PDA

View Full Version : Turning off ABS when offroading?

Steve R
02-20-2003, 08:45 PM
Somebody claims that they remove the ABS fuse when they offroad...that way they temporarily disable the system.

Anyone got any thoughts on that????

Steve R
02-20-2003, 08:45 PM
Somebody claims that they remove the ABS fuse when they offroad...that way they temporarily disable the system.

Anyone got any thoughts on that????

Mike97ZJ
02-20-2003, 09:13 PM
That's a good question.

I've heard about that alot, about how people disco thier ABS for wheeling and how ABS is no good offroad, but I'm really not sure why.

I've never had a problem with ABS while offroad.

I guess if you are sliding down a steep hill, you might be better off without ABS, because if your wheels are locked up, they'll eventually hit a rock or something and stop. ABS will allow you to roll right over that rock and keep going.

Just a thought.

Big Z
02-20-2003, 09:49 PM
I kinda have to disagree. First, you will probibly get an abs warning light, and or other warnings the computer will spit out.
Second, most drivers don't understand or know how to use abs. Since it's a four channel abs system, and the computer monitors and can control each channel, (brake) at any given time--depending on conditions--it's probably better to leave the fuse in. It could even have an effect on your Dynamic rear proportioning.
Having said all that--as I was heading down a particular ice covered road not long ago, the system worked Very well!

Just a couple cents.

OLE YLLR
02-21-2003, 04:22 AM
http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gifI'VE HAD MY 2001 F150 AND MY H2 ON WASHBOARD GOING ABOUT 40 TO 50 MPH WHEN STEPPING ON BRAKES ABS DOES NOT WORK HAVEN'T HAD TIME TO LOOK AT DASH SINCE ROAD IS COMING UP TO QUICK BUT EXPERIENCE VERY MUSHY PEDAL ON BOTH VEHICLES AND NO THE BRAKES WERE'NT HOT SO AS TO CAUSE FAILURE. SURE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW SOLUTION. MAYBE I'LL FIND OUT WITH STEVE R THIS SATURDAY.

Steve R
02-21-2003, 04:44 AM
Musky contacted me offline....told me that you can just turn them off no problem. He says there's lots of good info on the discoweb about the very same issue.

Yeah Manny...let's play with it this weekend!

Big Z
02-21-2003, 05:27 AM
Just turn it off? right! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I havn't found that switch yet. Here is some more Info.

Adding to the overall sense of control is a highly developed Bosch four-channel antilock braking/traction control system (ABS/TCS). In addition to providing optimum control on slippery surfaces, the ABS can detect and adjust its braking capabilities to rough off-road surfaces like gravel and potholes. The TCS also provides the ability to gain traction through a single wheel, if necessary. A second mode of the TCS system, "TC2," used in conjunction with the transfer case's selections, provides three additionaloperating modes: "4 HI Locked + TC2," "4 LO Locked + TC2" and "4 LO Locked + Rear Diff Locked + TC2." This provides distinct advantages in different driving conditions, such as loose sand or gravel in the desert or mud or slippery conditions.

The H2's ABS is uniquely designed to detect rough-road surfaces and respond accordingly in addition to providing normal on-road control on slick surfaces. The ABS has separate control logic schemes to discern and react to deformable surfaces and provide the best solution for braking. As a result, the driver is frequently not aware that the ABS system is engaged, just feeling the sensation of a smooth responsive stop. In a very loose gravel surface, the driver may recognize added pedal travel during the stop, when the system has determined that more braking force is the correct solution. The result is an approximate 50 percent increase in deceleration on this surface condition.