PDA

View Full Version : found my Hummer... dual sun roofs and wood dash kit??

sheag
11-26-2002, 05:13 AM
I am getting ready in mere days to buy my Hummer. I found one I really like, no, am madly in love with, at a local dealership (actually they have several in this color and model..at least for now). In addition, I am thrilled with the sales guy who is selling to me at MSRP, so I'm pretty sure this is it. It's Sunset Orange and has the Lux and Adv pkgs (I didn't really want the lux pkg, but nearly all dealer inventory here seems to have it, so whatever, as long as it has the adventure too, I'm cool). It also has the sunroof. The dealer is installing a *second* sunroof just behind the first one for people who want it. Does anyone here have this? It seems like it would be great for me, I live in Hawai'i so actually will get a lot of use out of the sunroofs. But I hadn't heard it mentioned here.

Also I've seen online that you can purchase a wood dash trim kit. Anyone here have one? I really like the look of the wood dash trim in the H1s I've seen, but I've never seen it in an H2. Comments?

Lastly, one of the Hummers on the lot had a tire and rims upgrade. It made it look unbelieveable. My sales guy said they could switch them out, but it's an additional $3600. Yikes! I wonder if it's worth it?

Thanks to all who answered my post the other day on dealer experiences. I visited four area dealers over the wknd, got ignored at one (I'm a female driving a Saturn, so no big surprise), condescended to at another. But at this dealership where my H2 awaits, I was treated great. I was test driving in about 3 seconds, doing 360s in the Safeway parking lot, taking her out on the highway and enjoying the dropped jaws. The sales guy spent a lot of time with me, they have one of the 49 anniversary edition H1s on the lot and he got the key and showed it to me and told me about his two weeks at the plant in Indiana. I know he's a sales guy, but it was nice to at least have a pleasant dealer experience. When I bought my Dodge Ram quad cab the idiot sales guys kept trying to talk me into a minivan.

I will be using this truck for serious offroading to surf spots others can only dream about reaching in their Wranglers. I can't wait!

Shea

sheag
11-26-2002, 05:13 AM
I am getting ready in mere days to buy my Hummer. I found one I really like, no, am madly in love with, at a local dealership (actually they have several in this color and model..at least for now). In addition, I am thrilled with the sales guy who is selling to me at MSRP, so I'm pretty sure this is it. It's Sunset Orange and has the Lux and Adv pkgs (I didn't really want the lux pkg, but nearly all dealer inventory here seems to have it, so whatever, as long as it has the adventure too, I'm cool). It also has the sunroof. The dealer is installing a *second* sunroof just behind the first one for people who want it. Does anyone here have this? It seems like it would be great for me, I live in Hawai'i so actually will get a lot of use out of the sunroofs. But I hadn't heard it mentioned here.

Also I've seen online that you can purchase a wood dash trim kit. Anyone here have one? I really like the look of the wood dash trim in the H1s I've seen, but I've never seen it in an H2. Comments?

Lastly, one of the Hummers on the lot had a tire and rims upgrade. It made it look unbelieveable. My sales guy said they could switch them out, but it's an additional $3600. Yikes! I wonder if it's worth it?

Thanks to all who answered my post the other day on dealer experiences. I visited four area dealers over the wknd, got ignored at one (I'm a female driving a Saturn, so no big surprise), condescended to at another. But at this dealership where my H2 awaits, I was treated great. I was test driving in about 3 seconds, doing 360s in the Safeway parking lot, taking her out on the highway and enjoying the dropped jaws. The sales guy spent a lot of time with me, they have one of the 49 anniversary edition H1s on the lot and he got the key and showed it to me and told me about his two weeks at the plant in Indiana. I know he's a sales guy, but it was nice to at least have a pleasant dealer experience. When I bought my Dodge Ram quad cab the idiot sales guys kept trying to talk me into a minivan.

I will be using this truck for serious offroading to surf spots others can only dream about reaching in their Wranglers. I can't wait!

Shea

WES
11-26-2002, 06:02 AM
I like Hummer just the way Hummer makes it, period.

