7" Wide screen monitor with touchscreen
Mount as shown in the dash below
XM Radio Box and Harness
XM Antenna
GPS Antenna
All necessary cables for connection
Windows XP Pro
Delorme Street Atlas 2006

I will personally setup each of the PC's, check the screens, setup the necessary drivers, GPS, etc.

There are a few things you will need.
1. Wire to run to Power (I will show you where)
2. Wireless of your choice (There are too many options here so I have not included it.)
3. Ability to install it. (If you wanted me to install it, we can discuss that, I am in Knoxville, TN)

The introductory price on these is going to be $1879 USD and will include ground shipping to the continguous US.

I would like a $1000 deposit via PAYPAL at nick.steffens@usionline.net
If I don't receive 5 deposits the projects costing will have to be reviewed and anyone who sent in a deposit will be notified and their money refunded.

I have set this up to build 5 at a time and expect a 3 week delivery to the first 5. If I can get them done sooner, I will. You will be notified that your unit is complete and I will expect the balance of the payment for the unit in 24 hours unless we make another arrangement and after reciept of the balance your unit will be shipped.

OPTIONS:
If you want the scanning software that I use, please contact me. It would be a $700 option, I can work that out with you.
A few have expressed interest in a dual processor. I personnally see no use in it, but can provide that as well. This would be an additional $325. Any optional equipment would need to be included in you initial deposit.

The frontend software will be installed and setup as well. This software is an open source front end and all pertinent information will be provided to each purchaser. I will provide support for the software, but I am not charging for the inclusion of the software with the PC.

I think I have included all of the necessary information to get this started, if there are any other questions, I will do my best to answer them.

Here are some pictures of the units:

http://www.usionline.net/PC/PC1.jpg

http://www.usionline.net/PC/PC2.jpg

http://www.usionline.net/PC/PC3.jpg

http://www.usionline.net/PC/PC.jpg

http://www.usionline.net/PC/BLUE.jpg

Paypal for deposit is nick.steffens@usionline.net

BLOWNZO6
10-21-2005, 07:00 PM
The first run of my H2 PC's are now for sale. Here is what is included:

PC - 1Ghz Processor
512 RAM
Onboard Video
Onboard Sound
CDRW/DVD ROM
Adapter to hook this system to the stock Bose sounds system - NO AMPS NECESSARY
XM Radio Box and Harness
XM Antenna
GPS Antenna
Windows XP Pro

I will personally setup each of the PC's, check the screens, setup the necessary drivers, GPS, etc.

2. Wireless of your choice (There are too many options here so I have not included it.)
3. Ability to install it. (If you wanted me to install it, we can discuss that, I am in Knoxville, TN)

The introductory price on these is going to be $1879 USD and will include ground shipping to the continguous US.

If I don't receive 5 deposits the projects costing will have to be reviewed and anyone who sent in a deposit will be notified and their money refunded.

I have set this up to build 5 at a time and expect a 3 week delivery to the first 5. If I can get them done sooner, I will. You will be notified that your unit is complete and I will expect the balance of the payment for the unit in 24 hours unless we make another arrangement and after reciept of the balance your unit will be shipped.

OPTIONS:
If you want the scanning software that I use, please contact me. It would be a $700 option, I can work that out with you.
A few have expressed interest in a dual processor. I personnally see no use in it, but can provide that as well. This would be an additional $325. Any optional equipment would need to be included in you initial deposit.

The frontend software will be installed and setup as well. This software is an open source front end and all pertinent information will be provided to each purchaser. I will provide support for the software, but I am not charging for the inclusion of the software with the PC.

I think I have included all of the necessary information to get this started, if there are any other questions, I will do my best to answer them.

Paypal for deposit is nick.steffens@usionline.net

YNGMD
10-22-2005, 11:41 PM
very cool . . . anymore pics/info. I think I want one

BLOWNZO6
10-23-2005, 12:42 AM
What other questions do you have or what would you like to see? Post them up and I will take them one at a time http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

dochummer
10-23-2005, 01:48 AM
How's the noise from the main box? Do you have some pretty quiet fans?

MovinH2
10-23-2005, 02:05 AM
Would someone not very audio/video minded be able to do the install?

NJ H2
10-23-2005, 04:56 AM
How is the Delorme Street Atlas 2006? and is this DVD NAV?
Can I hook up my Alpine NAV?
Is there a wireless mouse/keyboard?
Can you get online with your cell phone if no wireless cnnection available?
Can I run the JL Stealth box sub thru this with an amp?
Can I run a CD/DVD player to a aux input?
Is there an output for the NAV and DVD to run other screens?
Where is the DVD rom located?
Does that screen flip up?
Sorry for all the questions?

