PDA

View Full Version : My personal H3 review and experience

MajorGeek
05-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Seeing so many reviews on the net, and having asked so many questions myself before buying, I thought I would write down my thoughts after owning an H3 for a couple of weeks now. Hopefully this review will help others
who might be on the fence about purchasing an H3. I also hope to clarify some of the disinformation I had ready prior to finding these forums and making my purchase. This vehicle is a 2006 H3 with both the Adventure and Luxury packages. It is almost fully loaded, as far as I know it is missing only the factory trailer hitch and navigation.

My first experience, besides looking at it in dealer parking lots, was at a local auto show. Here is where the trouble began. As soon as I climbed in, I was hooked. I came back and sat in it again. This H3 had leather and was as comfortable and attractive as any SUV I have sat in. More importantly, you knew you
were in a Hummer. Having been in friends H1's many times (and listening to him diss any Hummer that isn't an H1) as well as having driven an H2 for a couple of weeks, there is no mistaking your sitting in a Hummer. I came
back and sat in it again for roughly 10 minutes and knew I had to drive one.

Off to the local dealership, with the primary concern, having briefly owned a Colorado and read many H3 reviews, was if the I5 engine could pull the Hummer around. My first move was to take off from a stop in the H3 as I would
in any other vehicle. I immediately looked at the salesman and wondered aloud what the reviewers were talking about. I then went to a highway on ramp that went uphill to climb into traffic as many reviews said this required extra
planning. The H3 obliged and I was easily doing 70 MPH when I merged in. On the highway, I had read you need to prepare in advance for passing and once again, I do not have to drive the H3 any differently then any other vehicle.
I have had no problems switching lanes and passing at 65-70 MPH on the highway. At around 400 miles I switched to 89 octane fuel and added a K&N filter. The H3 seems more responsive then ever at this point. As a simple test, I did the old "1 mississippi, 2 mississippi" thing to time it and figured at a normal dead stop at a traffic light with a typical takeoff pushing the pedal halfway or better, your looking at roughly 4 seconds to 30 mph and 9 seconds to 45 mph. Try doing that on a normal takeoff in your vehicle, and I think you will find that those are reasonable take off times. Obviously, no one will argue that the H3 could use more horsepower and torque. I think the main reasons would be for pulling someone out of a ditch, or towing. I feel another 50-75 horsepower would be perfect, but this does not change the fact that the I5 engine is capable of pulling the H3 around. It would seem the transmission deserves some credit in this area. It is very quick to respond and makes a big difference. The H3 has another surprise in store. Incredibly short turning radius. I have not had an SUV that can do a circle in as short a space as the H3. The first time you make a u-turn, be prepared for a surprise. It is fun to watch the look on a passengers face when you do a u-turn. In a few spots, the visibility can be a bit limited. If you are first to a traffic light, for example, you can't get too close or you will need the sunroof to see the light because of the H3 signature windshield that seems to go
straight up defying all aerodynamics principles of most vehicles. This also means bugs dont come off the windshield on a typical touchless car wash. With the adventure package and 33" tires you can expect a bit of tire noise at higher speeds. Occasionally the H3 feels a little top heavy, or floaty as some people might call it, but with the high suspension and large tires, I expected it and rarely notice it at all. It is most noticeable if you yank the wheel back and forth or hit some large bumps or potholes at 30 mph or more. I have gone through some turns fairly quickly and the H3 feels competent. The ride, even with the stiffer suspension is comfortable. Coming from a guy with a bad back, the comfortable seats help a lot and the ride is comfortable. One problem you might find is the irresistible urge to yank the wheel and go off road. You know your in a Hummer and you always want to get off the street and rip through some mud. Gas mileage took the most time finishing writing this. As mentioned, I have opted to use 89 octane fuel,
a K&N air filter and I switched to synthetic oil at 527 miles. Take all of this into account, as well as the fact that I drive my vehicles hard and it has the large tires, so it is safe to assume you would be hard pressed to get worse gas mileage then me. The first MPG reflects only the second tank of gas with 473 miles on the truck, K&N filter and stock oil, so I expected it to be low. The first check was 13.8 mpg. This reflects mainly city and suburban driving. Next check was a tank after I changed to synthetic oil. Mileage was 1200 and for this half tank of fuel, I decided to
drive the truck a bit more conservatively. While I still drove hard in spots, I mainly tried to not accelerate too hard in most situation. No calculator was needed as I fueled up at 161.8 miles and required 11.2 gallons meaning I was just under 16 MPG. I would expect this to be a reasonable average for most drivers in city\suburban conditions. As
always, the EPA's outdated standards make the estimated MPG a bit high. I saw people claiming 13 mpg and I can't get the H3 to go that low.