Sounds like you like to modify cars and trucks and have some experience at it, otherwise you would not be seriously considering to spend thousands on double Lux and Adv packages, $3600 tires and wheels, 2nd sunroof, fake wood dash, plus shipping to Hawaii, thats $10000 on top of whatever else you are buying in Hummer. Don't forget to add $10000 worth of GPS, 1000 watts stereo and 5 LCD screens. Doesn't sound like a helpless lady in the jungle of evil salesmen, clearly money is no object to you, you don't need any help from anyone else. Its your toy and your money, do what you want with them. Let me know which island you are shipping your Hummer to, so I will stay away from that island on my next Hawaii vacation.

Good luck and enjoy. Peace. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

sheag
11-26-2002, 06:28 AM
Yo Wes, dude, what's with the 'tude? For starters, I'm buying my H2 here in Washington and shipping it to Hawaii because I save approximately 10K in doing so. Most people who buy new cars in Hawai'i buy on the mainland and ship in order to save money. Cars at dealerships in Hawai'i are marked up beyond MSRP, the inventory is limited, and shipping from the West Coast is only $895.

I haven't ever customized a car beyond a nice stereo system. In fact, this will be only my second new car ever. I never said I was helpless, but I don't have a lot of experience buying cars. As I said in the post, I didn't really want the Lux pkg, but it's there, so what the hey. I have no intention of buying 5 LCD screens or GPS. I was just posting asking about some customizations I've seen that look interesting and wondered if others had them. Live and let live, man. And I live on the Big Island. Please feel free to stay away, mainland attitudes like yours are a drag.

Shea

HummerGirl
11-26-2002, 11:04 AM
Well this is the worst at-ta-tude yet on this forum I have seen yet, WES. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Wes you sound like a troll with that comment.

Sorry Sheag, but I get this also being a woman living in a "man's world".

I know the feeling about being in a Hardware store and having men come up and ask if I need "help" finding anything and automatically pointing me to the garden section or wallpaper aisle!

Funny...when I drove a forklift in college I never seemed to get any lip from the guys! Don't seem to get any now that I am in my H2.

They need to run that commercial again for H2 with the slogan..."Threaten men in a new way".

A mini-van...you've got to be kidding.

~amy
Reality is merely a crutch for those with a broken imagination.~anon.

http://www.CelestialBath.com

H2Girl
11-26-2002, 12:15 PM
Hey WES, What's up with the attitude? It's people like you that make others shy away from posting. If you have a comment to make, be respectful. We all want in some way to make our H2's unique and for someone who has the $ to splurge, Why not!
Sheag, the H2 would look great with the options you mentioned! The wheels are very expensive and you might want to check Ebay. There is a guy by the name of PTKing who sells the factory chrome Rims (from Hummer not stock ones plated by an outside company)for about$1500? Great guy to deal with and he's located in Washington. Good luck with the H2!!!

Texas Red
11-26-2002, 12:38 PM
There is nothing like the fury of a woman. Especially an H2 woman. Especially and H2 woman on this Forum.

You gotta love 'em.

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

HummerGirl
11-26-2002, 01:05 PM
Right back at'cha,

Thanks Texas Red!

We love our H2 guys too! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~amy

MAC
11-26-2002, 03:06 PM
Shea, Go easy on extra stuffs, especially if this is only your second vehicle. It is unusual for anyone to buy double luxury and adventure packages ($4500), plus special tires and rims($3600), plus 2nd sunroof($1000?), wood trim($400?). Low rider 22" rims and tires?

This WES guy is a bit rude, but I am stunned by the $10,000 extra you are buying, I would think most of us would be shocked but obviously no one said anything. I guess you know what you are doing. If you are a man, I normally would discuss what type of tire and rims and wood trim, are they worth the $10,000, etc... but I have to be extra careful since you are a woman, I can say things totally in normal manner, but women here jump up and down like they are fighting the sex revolution, most times frankly I reread the post and could not figure out why they got so upset, so many little things turned into battle of the sexes. I am not a woman so I don't understand why they are so sensitive about it. Love it when there is a mix or male and female points of view, but am getting tip-toe. Surprised all the women here are urging you on to spend $10,000 on these stuffs, no one worry that you are going overboard?

