PM
Closeup of monitor

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series

KAC
11-25-2002, 04:19 PM
mounted under driver's side 2nd row seat

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series

KAC
11-25-2002, 04:21 PM
mounted under driver's side 2nd row seat - protective cover pulled back

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series

KAC
11-25-2002, 04:22 PM
not a great shot but there isn't much room to work with - nav system from the front

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series

KAC
11-25-2002, 04:24 PM
Here's the monitor with a picture from the back up camera

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series

KAC
11-25-2002, 04:25 PM
Here's the back up camera:

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series

ratesguy
11-25-2002, 07:16 PM
Wow. Where can I get the back-up set up.

Zing
11-26-2002, 12:57 AM
Hey Kim, when you drive in the rain get back to us and let us know how it works. I've hear that the camera gets wet and dirty and the vision gets really poor. I'm hoping that's not true because I want one of these.

KAC
11-26-2002, 09:31 AM
Soundworks installed all of this. The nav system is the AVIC-90DVD DVD Navigation System with DVD Player. I like it so far. It's a little more difficult to set up than the Alpine but once you get it set up, it's much easier to use. You climb in, say the name of the place you want to go and it sets up the route. Also, you can program it to automatically 'okay' out of the lawyer screen - couldn't do that with the Alpine, had to push the button every single time you got in the car.

They claim the camera is completely water and mud proof - I asked. Doubt the picture is great with rain streaming down over it though. I should get a chance to review it in the rain pretty soon - we're in our rainy season. After being in a drought for a year and a half, within the last 6 weeks we're now 5 inches *above normal* for rainfall for this year. And, being at sea level, we flood easily - should be fun in the H2!

Kim

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series

Texas Red
11-26-2002, 12:32 PM
Great pictures, Kim. Thanks a bunch for posting them. That's what's cool about this Forum, you can easily post pics.

BTW, may I ask the ball park cost of such a system (including the back-up camera)? Is there a button to switch from Nav to Camera view?

Envious in Texas.

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

Texas Red
11-26-2002, 12:34 PM
Oh, one more question. How thick is the display panel? Does it prevent Visor from stowing all the way?
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

KAC
11-26-2002, 06:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Texas Red:
BTW, may I ask the ball park cost of such a system (including the back-up camera)? Is there a button to switch from Nav to Camera view?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

$3650 completely installed for everything. lifetime warranty on the installation - 3 year warranty on the parts.

and the visor stows away well - not quite as flush as without the monitor but it doesn't stick out badly. Also, with the visor down and pushed toward the windshield, I have great visibility and can still see the map if I need to.

As I get the nav system set up more, I like it better. There's some work in getting the addresses stored in the system but once they're in there, you get in, tell it where you want to go and it takes care of everything else.

Kim

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series

Afreet
11-26-2002, 11:24 PM
Who makes the backup camera?

TonkaH2
11-27-2002, 01:09 AM
Kim:

I'm sure I'd be very happy with it for what it cost, but. . . it seems like it would be a pain to drive with the visor down when you are using the nav. Do they have an option to mount it on the top of the dash? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif If it folded down when you weren't using it it seems like it would be better.

Love the back-up camera though -much better than a trailer hitch mount.

-Jack
Yellow H2 on order
"I think I can make it. D'OH!"

MAC
11-27-2002, 01:15 AM
There is a link for backup camera in older posts under "Back up camera". Different setup.

You can add a back camera to your Hummer in the rear receiver.
http://www.real4wd.com/civ/specials/feature/BC.cfm

Pete
11-27-2002, 01:37 AM
I have a Kenwood navigation system KNA-DV2100 with an 8 inch Kenwood touchscreen LCD LZ-800W This system is verry easy to use it also has a back up camera, you could also play DVD in it
I am verry happy with this setup and would recommend to all. I wish the Nav. system on my boat was this easy to use

KAC
11-27-2002, 11:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TonkaH2:
Kim:

I'm sure I'd be very happy with it for what it cost, but. . . it seems like it would be a pain to drive with the visor down when you are using the nav. Do they have an option to mount it on the top of the dash? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif If it folded down when you weren't using it it seems like it would be better.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought it might be a pain at first too but it's not. If I push the visor all the way forward so it's touching the windshield, my visibility out the front is fine and I can still see the map if I need to. The other benefit of having it there is that I don't have to move my head to glance at it if I want to see the map while I'm driving. With the voice directions it gives though, I don't really need to see it. I drive with it folded at night because I don't want the light to distract me. I still get the directions fine. I have heard that some folks have mounted the monitor on the dash behind the air vents. Also, the company that installed mine will also remove the factory stereo and replace it with the Nav system and monitor. I didn't want to lose the CD player. The last vehicle I drove (Acura MDX) had the monitor mounted that way - it seemed okay at the time but I much prefer not having to move my head to see the map.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Love the back-up camera though -much better than a trailer hitch mount.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My only problem is remembering to use it - I'm not used to having it yet.

Kim

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series

KAC
11-27-2002, 12:31 PM
I've used the Pioneer system for a few days now. I also previously used the Alpine system in my Acura MDX.