The interior is more then you might expect, but has flaws. In my case, I have both the adventure and luxury package. It includes leather, OnStar (I missed that), Monsoon sound with sub (great sound up to 3\4 volume), Homelink, XM Radio, and more. Because it has the adventure package, it also has a stiffer suspension and larger (33") tires). It has a large power sunroof that is probably the largest piece of glass in the H3. The window controls were poorly placed. Unless your 6' 2" or so and have the seat all the way back, you have to twist, or reach back and look for the window controls. Reaching for seat controls, or heated seats, risks getting your hand stuck. There is not enough room to fit your hand between the seat and the door to reach these controls. Speaking of which, the whole
center console could use a redesign. There is not enough room to store CD's and the usual stuff I take with me. What is there works, it just could have been better. I can see there is limited space here, so this will not be easy to
accomplish. For example, you could kill two birds with one stone by making the center storage a bit deeper, taller and longer, with a angle at the end. This could house all the window controls as well as a change pocket. Drive any Lincoln, BMW, etc. to see this.
Backing up is always fun. Because of the H3 signature windows, view can be obstructed. A little preplanning is required in this area. I usually park a bit outside of everyone else anyway or look for a spot that I can drive
through and be facing out when I return. The rear seats will seat 3 and the one seat on the passenger side can fold down to store long items (lumber) while still carrying four people. There are a few other features like a
pop up cup holder. The rear storage area was what I was looking for. It is all plastic and looks like you could throw dirt in there and wash it down. There are storage pockets as well. The rear tailgate swings open easily with
a strut and requires a tad more effort to close. The big spare tire makes the tailgate heavier, but no one I have had try closing it really seemed to notice. The rear window wiper only covers part of the window making it appear to be not working correctly. From the rear view, it basically clears between 3 and 11 o'clock, when it should be between 3 and 9 o'clock. With visibility being poor to begin with, this can be a nuisance. There is a grab handle on the passenger side, but not the driver side. The passenger side handle, or as I call them "Oh ****" handles, are placed towards the rear of the window. I am used to seeing them forward more. I mentioned this to other people and men don't seem to mind, women seem to like them forward more, easier to see and reach.

Bottom line: I love my vehicles. So take it from a guy who has owned a Lincoln Aviator, Chevy Colorado, Chevy Trailblazer, Dodge Daytona RAM, Dodge Viper and a 300 ZX Twin turbo in the past 2 years alone, this ain’t your
standard SUV. If you just want to take the kids to soccer games and get groceries, this is not the vehicle for you. But, if your a fan of the Hummer 1 or 2 and don't like the size and gas mileage, this warrants a look. There is no
mistaking your driving a Hummer and that IS what it is all about. Toyota, Ford, Chevy and everyone else make a much friendlier, street driving, daily use SUV. The H3 is a Hummer. Period. GM had a job to do in creating this vehicle. Staying true to the Hummer name. To create a more friendly street use vehicle would have compromised the Hummer line and I
feel GM totally captured the Hummer feel and experience, especially considering it is a first year vehicle, something many have come to expect shortcomings from. I look for excuses to drive the H3 somewhere. My wife has been trying to take it to work to show her co-workers who want to see it, and I obliged the other today. I think she is making excuses to drive it as well http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif When she brought a co-worker out to see it, 6 more followed. Other friends and neighbors ask my opinions and\or want to drive it or be taken for a ride. People obviously love the truck and it does draw some attention. I have had people walk up and look inside at gas stations, for example. One thing you must experience is the track available at many Hummer delaerships. It includes climbing a 10 inch wall, driving over rollers, climbing up a 60 degree hill, then coming back down from that hill letting the H3 controlling the speed by itself and finally, the sideways drive. Of course, returning it on a pile of rocks is fun as well. Once you have done this, and understand what the H3 can do, you want to go off-road, immediately. One funny thing about my
experience was the damage to the 10 inch wall climb where someone tried to climb their Jeep Wrangler over it. Oops http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Anyhow, I have a one word response to anyone that asks me how I like the H3, so I end this with that word; FUN!