OLE YLLR
11-26-2002, 03:39 PM
HEY SHEA BE CAREFUL WITH THE WOOD DASH KIT. I'VE DRIVEN THE H2 AT THE DEALER SEVERAL TIMES AND EACH TIME THEY'VE ADDED NEW EXTRAS. ONE WAS THE WOOD DASH KIT, IT LOOK GOOD BUT NOT PROPERLY INSTALLED BECAUSE IT MADE THE SIDE DOOR PANELS SQUEAK. GOOD LUCK OLE YLLR!

Beck
11-26-2002, 03:47 PM
As a lawyer, I look for evidence in documents, I don't see anything in WES's reply that is directed against women, it was an equal-rights post. His last sentence about which island is rude, otherwise I have the same feeling from reading Shea's post, I would not have said it as directly as WES.

If you are a man, Shea, I will ask you what are these expensive tires and wheels and if you plan to go off-roads as you said, will these tires be good for off-roads? I may say that the wood trim looks bad. I may suggest you to go for the adventure package only and save $2,000 plus.

As a lawyer, I will advise my client to say nothing, it is not his problem. As a man, I already said too much.

We have the battles of sexism, oil, envirmentalist, religion, what else? bring them on.

Alex
11-26-2002, 03:52 PM
Sheag,

If you are spending that amount of money get whatever you feel will make you happy! I like the dual sunroofs. I wish I had that option on mine. As for the wheels and tires, you said you would be doing some off roading, so it seems like the stock wheels and tires would do best. I would hate to damage an expensive set of wheels. Anyway, good luck on your purchase and invite me when you do the off-roading in Hawaii : ) !!

I'm not sure what was going through WES's mind during the reply, but it did seem a bit out of place. Unfortunatly, the anonymity of the internet allows people to say things that they normally wouldn't.

sheag
11-26-2002, 03:57 PM
Thanks guys. I didn't think Wes' post was sexist, just rude. I don't mind anyone offering their opinions, including telling me I shouldn't waste my money. That's why I asked.

So the wood dash kit doesn't look good and can cause problems, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. No one mentioned the dual sun roofs except to say it's too much money. Again, I live in a hot, sunny climate. I will be travelling a lot with my niece and nephew and that second sun roof back there will get used daily. The extra $1500 or so is worth it to me. I was just concerned about other peoples' dealer experiences with an installed sunroof back there.

With regard to the tires, I need to get some more information and if anyone here has any, feel free to share. I'm doing some research online now and will talk to the dealer, my goal is not only to improve my offroad experience, but also improve the custom look of the vehicle, I like to be unique.

And again, I don't *want* the luxury pkg, it just is there, and if I order a custom, I'll have to wait two months, fly back over or arrange for someone else to take delivery and ship it and so on. For me, it's worth the extra money to go ahead and take one on the lot since it's perfect and has everything else I want, including color.

Thanks again, I appreciates everyone's responses (except Wes', but it was cool to have all the Hummer chicks on the forum jump right in. :-)

Shea

Texas Red
11-26-2002, 04:32 PM
I got the Lux package with all the key options that make up the Adventure Package, so essentially the Lux + Adv. I'm glad I did. I love it. So go get'em Shea. Only you know what you can or should afford.

I do have one question. . .and that's the second "giant" sunroof. The body of the H2 is a welded shell that has certain structural capability. IMHO, you can't cut big holes in structure without reducing strength and stiffness, especially two big holes. I'm no expert, but, I've seen a Camero with big sunroof have his front windshield pop out due to body twisting as he bounced over a curb . The extra body twist was due to the hole in the roof.

There have also been some complaints of leaking around the sunroof, but I think those can get fixed at the dealer. The sunroof appears to be a GM afterthought, not an original design feature.

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

Steve R
11-26-2002, 05:00 PM
Wow...a few flames a-flyin'...not pretty. As a matter of clarification, the ladies were not criticizing Wes for comments directed at women...they were merely pointing out the overly harsh 'tude that Wes was working. His comments about Sheag not caring about money, and particularly his not visiting a particular island...that's just plain mean, evil..and dare I say republican! (joke).

It's probably no big deal...more often then not humor can be misinterpreted...which is what I suspect the case likely here is. As a general rule, treat others as you'd like to be treated.

