PDA

View Full Version : DRL -> Headlights Wiring Schematics (pics)

NSXTC
12-09-2002, 08:33 PM
Below are two schematics to wire your DRLs:

The first one uses your parking lights to activate the DRLs.

The second one uses a switch that you install inside the vehicle.

First, some relay basics:
There are two basic circuits in a relay. One circuit turns the relay on and off; the other circuit passes current through the relay once it's turned on. The wire going to terminal 86 is the wire that activates the relay. When terminal 86 has power applied to it, the power goes through the relay to terminal 85 to ground. This turns the relay on. This allows high current (power)to go from terminal 30 to terminal 87, which puts power to the DRLs.

Basically, all you have to do is splice into one of the existing parking light's positive lead to the 86 post on the relay. Next splice both positive leads from the DRLs and combine into one wire of similar thickness. Take this combined wire and plug it into the 87 post on the relay. The rest should be self explainatory.

Standard disclaimer applies. Email me for disclaimer info. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by NSXTC on December 09, 2002 at 02:46 PM.]

NSXTC
12-09-2002, 08:33 PM
Below are two schematics to wire your DRLs:

The first one uses your parking lights to activate the DRLs.

The second one uses a switch that you install inside the vehicle.

First, some relay basics:
There are two basic circuits in a relay. One circuit turns the relay on and off; the other circuit passes current through the relay once it's turned on. The wire going to terminal 86 is the wire that activates the relay. When terminal 86 has power applied to it, the power goes through the relay to terminal 85 to ground. This turns the relay on. This allows high current (power)to go from terminal 30 to terminal 87, which puts power to the DRLs.

Basically, all you have to do is splice into one of the existing parking light's positive lead to the 86 post on the relay. Next splice both positive leads from the DRLs and combine into one wire of similar thickness. Take this combined wire and plug it into the 87 post on the relay. The rest should be self explainatory.

Standard disclaimer applies. Email me for disclaimer info. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by NSXTC on December 09, 2002 at 02:46 PM.]

NSXTC
12-09-2002, 08:34 PM
See image below

NSXTC
12-09-2002, 08:35 PM
See image below

NSXTC
12-09-2002, 08:38 PM
For those who want a simple plug-n-play kit to wire your DRLs with headlights, go to:

http://www.painlessperformance.com/relays.htm

They have distributors everywhere that can sell the kits. I've seen it as low as $28 (http://www.ricksspecialties.com/). Everything you need. It's the 30803 AUXILIARY LIGHT RELAY KIT. You can use the included switch or by-pass the switch if you want to turn it on with the parking lights.

BTW, Street Rod Builder (Jan 2003) has a great tech section on wiring your lights. 'Bright lights wired right' on page 66.

Gives you info and sources on how to wire aux. lights and stuff.

The tech article may be on line later at http://www.streetrodbuilder.com

==================
03 Metallic Red H2
02 Ducati 998R

NSXTC
12-09-2002, 10:57 PM
I'm studdying the fuse box in the engine bay. Apparently, there already exists relays for the DRLs.

I don't have my H2 with me (in the dealer having DVD system put in), but in theory, all you have to do is get a heavy guage wire and jump it from the FRT PARK fuse to #86 of the DRL relay. I'll have to try it when get the H2 back. If this works, it's like a freebie.

Anyone care to try in the mean time?

See pic below...Circled in yellow. Jumper is highlighted in red.

==================
03 Metallic Red H2
02 Ducati 998R

JCJ
12-09-2002, 11:02 PM
NSXTC,
Could you make it even easier for me, the relay rookie, by pointing out the color of each wire on your diagrams?
I tried puzzling it out under my H2's hood, but got confused by blue, black, brown etc. colored wires attached to head lights, parking lights, turning lights and DRLs.
How come, when you say to splice into the turning lights, the DRLs don't flash when the turning signal is given?
Thanks, buddy, JCJ

JCJ
12-09-2002, 11:05 PM
Sorry. Didn't see your last post of 16:57 hours.
I'll check it out tomorrow by day light.

buddy
12-09-2002, 11:09 PM
JCJ,

The reason DRL's don't active with the turn signals, is because you wire to the parking light circuit. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Buddy

JCJ
12-11-2002, 11:23 AM
I checked the fuse box behind batery too. Looks hard to me to connect the fuse of the parking lights with the relay of the DRL's. Or could one "just" remove the fuse and the relay and solder a short piece of wire between them and then plug them back in?
Another alternative is to sort out the rainbow-colored wire-spagetti coming out of the fuse box and splice a wire between the ones corresponding to park-light-fuse and the DRL-realy... Duh.

NSXTC
12-11-2002, 03:39 PM
Get yourself a Fuse Tap...See attached pic. Should work taping into the relay as well. Getting my H2 back this Thurs and will try it out.