The Pioneer is a little more complicated to set up but once it's set up, it's much easier to use. The Alpine had a touch screen which made data entry easier. The Pioneer has voice activation - once you have an address stored, just say your destination and the system does the rest. Another nice thing about the Pioneer is that you can set it to automatically "okay" out of the lawyer screen at the beginning - you couldn't do this with the Alpine. Every single time you start the vehicle, you have to push the 'okay' button before you can use the system. It doesn't sound like that big of a deal but it got to be a pain.

The Pioneer system will also play DVDs but you can't use the nav system while a DVD is playing.

The Pioneer system lets you assign sounds to locations - I assigned a dog bark to home (seems appropriate with 4 large dogs at home). When I get 1/4 mile away from home, I hear barks.

The Pioneer system searches by region when you're looking for a destination by name. The Alpine system searches the entire country so you end up with every Bennigan's listing in the country to scroll through to find the one that's nearby. It's helpful to have a smaller list. You can still access addresses across the country.

Overall, so far, I'm happy with the Pioneer system.

Kim

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series

HummerGirl
12-01-2002, 06:45 PM
Kim that is awesome...just found this post!!

Thanks for sharing your gadgets!!!

~amy

~amy
Reality is merely a crutch for those with a broken imagination.~anon.

m998
12-02-2002, 02:47 PM
I have the rear receiver back-up camera. It cost $999 from the dealer when I got the H2. The monitor mounts adjacent to the rear view mirror (left side). At first I thought it was a novelty item until I almost backed into a small car (couldn’t see it at all) in a parking lot. Now I use it all the time.
When it gets wet out, the camera is all but useless, unfortunately.

LaLegend
12-05-2002, 08:53 PM
In response to m998's message and all the discussion on the the infamous "Back-up Camera" or "Rear-View Camera", I believe I have discovered another alternative to the built-in hitch set-up.

The attached pic shows a H2 with a camera installed in the roof of the rear compartment. I'm sure one could use the monitor he/she desires whether it be located next to the conventional rear-view mirror, inside the sun visor, etc.

Most importantly, it should however get around the rain issue, constantly disconnecting due to off-roading, and mud build-up on the lens.

Does anyone have this set-up where they could share the pros and the cons?

LaLegend

Michael James
12-20-2002, 05:05 PM
Has anyone seen a nightvision camera for the H2 ??

MAC
12-20-2002, 10:08 PM
This rear compartment roof object looks like a lamp, not a camera. The lense looks too large.

KAC
12-21-2002, 10:22 AM
Here's a link to the night vision camera (http://www.accuratelocators.com/pdf/4000b.pdf) from Raytheon. Here's a picture (http://www.edmunds.com/future/2004/hummer/h2sut/4drcrewcab4wd/photo_2.html) of it on the SUT. And, here (http://www.yellowh2.com/Mods/tires/Pages/Image8.html) it is on an H2.

Pretty cool.

Kim

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series

smash
01-30-2003, 03:33 AM
I am picking one up but the camera will mounted to the top of the H2 so there is no glare and it will look like another light. I think that is the best way to go.

HeeHaw
03-23-2003, 03:34 PM
KIM, Do you regret installing the monitor in the sun visor? Looks akward to me. Just wondering. My screen is being mounted as I type and I shoud have the H2 back by noon CA time. I will post some pics.

My screen is being mounted near the passenger side console and is designed to be near the temp controls at about the same height.

Back to the orginal question, my screen is a Pioneer 6.5 inch and the one shown in the visor appears much smaller. Is your screen hard to see and what do you NOW think of the visor mount?

See ya

HeeeeeeeeHawwwwwwwwwww

tgue
03-24-2003, 03:13 PM
i mounted mine on the dash in the crack right inbetween the two air vents....if you lok at where the seem is on that entire panel it looks great and both can veiw it and you have your eyes more on the raod that way

Tiger Bait
03-24-2003, 05:13 PM
I'm having my Alpine 7" nav monitor mounted as I type this. I am mounting on the dash, but near the driver's side A-pillar. My visibility was already hindered slightly by inspection stickers and the like, so it is right close and easy to see, just shift my eyes to the left of the gauge cluster. Also it is blocked from view from the rear by my shoulder, in case local law enforement has a problem with it's location.

KAC
03-25-2003, 10:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HeeHaw:
KIM, Do you regret installing the monitor in the sun visor? Looks akward to me. Just wondering. My screen is being mounted as I type and I shoud have the H2 back by noon CA time. I will post some pics. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I don't regret it at all. After having one mounted about where the factory stereo is on my previous vehicle, I much prefer the visor mount. With the audible directions, I don't need to see the map normally. With the voice recognition, I don't need to see the map to enter a destination. When I enter a new destination, I pull down the visor, enter it, move the visor back out of the way and then get on my way. If I do want to see it for some reason, I pull down the visor and move it all the way forward - I can see the screen without taking my eyes from the road. I will say that it would be a pain if it weren't a voice activated system and I had to access the screen to do anything. For example, on my old system, I had to hit okay to get past the lawyer screen every single time I started the car. On this system, it can be set to automatically okay out of the lawyer screen or you can simply say "okay". No need to access the screen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Back to the orginal question, my screen is a Pioneer 6.5 inch and the one shown in the visor appears much smaller. Is your screen hard to see and what do you NOW think of the visor mount?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine's a 6 inch screen so not significantly smaller. I don't have any problems seeing it.

Kim

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series

HeeHaw
03-25-2003, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the feedback KIm.

HeeeeeeeeHawwwwwwwwwww