As for the H2, sounds great! The Land Rover has two sunroofs and it's quite safari-like. I've noticed MANY dealers loading stuff onto their H2's...it sorta forces buyers to pay for these upgrades. There's been lots of complaints about how dealers outfit the heck out of the H2's and then buyers come in and have no choice but to swallow the package whole. These same dealers automatically outfit their H2 immediately with lots of costly goodies. Yeah, they're "working it". Sounds like Sheag has a plan...driving an H2 in paradise! Love it! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Steve R
11-26-2002, 05:04 PM
oh yeah...the wood dash. When done conservatively is does look very nice....but I've seen H2's that are covered in that wood-veneer ALL over the place: just too over-done! It's almost like the more the install...the more money they make??

TS
11-26-2002, 05:31 PM
Dual Sunroof.. interesting, but a hot and humid environment like Hawaii may cause problems with the seals, warranty work may be difficult to obtain.
Upgrade wheels: I've seen a couple around town with huge big mud tires, looks great and probably very appropriate off-road. Dont do lowprofiles if you plan on doing any offroad trips.
Wood dash: I personally dont like them, but to each their own.
Post pics if you decide to go this way, and I think most of us on this forum wouldn't think twice about hanging out with an uber-cool surfer chick with an H2 in Hawaii.

Beck
11-26-2002, 05:41 PM
Great, we are taking the site to a new level, demonlize the Republicans. What about guns, somebody gotta to hate guns too. What about animal rights groups, leather is bad and evil. You see what's happening here? I thought Steve was a neat guy, but I can't feel that way any more, he hates Republicans and think they are evil.

TS
11-26-2002, 06:28 PM
Beck, buddy.. stay off the meth, makes you really paranoid. I didnt see anything in Steve's response about Republicans.. did I miss something?

ratesguy
11-26-2002, 08:04 PM
Whoa Wes, lose the attitude. Some list administrators will unsubscribe you for so blatantly rude comments. And politics has no place on a forum such as this. If you cant be positive dont post. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Steve R
11-26-2002, 09:06 PM
Beck....I am all about peace, love and H2's. I'm going to figure you were just joking back with me about the republican thing (I happen to be one).

Please tell me you were just joking. Oh yeah...TS, thanks for the life-saver! (stay off the meth....FUNNY!)

Steve R
11-26-2002, 09:12 PM
....oh yeah....when someone types something and it's followed up with (joke)...that usually means it was a joke, and if it has this symbol: /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif it definitely means it's a joke.

HummerGirl
11-26-2002, 11:41 PM
If she can afford the goodies, why not?

Go for it girl and get what you want! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~amy

MAC
11-27-2002, 01:00 AM
Wow, what a party everyone had here, the house is a mess.

You know what? I read all the post on this subject again, real fast. I now don't even think that WES was even rude, I thought he was this AM when I first read it. It ended with Good luck, peace and a smiling face or something like that, didn't everyone see that? Maybe he was trying to be funny, just like what Steve said about evil Republicans, which I did not think was funny and didn't look like a joke to me(I am not upset about it.) I even mentioned to my wife as an example how strangely mixed are the people on the internet, "Honey, that Hummer guy you heard on the radio yesterday is a Liberal Democrat!, he said Republicans are evil."

It you read it carefully he was talking about the add-ons are very expensive, Shea better know how to spend that $10000. I don't think it was gender-specific, but not surprised some women jumped at it as a battle of the sexes. If I recalled Sheaq posted before sounded like she was asking for help, everyone lined up to help her, the next thing you know she is buying decked out top-line Hummer. My feeling is that Sheaq didn't need any help afterall, she is very confident. She knows what she want all along.

Maybe it is just me and after a day in a broadroom full of men-eating lawyers, or daily dealing with tough counterparts worldwide, I really don't think there was anything rude, at most a bad joke. The angry replies sounded a little scary to me, nice people turned posse with a rope to hang someone.

What's everyone been taking laterly? go easy on the coffee.

Zing
11-27-2002, 01:04 AM
My overall advice is to get the things you feel in your gut, like the adventure package, but those that are questionable, like maybe the wood dashboard or wheels, hold off. That stuff you can do later as you get to know the vehicle and the options. Plus you'll get better pricing by doing it outside the dealership. Except maybe the 2nd sun roof. This is the first time I've heard of that.

