PDA

View Full Version : drl mod question

brndray
11-22-2005, 05:54 AM
Today I did the driving light mod as and it works fine. However, I used a rocker switch with an led on it, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the led to work properly on it. It's a three pole switch so I used one for each relay and the other for a ground. When the headlights are on the led will not light up but when the headlights are off the led comes on. I moved the wires to different positions with the same results. I can only get the led to work when the headlights are off. I want the led to work only when the driving lights are on. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?

brndray
11-22-2005, 05:54 AM
Today I did the driving light mod as and it works fine. However, I used a rocker switch with an led on it, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the led to work properly on it. It's a three pole switch so I used one for each relay and the other for a ground. When the headlights are on the led will not light up but when the headlights are off the led comes on. I moved the wires to different positions with the same results. I can only get the led to work when the headlights are off. I want the led to work only when the driving lights are on. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?

tomp
11-22-2005, 11:56 AM
-1 wire to ground

-1 wire to positive

-1 wire to relay trigger (possibly marked with a letter "A" on the switch. Stands for accessory)

brndray
11-22-2005, 04:41 PM
No luck! I just tried to run one hot, one to the drl relay and a ground. Got the same results, any other suggestions?

tomp
11-22-2005, 05:09 PM
Please tell what each connector on the switch has marked next to it?

FYI, the switch is still a SPST (single pole - single throw) switch. It just has an extra connector for the LED operation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">moved the wires to different positions with the same results. I can only get the led to work when the headlights are off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tomp
11-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Why are you using two realys? It only takes one to get it to work.

It's also a good idea to use a diode in the circuit so as to not interfere with the standard DRL functions of the vehicle.

brndray
11-22-2005, 07:18 PM
One pole is gold or copper, it has +/- I used it for ground. The other two are silver in color. One has a 1 by it and the other has a 2. I ran a wire directly to the 85 terminal of the drl relay, and the other I had hooked up the the correct pole on the parking lot relay. I took tour advise and moved the parking light relay to a constant hot. Thanks for your help thus far.

tomp
11-22-2005, 08:38 PM
-1 wire to ground (gold pin)

-1 wire to relay trigger (possibly marked with a letter "A" on the switch. Stands for accessory) THIS SHOULD BE THE MIDDLE PIN AND THE ONE THAT GOES TO "TRIGGER" ON RELAY.

-1 wire to positive (BATTERY)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">-1 wire to ground

-1 wire to positive

-1 wire to relay trigger (possibly marked with a letter "A" on the switch. Stands for accessory) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tomp
11-22-2005, 08:40 PM
I added some more notes above. This is how the typical switch should be wired. If this does not work correctly, try another switch or try in on a mock circuit seperate from the DRL on you are working on.