The Green Lantern
05-01-2006, 10:40 PM
Wow!, how long it took you to write that? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

MajorGeek
05-01-2006, 11:18 PM
I have been writing it on and off, writing down experiences as I found them, for about 3 weeks.

NEOCON1
05-01-2006, 11:49 PM
great read thanks for sharing , I have been trying to tell people this for 8 months now http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif LOL

RubHer Yellow Ducky
05-01-2006, 11:54 PM
Very good post!

Grammer and sentence composition cou;d be improved but you did an excellent job of expressing all the great things about the H-3.

I give you an A and the Hummer H-3 an A+...

RYD

MajorGeek
05-02-2006, 12:05 AM
Sad thing is I have been in the web publishing business for about 9 or 10 years now, currently running MajorGeeks.com and my grammar and composition still stink! Go figure. Stay in school kids!

marin8703
05-02-2006, 12:41 AM
hey, i know this is probly the wrong place to ask this question but since majorgeek and maybe so of you other guys might know, is there any posibility to damage the engine, exhaust or any other components on teh vehicle by using a higher octane than the recomended, like 89 or 93? keep in mind that i am not triyng to improve milage or anything like that, i just want to keep the engine runing as smooth as possible and lasting a long long time. would a higher octane even help with extending the life of the engine and keep it working good?

i was told by someone that it might damage the catalytic converter because it is hotter burning or something like that. Is that true?

and also i dont really care about gas milage but i would like to keep the engine running nice and as smooth as possible for as long as possible. Would synthetic oil be better or should i stick with the standard one they use when you do an oil change at a hummer dealer?

Thanks alot for your help!

RubHer Yellow Ducky
05-02-2006, 12:42 AM
CHIT !!! I gave U an A

what else do U want...?

RYD

RubHer Yellow Ducky
05-02-2006, 12:47 AM
Hummer Novice
Posted 05-01-06 07:41 PM
hey, i know this is probly the wrong place to ask this question but since majorgeek and maybe so of you other guys might know, is there any posibility to damage the engine, exhaust or any other components on teh vehicle by using a higher octane than the recomended, like 89 or 93? keep in mind that i am not triyng to improve milage or anything like that, i just want to keep the engine runing as smooth as possible and lasting a long long time.

i was told by someone that it might damage the catalytic converter because it is hotter burning or something like that. Is that true?

and also i dont really care about gas milage but i would like to keep the engine running nice and as smooth as possible for as long as possible. Would synthetic oil be better or should i stick with the standard one they use when you do an oil change at a hummer dealer?

Thanks alot for your help!

It seems a lot of folks are changing to SYNTHETIC. That question is worth 100 answers, hope you are ready...

In regards to higher octane my experience is that you will gain nothing by doing so.

All the really good answers will come from the TECHNO PEOPLE, or (wanna Bees)

RYD

DDWH
05-02-2006, 01:02 AM
Great read!

MajorGeek
05-02-2006, 01:05 AM
IMHO, Synthetic is simply expensive, I like using a semi-synthetic in my vehicles, it improves gas mileage, returning your money and then some. As for longevity, I need to own a car long enough to find out http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Some research, as mentioned, will turn up many confusing answers, so I always thought a semi-synthetic was a safe bet. The 89 octane and K&N really improved my low end response, not sure if it was one or both. Also, as mentioned, because of computers, there is probably nothing to be gained by running a higher octane then the manufacturer suggests, the computer is unaware, or so the story was told to me.

Steve - SanJose
05-02-2006, 02:50 AM
Nice review. You must type even faster than I do. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Enjoy the new H3.

S.

Dave LV
05-02-2006, 04:02 AM
Way back when in the 1970's when unleaded gas was introduced, so was the 89 octane. This is because unleaded gas builds deposits on the cylinder resulting in preignition occurring after around 20,000 miles. With 87, the engine used to ping from these hot deposits and so 89 was provided to stop it. Today's modern engines have an antiknock sensor that retards the timing so you don't notice it, but if you want to retain the original performance, you must either add stuff like Techroline every few 1000 miles or use 89 gas. Additionally, some cars will advance the timing if higher octane gas is used thereby providing a few more horsepower. My experience is that premium adds about 7% to the gas mileage and so if the price difference is less than or equal to this, go for it. Unfortunately, the local Costco does not stock 89 so I must alternate between 87 and 91 to get the blend in the tank. Kinda awkward but it works.
As to hurting the engine, no, higher octane does not.
Hope this discussion helps.