I have to say I love the guy/girl stuff and find it intriguing. I also think it's awesome that there many female Hummer owners. Although I don't get that Wes guy.

MAC
11-27-2002, 01:22 AM
I heard on the news a few weeks back that 30% of the Hummer buyers are women, and most of the 70% men bought because their wivies "approved" the purchase. Most drivers of the biggest SUVs I see around here are women, maybe 70%? its a non-issue to me.

Whats up with your Hummer purchase? Zazing of New York.

HummerGirl
11-27-2002, 01:26 AM
I think everyone was a little shocked at Wes' last comment about the whole island thing. That's all.

Don't panic Mac...we're not out to bash men here on this board! I agree with you often here on this board!!! And you are right about the women giving "approval" on the purchase of their hubbies H2...it's such a MANLY vehicle...MEOWWWWW!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

~amy

Zing
11-27-2002, 01:45 AM
Mac, I have decided to be the first to order the 2004. I went to the dealer a week ago and he tells me there is now a 3+ month wait on the sunroofs. I was on the fence before and that pushed me over to try and wait it out as much as I can hardly stand it for the 2004. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

So Mac are you one of the 70% who had to get clearance from your wife before you got the H2?

HeeHaw
11-27-2002, 02:03 AM
Sheag, can you get a picture of the Hummer with the second sun roof? Not really interested in getting one on mine, but I would like to see it before I completely rule it out.

HeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

11-27-2002, 02:41 AM
2nd Sun Roof probably voids some GM warranty, is highly likely to break, leak, and/or compromise the vehicle's structure. It could even be an attempt to sell you a damaged H2 -- "Gee, we damaged the roof. Let's cut a hole and make a 2nd sunroof." My advice: factory sun roof or none.

Steve R
11-27-2002, 03:08 AM
I think the idea of a second sun-roof is kinda cool. The Land Rover's have them and it brings a neat 'safari' look/feel the the vehicle.

I would imagine the incision and opening is made such that it avoids the structural components of the roof support system...so it should still be quite safe.

As for warranty, many sunroofs are installed by factory aurthorized places, and those place almost certainly warrant their work. If they made bad stuff and didn't stand behind it, the dealership would cease using them. When we went to buy my wife her Yukon XL, the salesman insisted that the after-market sunroof was far superior to the factory unit. Let's NOT discuss that issue, just suffice it to say after-market can be done quite professionally and within parameters of the warranty.

MAC
11-27-2002, 03:16 AM
I wouldn't think of buying a bicycle without my wife's concurrence. She loves the Hummer as much as I did at the first moment we saw it on the lot, in fact she saw it first while I was still climbing the Cadillac Escalade. “Babe, forget that, see this Hummer!“ she was the one urged me onto the prompt purchase decision. On the other hand, if she doesn’t like whatever new toy I have my eyes on, she is always totally cool about me buying it. My wife is quite used to siblings buying new toys in her family.

Steve R
11-27-2002, 03:29 AM
I'd like to briefly touch on two things MAC and Hummergirl made reference to. Both of you make great points!

Wes did sour the note with that island comment...it just seemed overly harsh. Yet, at the same time, he signitures off with happy-thoughts and a smiley-face. Which is exactly why I tried to point out that humor is often misinterpreted and he was likely misunderstood.

As for me, I seemed to have 'missed' with the Republican comment. I actually have no particular political orientation...but (as a matter of fact) I am curretnly registered as a republican. The root of the comment draws from my living in a heavily republican area...where we are regularly teased. To delve further into this would be wordy....PLEASE suffice it to say that I absolutely did NOT mean to probe into the world of politics nor draw a negative contrast to Republicans. I was honestly trying to put an absurd humoristic twist on something just to lighten the mood and make ya'll laugh....and just for good measure I labeled the comment as a joke.

I'd like to apply for reinstatment as a 'neat' guy and a non-liberal radio voice

sheag
11-27-2002, 03:44 AM
I will defintely post a pic of the second sun roof. It does NOT void any factory warranties as long as it is done by an "authorized" dealer, I've checked and double-checked on this point.

I don't care how many smiley faces you put on the end of a post, a rude post is a rude post, period, and Wes' definitely was rude, from start to finish.