====================
http://www.h2sut.com
====================

m998
12-11-2002, 06:27 PM
OK….OK! All this rudimentary technical talk about relays. Whadaya think were stupid or sumptin? I’ve run in lots of relays and never dropped that stick thingie, not even ONCE! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Sorry, couldn’t help myself. I’ve been on Harley Davidson, F150/Lightning, Corvette and other forums and this one has to have the best informed, courteous folks who openly share really useful info. Keep it up!!!
Kudos all around.
Now, get back to work! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Mango
12-12-2002, 01:29 AM
It seams to me that if you use the parking lights wire to trigger the DRLs after dark by splicing the pos lead to the 86 terminal on the DRL relay, during the day when the DRLs would normally be on, the current to the 86 terminal normally present will travel backwards up your splice into the parking lights circuit and activate them also. Anybody see a reason that this wouldn't happen?

Mango

NSXTC
12-12-2002, 06:14 AM
The parking lights have their own relays too (labeled 'PARK LP' located two relays above the DRL relay). So even though there's power to the parking light fuse, the relay is off so the parking lights will be off.

Again, I will take photos of all the stages once I get the H2 back.

====================
http://www.h2sut.com
====================

MAC
12-22-2002, 03:41 AM
Anyone know if No. 3157 replacement bulb will work in DRL?
Hummer manual says DRL uses 4157K or 3157KX bulbs.

It is easy to find 3157 replacement bulbs, but I have not seen 3157KX, bulb sellers don't know either. In our manual, 3157 is the bulb for tail/stop/turn or back up lamps, seem like lesser lamps compare to DRL.

What does "KX" in 3157KX stands for? heavier duty?
I want to replace DRL bulbs with brighter white or LED bulbs.

NSXTC
12-22-2002, 05:30 AM
3157s are dual filaments; my guess is the KX=single filament since it's used as DRLs.

JCJ
12-22-2002, 12:39 PM
Your H2 already back from DVD-install? Like it?
Any updates re connecting front-park-light to DRL-relay in fuse box?
Or should I go ahead and use the relay wiring kit I had bought recently?
So the way to go is (not making use of switch that is):
1. Connect (splice into) park light's positive (black?) lead to 86 post on relay (incl. in kit).
2. Connect (splice into) both DRL's positive (black?) leads to post 87 of relay.
3. Leave other posts of relay unused?
4. Or should I connect post 30 (fused) to positive battery terminal and post 85 to ground?
Thanks. JCJ

MAC
12-22-2002, 02:38 PM
All 3157 bulbs are used in parking, reverse and brake lamps, thus there is no hi or low beam involved, same for 3157KX for DRL.
JCJ, weeks ago, you gave me the numbers on the DRL bulbs you bought in Aruba, but those numbers do not correspond with any bulb numbers I have seen. Unfortunately usual websites' vehicle/bulb check list do not have Hummer yet.

Anyone knows what replacement bulb numbers for DRL? will standard 3157 work in DRL?

NSXTC
12-22-2002, 03:56 PM
I haven't done the relay kit approach as I'm still trying to get the fuse solution working.

Your relay kit connection is partially correct. I'm not sure if the + wires are black (normally this is reserved for ground). If you have a voltmeter, you can find out rather quickly.

#85 should be to ground. #30 should be to + power. Just review the pics at the begining of the post.

As far as the fuses, I tried it and the parking fuse to the DRL relay did not work. Either the schematics are wrong for the relay points or there's a constant 12 V through the parking light fuse. One other thing I'm going to try is to trigger it on the parking light relay itself. I got lazy and did not put a voltmeter to it to see where the switched power would be to power the DRL relays.

When I get back after New Years, I'll spend some time to trouble shoot the connections. I'm going to get this working yet. BTW, the relays are a b*tch to take off. You have to pry it off with a chip extractor or a thin blade screwdriver. Man they are in there good.

Got the DVDs back. Really nice. 7" screen on both head rest. Power inverter and independent switching. This allows for dual video source and an AC outlet. Surround thru factory speakers or wireless headphones. TV tunner as well.

buddy
12-22-2002, 07:16 PM
JCJ,

Use the brown wire if you're splicing into the parking lights(This would be the source wire to terminal #86).

#85-Ground
#30-Fused connection from (+) at battery
#87-To DRL's or whatever you're putting power to.

I know you can do it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JCJ
12-22-2002, 10:48 PM
Buddy,
Which color wire of DRL to splice into?
Just to be sure I won't short circuit the rig and cause major H2 bom! Thanx again. JCJ

buddy
12-22-2002, 11:17 PM
JCJ,

It's the light blue wire.

NSXTC
12-23-2002, 02:28 AM
Here's the wiring pic...