f5fstop
05-02-2006, 07:56 AM
Nice write-up.
Now, going up in octane should show no results. Cars requiring high octane and dropping down to a lower octane will lose power. The knock sensor will signal the computer there is knock and the computer will change timing, reducing power, but removing the knock.
Cars requiring regular have no sensors to help the computer advance the timing. You may get a little, since the computer will always advance the max, then back down. Questionable, with pure gasoline. Some reports I have recently read by MPG, state in areas using ethanol, there might be a slight increase by going up a bit. Not sure if it is worth the dime difference though.
Synthetic oil is not really required. I use it only because I have about five gallons stored from my Vettes, and I got a hell of a sale (1/2 price on Mobile 1).
The syn/dyno mix is totally worthless since the dyno oil nixes any good the syn oil offers. That is a fact based on a lot of testing, and can be found on the internet, as well as test results from Ford, GM and the rest of the manufacturers.
One other thing with syn. Many tests show it is best to stay with regular oil for around 2K, then switch. The engine breaks in better with dyno then with syn. Nothing positive with this theory, but it is being looked at closely by some engine manufacturers at this time.

As for Techron, it is the best additive made, and comes in all Chevron fuel, so if you have a Chevron station, good idea to use this fuel at least once in a while. However, with the modern engine I would not worry about fuel/carbon deposits on the head.

I just finished overseeing the teardown and rebuild of five I-5 engine cylinder heads having between 5K and 35K, all burned regular fuel, and not one had any deposits on the pistons. Not sure what fuel used, since the requirements were to use only regular; however, most were run in this area and there are no Chevron stations that I have ever seen.
So, most likely it was BP, Marathon, Speedway (same as Marathon), Shell or Mobil. No additives were allowed, other than what the fuel company normally put in the engine.
Next time we pop a head on an I-5, I'll get a photo, but for right now, this project is over.

Agriv8r
05-02-2006, 11:04 AM
a
was the tear down just for inspection? IF so other than the lack of carbon deposits, anything else note worthy??

Agriv8r
05-02-2006, 11:05 AM
dont know where the quote thing came from http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

HummerNewbie
05-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Nice review, thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by MajorGeek:
I saw people claiming 13 mpg and I can't get the H3 to go that low.

Unfortunately I can http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Dave LV
05-02-2006, 05:18 PM
I believe all modern cars have an antiknock sensor in the engine for emissions management.

If so, the engine can advance the timing to get more power and higher gas mileage within whatever parameters the manufacturer allows.

Ethanol raises octane but has 1/3 less energy per gallon. Detroit will have to make gas tanks 30 to 40 gallon size to get the same between fillup mileage. And I sure don't see E85 selling for 1/3 less!!

Thanks but no thanks. I'll stick with pure gasoline.

f5fstop
05-02-2006, 06:46 PM
A knock sensor only detects knock, and this signal to the PCM means to retard timing. What I was trying to say very early in the AM, without a large enough coffee infusion, is, if there is no knock, the PCM will advance timing until knock is detected than back off.
However, the knock sensor cannot detect higher octane, is is piezo device that generates a signal from a specific resonance from the engine (knock).
Increasing the octane may or may not give you more HP or fuel milage, it all depends on how bad the regular fuel is and if it promotes knock. Less likely to have knock with a slightly higher fuel, but my main question is very simply, "is it worth the price." In this area, mid-grade is ten cents higher than regular.
I ran a few tanks of mid-grade just to see what happened, and nothing, about a one or two tenths rise in fuel mileage.

As for the cylinder head teardowns. Just checking cylinder heads and trying to find a faster way to service them in the future. Right now, the teardown is about 18 hours, new tool might decrease it to around 8 hours.

HummerNewbie
05-02-2006, 06:57 PM
I have a buddy that swears by running premium because he gets an extra 1 or 2 miles per gallon in his 5.4 liter F150. I calculated it one time for him that even though he is getting that extra MPG it is actually costing him more to go that same number of miles. Still swears by premium though http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