On the confidence issue, I'm a confident person in general as are most women who buy H2s, I imagine. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate and seek out advice and experience from those that have gone before me. And yea, I can afford a few luxuries, but so what? I've planned for this purchase, have researched it carefully, am paying cash, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I just fail to see the problem in spending money (if you have it) to get what you want. At any rate, I'm glad that I've found this forum, I've learned a lot, and I look forward to sharing my *customized* H2 with all of you.

Shea

MAC
11-27-2002, 03:45 AM
Steve, I made jokes, I would checked and doublechecked to make sure the joke is clean, and sure enough that Hummergirl Amy will puff fire and smoke came charging my way, I ran for my life, she is more scary than Hilary Clinton. Just joking, Amy. Peace. What island do you live on?

That Beck is a lawyer. Legally speaking, if someone says something you do not agree, you must challenge it, otherwise you are accepting it as fact. Good lawyers are trained to attack, attack and counter-attack, the only good defense is a strong offense. I just wish my lawyers are as nasty as him. Just joking.

I have no problem with your joke. I only glanced at the posts real fast today at office, saw the happy face but didn't buy it. But you are neat, even though you are a pinko Liberal commie pretend to be a republican, with a small "r".

I think I said enough to get me into troubles too.

MAC
11-27-2002, 03:57 AM
I thought people from Hawaii are pretty easy going and peaceful type, especially from the big island of Hawaii. Love that island, but the 2 hours chartered flight around the island was way too long, and there was no lava at the vocano, tour guide lied to us. Your replies could be considered quite rude and mean spirited, if one wants to look at them that way. BTW, Sheag, are you a lawyer too? Time to play nice. Nobody win with anger, you need to leave the mainland, nobody gets angry in Hawaii. 3 deep breath, Sheag.

Let's all join hands and dance on the beach and sing cumbaya. Let's get that bicylist environmentalist(long word) to join us too. Love in. Too bad it is not the swinging '60-'70s anymore.

Steve R
11-27-2002, 03:58 AM
I'm actually more concerned about Beck...seems to have taken what I said entirely the wrong way...which troubles me.

Mac-meister...you and I are on the same level. You could have just taken a bullet for me...but instead you jumped on the grenade. Buds like you are few and far between. Thanks!

Shea, your right. I'd have been offended too by Wes's comments. I suppose I was just trying to somehow see something positive of it. Like others, I just want to see everyone having fun and enjoying this forum.

What was this thread all about again?

MAC
11-27-2002, 04:02 AM
Bullet and grenade? Man, you got the wrong guy, no way. I am out of here.
Tell you what, I was going to put a smiling face here, but that may not be a good idea. No use in Hawaii. I better leave the party when I am still alive.

"You could have just taken a bullet for me...but instead you jumped on the grenade. Buds like you are few and far between."

CJ
11-27-2002, 04:03 AM
Take the extra $$ buy a lifted jetski trailer and drag your new skis to that secluded perfect beach. Grab your boards fire up the skis and hit the outer reef. Live it up.

Steve R
11-27-2002, 04:06 AM
I agree that it's time to sing and all be nice...but Shea has been that all along.

Let's just let it go and move on.

Btw, I LOVE the fact that women are into the H2! When I play racquetball at the courts...it's an extra thrill to get beaten by a women. I think people are just way too into classifying people...we're all just individuals.

sheag
11-27-2002, 09:00 AM
Mac, huh? My posts were rude and mean-spirited?? Maybe somebody else can enlighten me but I thought in general I'd been playing real nice.(thanks Steve, for pointing this out to Mac as well :-) I'm not angry at all, in fact as I think I've said six times now, I really appreciate (nearly) everyone's helpfulness.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

At any rate, I live on the west side of the island, we don't get a lot of rain, especially down in town, and definitely not nearly as much as they do on the Hilo-side. But I do have quality concerns about a dealer-installed sunroof. If the Hummer I get doesn't come with the factory-installed sunroof, my sales guy told me they can install one but it's 2 inches smaller on each side than the one the factory installs, so I definitely want the factory original upfront. The second one the dealer installs is smaller as well and my guess is it's going to have more problems than the factory work, but who knows. I don't have a dealer on my island nor an authorized service place, so if something goes wrong, it's going to be a pain in the ass to get it taken care of. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Shea

JCJ
11-27-2002, 10:17 AM
And now something completely diferent:

A convertible H2! There is enough space for the folded roof back there.
No roof to support.
But this might interfere with the vehicle's "structure" though. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
We all have seen the limo H2. So why not? Definitely cooler than those low riders, high riders, chrome riders, boom box riders, knight riders etc. etc.
Any one inspired at the PhotoShop?

