PDA

View Full Version : Anybody change their own oil?

Zing
01-05-2004, 12:54 AM
I always found it easier and time effective to change my own oil but haven't done it yet on the H2. How easy is it, particularly to remove the skid plate underneath? Also where is the oil filter, is it easy to reach?

Zing
01-05-2004, 12:54 AM
I always found it easier and time effective to change my own oil but haven't done it yet on the H2. How easy is it, particularly to remove the skid plate underneath? Also where is the oil filter, is it easy to reach?

Klaus
01-05-2004, 01:20 AM
Just changed mine today (see my other post about the heater hoses).

This was the second time I changed my oil. I still made a mess, but less than last time.

I don't remove the skid plate. What I do to keep the oil from running everywhere is to get a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil, and shape it to flow the oil where it will not contact the bars. Kind of like a special shaped funnel.

The oil filter is aggravating to get to. I use a filter socket that slips on the end of the filter, and has a square hole in it to use a 3/8" socket. The filter is right next to the oil pan on the driver’s side. It will be full of oil, and will make a mess.

Also, if you run the engine to get the oil warm before you change it, beware of the catalytic converter. I have a nice red spot on my left arm from contacting it while removing the filter.

BTW, I use a Mobil 1 filter, M1-107, and Mobil 1 5w-30 oil.

Klaus

"God made some men big and some men small, but Sam Colt made them all equal."

Klaus
01-05-2004, 01:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alec W:
Another question. Once changed how do you reset the DIC?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It resets itself in about 10 minutes! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Sorry about that, couldn't resist.

From the owner's manual:

GM Oil Life System

Press the fuel information button until ENGINE OIL
LIFE appears in the display. The GM Oil Life System
shows an estimate of the oil’s remaining useful life.
It will show 100% when the system is reset after an
oil change. It will alert you to change your oil on a
schedule consistent with your driving conditions.

Always reset the engine oil life after an oil change.
To reset the Oil Life System press and hold the select
button for five seconds while ENGINE OIL LIFE is
displayed. OIL LIFE RESET will appear on the display
for 10 seconds to let you know the system is reset.

The DIC does not replace the need to maintain your
vehicle as recommended in the Maintenance Schedule
in this manual. Also, the oil change reminder will not
detect dusty conditions or engine malfunctions that
may affect the oil. Also, the oil change reminder does
not measure how much oil you have in your engine.
So, be sure to check your oil level often. See “Engine
Oil” in the Index.

Klaus

Klaus
01-05-2004, 01:51 AM
Alec,

I have the owner's manual on my laptop in PDF format. Nice to look something up without having to go get the paper manual. Good for searches as well.

Klaus

Zing
01-05-2004, 01:59 AM
Thanks Klaus. Do you jack up the H2? Looks to me like you can just slide underneath.

Klaus
01-05-2004, 02:10 AM
No need to lift the truck. I can crawl under even with tube steps installed.

Klaus

Dick Renaud
01-05-2004, 04:03 AM
Check out this pump from Griot's Garage. It is available in the pnematic version at this link. Also available in a hand pump version.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=10186&search.x=13&search.y=4
This won't eliminate neading to change the filter, but would eliminate the mess of draining the oil.

HUMMUH
01-05-2004, 04:13 AM
For 12 bucks you can buy a Fram SureDrain H2 takes the SD4 model)and just screw on the hose they provide and no skid plate problem. The foil is still a cheaper option but this is a small expense for a long term solution and it is always with you.

Still looking at the best filter option to avoid spills. Best option so far is to get a large plastic bag on the cooled filter and unscrew it. It avoids it running down the filter and all over.

Any other good filter soltions?

04 H2,Lux, Nav, Air Suspension, Polished Vortec Supercharger, BP Ram Air Towers, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Dbl. Brushguard, Polished Skid Plate, MC2 Hum-Loc II Wheels, Delphi XM, Rear Tire Mount

Spike
01-05-2004, 04:44 AM
The last time the Fram Sure Drain was discussed on this forum, Fram had not made one yet for the H2. As of tonight, Fram's website still does not show a Sure Drain application for H2's. Is that SD4 the proper one? Does anyone have any new information regarding a Sure Drain for the H2.

S&B Member

Easy Ed
01-05-2004, 08:22 AM
Just put the Fram SD4 on our H2 Saturday. Read somewhere (may have been another forum) a e-mail that was sent from Fram to a H2 owner wanting to know what would fit and Fram stated the SD4 was the one to use even though their site was not updated yet.

For the filter I tried to use a ice pick to poke a hole in the filter and let it drain but still had some oil coming out while removing the filter :-(

Easy Ed
Black 2003 Lux H2

Klaus
01-05-2004, 12:31 PM
I did a little searching on the net about the Fram Sure-Drain. Be aware that by its design, you will not get as much of the old oil drained (you are raising the drain hole by the thickness of the adapter). It seems to depend on the design of the oil pan as to how much oil stays in the pan.

Also note the factory oil plug has a magnetic tip to catch metal shavings.

Klaus

Centerfire
01-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Go for it guys.. The local shop or dealers charge under $30.00 to do an oil change.. I'm not crawling under the darn thing for $19.95 to $29.95.

Mike

Klaus
01-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Mike,

It is true that it is easier to have someone else do it. However, it gives me a chance to check for other problems, such as the heater hose issue I found (see my other post).

Klaus

PARAGON
01-05-2004, 02:55 PM
Klaus,

I guess I am a hybrid of both you and Mike. I love to turn wrenches just as much as the next guy but mostly on something new, not the same ole same ole like changing oil.

BUT, I do find myself occassionlly just crawling under the rig just to look around. It's relaxing to just lay there and look at every little aspect of the underside.