lance-n
05-02-2006, 09:38 PM
thank you for your comprehensive post about your personal experience. i did a fair amount of research, too before i bought. i was a little nervous buying a new vehicle and immediately going over 1000 miles away from the nearest dealer. fortunately, the only issue i have had with mine, it has 7k miles on it now is the serv4wd light keeps coming on and there is nobody nearby to fix it. the 4wd still works and engages fine, but that annoying light comes on randomly every 80 miles or so.
regardless of all that, i am totally stoked with this truck. i was pretty much a ford man until last year. i will say that the ford bronco's, which i still own a 1995 with only 50k miles on it in pristine condition do have a little tighter turning radius that the h3's, but also have a shorter wheelbase.
with regards to the octane discussion, here in mexico, the regular unleaded is so low quality, its says it is 87, but i have yet to hear of any engine that wont knock from it. there is no mid grade here, so its right up to the 3.50 per gallon premium. maybe i get a little better mileage, maybe i don't, but i do feel more comfortable putting the cleaner fuel in. i haven't even tried using the regular in this vehicle and would be skeptical to try it.
one item that you guru's may have some experience with;
i do not do much heavy driving, but i have noticed lately that if i open the back door after driving a little while, it seems overly hot near the base of the door. i know the muffler is right there - DUH, but it seems it has been really hot lately. i have been watching the temp gauge and it always runs consistently cool, even in the hot weather here.
any advice?

Steve - SanJose
05-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Yea and the oil/gas companies love those that pay extra for higher octane fuel that's not necessary http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

S.

MajorGeek
05-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Lance,
I cant answer that, I swapped out to a Borla dual exhaust, so it may run cooler with that, otherwise, I was at the back door today after driving and noticed nothing at all... for what its worth.

Steve - SanJose
05-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Lance,

Have't noticed any heat with either the stock exhaust or the Corsa that I added a few months later.

I was in Cabo at Christmas and only saw H2's then. An H3 would be perfect for driving down there. I was told by a realtor that a Hummer dealership was going up in Cabo. Heard anything about that?

S.

Rick
05-03-2006, 12:48 AM
MajorGeek... Higher octane fuel, as other have said, do you no good on this vehicle. If it were a higher compression performance vehicle... Then you would need it. It won't harm your engine... But it is a waste of money.

In talking to Mobil 1... They say you can put their full synthetic oil starting day one... But I'm with fstop... I waited for 2000 miles to switch mine.

By the way... Your grammar was just fine... And you expressed all the same thoughts... pros and cons... that most of us have expressed during our ownership.

BTW... I'm a fan of your site... Good stuff!

Trinity
05-03-2006, 02:05 AM
The amazing thing to me is that you become somewhat of a mini-celebrity. Everyone, I mean everyone, wants to talk to you about the Hummer. At the gas station, dry cleaners, mall, etc. I can not tell you how many times I've have heard from a passenger "WOW! I got to ride in a Hummer! Wait till I tell my (insert spouse, family member, best friend's name here)!

Make no mistake. You are buying a serious off-road machine. But you are also buying an icon.

MajorGeek
05-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Rick, thanks!

Trinity, thats true, I get that quite often myself. I try and tell them they can have one for a reasonable price, but I guess most people want a mini-van http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Rick
05-03-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Trinity:
The amazing thing to me is that you become somewhat of a mini-celebrity. Everyone, I mean everyone, wants to talk to you about the Hummer. At the gas station, dry cleaners, mall, etc. I can not tell you how many times I've have heard from a passenger "WOW! I got to ride in a Hummer! Wait till I tell my (insert spouse, family member, best friend's name here)!

Make no mistake. You are buying a serious off-road machine. But you are also buying an icon.

Yup... This still slays me. EVERY time I fill up... Someone makes a comment. These days it's usually, "I bet you're sorry you bought that now aren't you?" I usually just laugh and say... "Not at 18MPG!... I LOVE IT... It's one of the most fun vehicles you'll ever drive!"

I've heard a lot of Jeep owners say they are thinking about getting one... I've only received a few dirty looks. My future Brother-in-law is a tree hugger type. I figured I'd catch a case of the ass from him... He was actually pretty cool about it... Especially when I told him it was rated for 20 MPG (ahhh... He's starting to piss me off anyway!)

The stares are definitely there!

MajorGeek
05-03-2006, 10:29 AM
I could write that review for weeks more. Yesterday, I decided to remove 7 large bushes that have been in place for at least 20 years. The roots ran deep and it was damp, so they were heavy. I originally thought I could dig them up, but after digging around the first one, it did not even move. We hooked a chain to the H3 and gassed it with a little slack and only one took a few tries. They were in so deep that the H3 would actually slide the front end sideways if you tried a simple pull with the chain tight. The last one had me thinking the front end was going to come off the ground http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The H3 got it done, we pulled them all in 30 minutes. I didnt know what to expect, thought the bumper might fall off with some of those hard pulls, it's all untested territory for me. Between that, and the H3 track at the dealer, I wonder what I can't do? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Im driving anywhere I can.... where the pavement ends.

MajorGeek
06-09-2006, 03:02 AM
thank you for your comprehensive post about your personal experience. i did a fair amount of research, too before i bought. i was a little nervous buying a new vehicle and immediately going over 1000 miles away from the nearest dealer. fortunately, the only issue i have had with mine, it has 7k miles on it now is the serv4wd light keeps coming on and there is nobody nearby to fix it. the 4wd still works and engages fine, but that annoying light comes on randomly every 80 miles or so.
regardless of all that, i am totally stoked with this truck. i was pretty much a ford man until last year. i will say that the ford bronco's, which i still own a 1995 with only 50k miles on it in pristine condition do have a little tighter turning radius that the h3's, but also have a shorter wheelbase.
with regards to the octane discussion, here in mexico, the regular unleaded is so low quality, its says it is 87, but i have yet to hear of any engine that wont knock from it. there is no mid grade here, so its right up to the 3.50 per gallon premium. maybe i get a little better mileage, maybe i don't, but i do feel more comfortable putting the cleaner fuel in. i haven't even tried using the regular in this vehicle and would be skeptical to try it.
one item that you guru's may have some experience with;
i do not do much heavy driving, but i have noticed lately that if i open the back door after driving a little while, it seems overly hot near the base of the door. i know the muffler is right there - DUH, but it seems it has been really hot lately. i have been watching the temp gauge and it always runs consistently cool, even in the hot weather here.
any advice?
I got that same thing at about 3,500 miles. It went away. It came back, it went away. Have not seen it since. Was going to reset the computer, but figured I would take it in one day ans ask about it :)

milbrath47
06-09-2006, 03:28 AM
DUDE! you run majorgeek.com????????????????? I dl a ****load of stuff from that sight!!! Good ****!!!!!!!!!!!!

MajorGeek
06-09-2006, 04:39 AM
Yes, I am the co-owner, founder or whatever you want to call it :) Appreciate you visiting, thank you very much.

deserth3
06-09-2006, 05:25 AM
Excellent review. But on my first drive I found myself doing 75 and the end of the ramp. This truck just wants to go on the highway and off too.

I drive 30 miles one way to work (the truck does the 30 home by itsealf) and so far have been pretty steady at 19.6 mpg. I just love telling people that when they ask why I bought a gas hog. I've also had several responses of "that's better than my car gets".

So far my only problem is it stumbles when excellerating from a dead stop when the tranny or something underneath get's wet. It only lasts for a second or less and then goes fine. It's going in Monday to get looked at.

MajorGeek
06-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Well, I have found the cruise control to be terrible. Not sure if it is the i-5 or not. I mean, you must admit, at around 75 mph, the engine is working pretty hard. I find on hills the cruise accelerates until your as much as 5 mph over where you need to be. I dont recall if my Trailblazer was like that. I do know my Lincoln always kept the speed exact.

I also heard they are putting in an 8. Isnt that overkill? I am guessing that the I6 wont fit in there, so they went for the 8. Having the 8 will probably be cool considering the weight though. Time will tell.

I am in a weird area, you rarely see an H3 out here, I even have seen more H2's. Travelling to other areas (bigger cities like Charlotte, NYC, Florida) I see a lot more of them, so its especially fun here because you see them so rarely.

I dont have much else to add to the review except that next time I will make sure I get the trailer hitch that comes with the H3 and will not put on an aftermarket exhaust. These 2 add-on (as warned to me by members here) cut into ground clearance and are getting banged up.

Matt19
06-09-2006, 09:02 PM
Thanks man, i really needed to read something like that.

I love the "oh ****" handles=)

lance-n
06-09-2006, 09:08 PM
19 to the gallon? i have calculated fuel economy on just about every tank and haven't seen better than 15 mpg yet! it is more fun here because you have to and no, i do not drive like a maniac, although i am used to driving a v-8. i do have the adventure package with the undercarraige plates and 33" a/t tires. maybe that makes up the difference?

my bronco, with a small block 8 get 11 - 13 mpg and the H3 gets 14 - 15

keep in mind that my work commute is only about 6 miles and probably not good for fuel economy.

NEOCON1
06-10-2006, 12:48 AM
its gonna be a 3.7 I5 :D

MajorGeek
06-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Ahh, I read V-8 Diesel and gas, too bad I cant find it now :) Bit bigger and ill be happier.