JCJ
11-27-2002, 10:22 AM
Problems with convertibles (and sunroofs for that matter) here in Aruba and maybe in Hawaii as well (you tell me Shea) is:
It's only nice to drive with open top or roof early morning, late afternoon or at night. During the day you get cooked here and forget abouit that tan, think 2nd degree burns. And when it starts to rain, the card's flooded before you reach the buttons to close the roof(s).
All right, okay, so there remains a few hours per day/night to drive around with open roof here. But still I prefer the AC, recirculating or not.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

sheag
11-27-2002, 03:25 PM
I'm not worried about getting cooked, I'm a Hawai'i girl, we lie on the beach all day every chance we get, mo' better to sit in the Hummer. :-)The front sunroof has a sun guard of sorts that protects the driver and passenger from the direct rays even when open, plus it has an airflow option where the back of it just lifts up some to generate air flow. I'm not big on air conditioning myself. I just spent 3 months in Central America, much of the time without ice, let alone air conditioning. Hawai'i seems mild in comparison. :-) Man, I would have liked to have had my Hummer down there....

Can't jetski or waterski in Hawai'i, at least not in general. Aside from a variety of county and state regulations against it (which most of us locals are imminently grateful for), there's the fact that most days we have a wicked swell that would render the point moot. They have a little jetski "ring" in the Bay in Kailua-Kona where tourists can pay $75 a pop to get their arses kicked in the Hawai'i chop. I think I'll pass. Any day that's flat enough to jetski I'd rather be diving anyway. But rest assured any accessory I buy for my Hummer will not interfere with my water activities or purchases. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Shea

bklynh2srock
12-03-2002, 10:19 PM
Oh my. I go away for a week and look what I miss! I'm never, ever going away again. BTW, picked ours up Monday and we are in hog heaven.

HummerGirl
12-03-2002, 11:21 PM
Yeah!!! Don't you want to sleep in it????

~amy
Move it or Lose it...
http://home.earthlink.net/~thecelestialbath/emotihummer.gif

bklynh2srock
12-04-2002, 12:21 AM
Yeah, Amy, I keep going outside to look at it and admire it in all its awesome glory. We drove it home from the dealer in Detroit, in constant snow, and I was cheerfully clipping along singing "Let it Snow" the whole way. Puts our Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ Quadra Drive to absolute shame. I actually looked at my husband and said, "We will never be able to own another make of car again."

I'm soooo looking forward to the true commencement of ski season!

kelleymac2000
12-04-2002, 02:22 AM
Shea:

I wouldn't spend $3600 before pricing to see if you can get tires and rims cheaper. I checked out the MTs, and I can get them online for around $220 apiece that's about $900 in tires. I haven't priced rims, but bet you can get away for a lot less than $2700.

Check out America's tire. They seem to have good deals, and a lot of inventory/stores around.

Good luck!
Kelley

BTW, I don't comment on the sunroof, 'cause I specifically ordered mine without. I'm just not fond of them, but can see the draw for you in Hawaii. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

HummerGirl
12-04-2002, 10:15 AM
Yep this poor rig won't see snow until we go home for xmas...but where we live we get some nice rain showers in the spring and summer months. Our terrain is extremely flat and the roads flood so quickly as they cannot drain. So hydroplaning is common, but I have found this hummer does not move an inch in the rain. I have done some nice 360s in my beamers going a modest 45mph with the slick roads from oil and water residue from such large trucks and tractors from the farmers. Thank goodness no one was on the road at the time.

I do feel safe in this rig and I too could never own anything less.

~amy
Move it or Lose it...
http://home.earthlink.net/~thecelestialbath/emotihummer.gif

SONA
12-04-2002, 11:39 PM
Don't touch my GUNS.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif