PDA

View Full Version : need wiring help

PastaPower
10-31-2005, 09:59 PM
Long time Forum reader, Newbe Forum Question: I'm installing an OEM '05 TNR, Nav/Video adapter, US Spec mobile 6-disc changer and mobile DVD player...what is the best 12 volt direct line and 12 volt acc line to tap into for these units and where to locate them. I'm also installing a Vizualogic rear view Hind Sight camera system using the integrated license frame camera-top mount. What is the easiest way I can access the reverse light wire and 12 volt at the rear?
Thanks to all that can help me!!
PastaPower

PastaPower
10-31-2005, 09:59 PM
Long time Forum reader, Newbe Forum Question: I'm installing an OEM '05 TNR, Nav/Video adapter, US Spec mobile 6-disc changer and mobile DVD player...what is the best 12 volt direct line and 12 volt acc line to tap into for these units and where to locate them. I'm also installing a Vizualogic rear view Hind Sight camera system using the integrated license frame camera-top mount. What is the easiest way I can access the reverse light wire and 12 volt at the rear?
Thanks to all that can help me!!
PastaPower

kodiakz
11-01-2005, 01:25 AM
You can use the heavier guage orange 12v constant off the radio. For the switched, I would recommend the large guage white wire on the inside of the of the drivers fuse panel. This wire carries plenty of current, and usually has little if any noise. However, this accessory wire is not on the RAP circuit, and, I have not had the chance to verify a good location for that yet. You can gain access to the reverse lights either at the bcm (somewhat difficult, light bgreen wire in a black connector). Or you could just pull off one of the rear lenses and grab the wire at the light. You can get 12v from your trailer hitch wiring (make sure the fuse is in the fuse box for that as they sometimes leave it out and just put in a red plastic jumper in that position. Good luck!

rodster
11-01-2005, 03:39 AM
Good stuff, kodiakz.

What's the RAP circuit?

I did exactly what you said with the rear brake tap. Worked perfectly.

PastaPower
11-01-2005, 07:43 AM
Thanks for your help Kodiakz! If you ever find out which acc wire is on the RAP circuit, please let me know.
Can I put three or more audio/video sources on one 12V direct and 12V Acc line without compromising anything and do I need to install an in-line fuse for each (constant & switched)and if so, what amp fuse rating would you recommend?

PastaPower
11-01-2005, 07:49 AM
Rodster....RAP is Retained Accessory Power. Like when you turn your ignition off and the OEM radio still plays until you take the key out. A must need if your installing XM....for me anyway.

PARAGON
11-01-2005, 12:04 PM
Personally, since you are doing an OEM nav, I would not splice the stock wiring. There is a fuse in the IP fuse panel called SEO ACC that is an unused circuit and perfect for grabbing and using for an extra 12V line.

kodiakz
11-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Definitely use fuses on each! You can tap multiple low current devices no problem. I would probably use 7.5-10 amp fuses (some devices come with much smaller fuses, but they can sometimes blow from a surge or when you are jump started). I think there is a sunroof wire in the passenger panel that is a large current RAP wire--I will check this and post back for you.

rodster
11-01-2005, 02:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PastaPower:
Rodster....RAP is Retained Accessory Power. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got it. Thanks!

PastaPower
11-01-2005, 03:56 PM
PARAGON,
Thanks for your input!
Do you know if the SEO ACC is on the RAP circuit because I would like to take your advice and use that line source for my 12V switched. Now what in your opinion is the best 12V "constant" source to use for all my Audio/Video/Nav interface equip while trying to avoid line noise. I don't quite understand why there are two 12 volt lines coming off of these sources (DVD player, Nav/Video interface, & 6-disc changer)to be wired....one wire for 12V ACC (switched/Ignition) and one for 12V constant??? Isn't one 12V wire hook up good enough whether it be constant or switched?

PastaPower
11-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Kodiakz,
All my Audio/Video equipment came with at least one in line fuse on one of the 12 volt lines but not on both and the fuses are very low amps. I have plenty of 10 amp fuses which I will use for all my 12V lines. Thanks!

PARAGON
11-01-2005, 04:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PastaPower:
PARAGON,
Thanks for your input!
Do you know if the SEO ACC is on the RAP circuit because I would like to take your advice and use that line source for my 12V switched. Now what in your opinion is the best 12V "constant" source to use for all my Audio/Video/Nav interface equip while trying to avoid line noise. I don't quite understand why there are two 12 volt lines coming off of these sources (DVD player, Nav/Video interface, & 6-disc changer)to be wired....one wire for 12V ACC (switched/Ignition) and one for 12V constant??? Isn't one 12V wire hook up good enough whether it be constant or switched? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, I pulled a new line from the battery through the firewall for constant 12v POS. I have some other stuff wired that I needed a dedicated wire and didn't want to go into the stock wiring.

I am not sure if the SEO ACC is RAP or not. I have changed up my wiring in my dash and have so much junk installed now that I can't remember what's wired to where. I'll try to look up the wiring diagram and see if it is or not.

kodiakz
11-02-2005, 01:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have changed up my wiring in my dash and have so much junk installed now that I can't remember what's wired to where </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
NO doubt there!!! One of my installers was calling me every 5 mins today to either yell at me or ask me what the heck some wire or other was in our old demo truck as he was trying to put it back to stock.

I don't believe that the SEO is on the rap, but I will try to get out there tomorrow and test a few wires so all can know for sure. There are several wires under the dash and below the ignition junction box that are plenty heavy enough for just about anything except perhaps an amp or a large power inverter.

H2Finally
11-02-2005, 02:46 AM
I think SEO is not RAP. The constant for audio is prob to retain memory settings. Para's solution is of course ideal, to run power directly from battery (fused). You can make this new power behave as switched or RAP using a relay, by tapping into existing switched or RAP as trigger.

For my low current use, I tap constant from flasher fuse, and switched from rear wiper -- with theory that neither are hardly used.

PastaPower
11-02-2005, 06:22 PM
H2Finally,
Thanks for your input....it is much appreciated.