BLOWNZO6
10-23-2005, 12:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dochummer:
How's the noise from the main box? Do you have some pretty quiet fans? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only noise there is is on initial startup... there is about a 3 second whine. Other than that you hear no noice. There are two fans in the case and one on the processor, you cannot hear anything, even with the system muted.

BLOWNZO6
10-23-2005, 12:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xAltitude:
What outputs does it have (i.e head rest screens) and is there any slots for a wireless card? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It has one vga and one composite output. You can buy some readily available units to split and boost the VGA signal to go to several monitors or you can get composite video splitters as well. This will not be a problem for you.

The board I have picked do not have a PCMCIA slot. I can use one that does, if you want it that way, I will supply it for no additional charge. You will have to sacrifice the ability to add a PCI card later though. The reason I did not include this is that I have been using a USB dongle with a long cord mounted high up in the vehicle. I don't know how well it would work with the card under the seat. I can supply the unit this way though. It would also have a CF slot with this configuration as well.

BLOWNZO6
10-23-2005, 12:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MovinH2:
Would someone not very audio/video minded be able to do the install? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The hardest part of installing this will be taking the console out. The rest is very easy. It is just popping some panels out to run wiring, it is very straight forward. There are really less than 15 connections that need to be done. I will do all of the modifications to the video screen, etc.

BLOWNZO6
10-23-2005, 01:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NJ H2:
Sorry for all the questions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. The Delorme software is very detailed. The 2006 version is MUCH better to use. To still do on the fly programming you really would benefit from using a keyboard, the computer has an On Screen Keyboard, but using a mini one is the best way. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would say it is an 8, I like the features, I like the maps, etc. I have used it on a long trip, it will respond to voice commands if you set up a microphone, it will also give voice commands while you are driving. I hooked mine up in my house before I put it in the truck and programmed in all of the normal places that I travel. THEN it is VERY easy, you just pick where you are going and starting from on a pull down menu. It is not DVD nav, all the maps are on the hard drive, no need to tie up a drive.
2. I have no experienve with teh alpine NAV, if you can hook it up through a computer you can use it. There are two more Video inputs for this screen. If you can feed it to a normal composite video feed, then you should be able to use it. I am not sure about the sound. Sorry I am just not familiar with it.
3. If you can interface your phone with a computer, you can use it to get online with this, it has all of the functions of a normal PC.
4. Yes you can run amplifiers with this and an auxilary sub box. Basically have an RCA that runs from the computer to the adapter harness, you would just run the RCA to your amp and then from the amp to the adapter.
5. There should be no need for a CD/DVD player in an aux input. You will have 80GB of HD space to store movies or songs. There is a CD/DVD drive on the unit or you can remote locate it, with the purchase of a USB external housing.
6. I covered the "other screens" question in another reply.
7. No that screen does not flip up, it is mounted exactly where it is.

The questions are not a problem... http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BLOWNZO6
10-23-2005, 02:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xAltitude:
and is there any slots for a wireless card? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I went ahead and ordered a board with the wireless slot to see if the wireless PCMCIA card is effective or not.

md_sailor
10-23-2005, 03:07 PM
What about connecting an Ipod? Will the uspec adapter allow it to function in place of a CD Changer? I cant dump the Ipod contents to the Car Cpu as it is Paired with my Desk top. Can you think of a better option that would allow ipod menu access on the Touch screen?

md_sailor
10-23-2005, 03:09 PM
Oh yea, What if you have Factory XM? Do I have to swap out the XM Reciever and Antenna? I have The 2005 TSN with XM and My Ipod replacing the Changer.

BLOWNZO6
10-23-2005, 04:02 PM
If you can make the ipod work with a PC you can probably make it work with this. I don't know about integration into the system. If it had it's own software it can be embedded and them an option added to the menu to listen to it. If you can point me to he software you are using I can try it. My wife has an iPod, I could try it with hers.

Again.. not sure why you would need it though. I have about 6,700 mp3's on my pc. If I down load a song, I just transfer it to it via wireless or my USB drive.

With the factory XM, that is a good question. I would assume that the factory antenna would work. You could probably get it all to work with it, I have not researched it so I cannot give you a firm answer on either.

BLOWNZO6
10-23-2005, 10:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by md_sailor:
What about connecting an Ipod? Will the uspec adapter allow it to function in place of a CD Changer? I cant dump the Ipod contents to the Car Cpu as it is Paired with my Desk top. Can you think of a better option that would allow ipod menu access on the Touch screen? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I took an old head unit I have here and hooked it up to the computer. Of course you can't control it with the computer, but you can listen to it through the PC, I am doing it right now.

So.. yes you can listen to your Ipod through it.
Hope that helps.

md_sailor
10-25-2005, 12:56 PM
Thank you, What does the Scanner option do? What are you scanning?

BLOWNZO6
10-25-2005, 01:02 PM
The software I use is HP Tuners and it is a fully functional scanner for the truck. You can log anything that the computer has. It is also a fully functioning programmer, so you can program anything with the ECU and transmission.

Longhorn
10-25-2005, 09:57 PM
Damn! This is really cool. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Could it be configured for Sirius?

Does it have an aux RCA sound input? Then I could use my existing Kenwood stand alone sat radio module.

Any remote IR option for control? Something that might be compatible with a Soundgate steering wheel control module?

BLOWNZO6
10-26-2005, 08:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Longhorn:
Damn! This is really cool. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Could it be configured for Sirius?

Does it have an aux RCA sound input? Then I could use my existing Kenwood stand alone sat radio module.

Any remote IR option for control? Something that might be compatible with a Soundgate steering wheel control module? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. Yes the front end can use Sirius as well. I could work something out with you if don't want the XM unit. You would be on your own to set it up, there are other skins out there to control the Sirius radio. I don't have one so I cannot tell you how to set it up.

2. You could use the mic input for what you are looking for.

3. I have used a media PC remote on mine, the touch screen is an easier way, but any remote compatible with the computer will work.

md_sailor
10-26-2005, 11:53 AM
Will this Unit function with the Factory GPS antenna?

md_sailor
10-26-2005, 11:56 AM
I'm sure many of us would like to Keep the Factory XM and GPS equipment. It would simplify things greatly. Not to mention expand the appeal to all the Lux owners out here with Factory GPS and XM

BLOWNZO6
10-26-2005, 12:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by md_sailor:
I'm sure many of us would like to Keep the Factory XM and GPS equipment. It would simplify things greatly. Not to mention expand the appeal to all the Lux owners out here with Factory GPS and XM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The factory GPS unit is tied into the onstar unit and the signal is created in the box. You would have to hack into the box to use the factory antenna. The new GPS antenna is very easy to run and about 1.5" in diameter. The factory XM unit is an add on unit and I have tried to incorporate it.

I don't see how it would simply things at all? If you did not have GPS or XM, the cost to go and buy factory XM and GPS units would far outweigh the cost of the aftermarket ones. The way I have decided to intergrate the computer is the most cost effective way. I have had the Onstar unit apart and investigated using the factory GPS antenna and the work required to tap into it would far outweigh the cost of the aftermarket parts.

You do have the option of continuing to use your factory radio. You can feed the computer into the AUX port on the radio and just switch the factory radio to AUX and make a screen mount for the screen elsewhere. This was what I did the entire time I was originally testing the system.

http://www.usionline.net/IMG_0370.jpg

H2_SUT_SC
10-26-2005, 04:12 PM
Hey blown - check your e-mail bro

HUMMERDOGG
10-27-2005, 02:57 AM
BLOWNZ06-

You have two PM's...

md_sailor
10-27-2005, 01:32 PM
The GPS antenna Is NOT part of Onstar. I Installed My TSN and XM and GPS. The GPS antenna Is a Chip unit that mounts under the dash at the base of the Windshield.

BLOWNZO6
10-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Sorry.. my post was a bit misleading.

The part of the factory GPS that translates and send the NMEA compliant signal is part of the onstar unit. That is what you have to tap into, not simply plug the antenna into the computer.

This is the information I found, if you have other information, please PM me a link to it.

Thanks.

H2_SUT_SC
10-27-2005, 03:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2_SUT_SC:
Hey blown - check your e-mail bro </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

^

md_sailor
10-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Blown, THe antenna for the GPS does plug directly into the Radio here is Klaus's Install link with Clear pictures of the unit..http://www.elcova.com/h2/2003H2GMNavigationInstall.pdf

BLOWNZO6
10-28-2005, 11:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">http://www.elcova.com/h2/2003H2GMNavigationInstall.pdf </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok I see what you are saying.. mine only plugs into the Onstar unit... I don't have the NAV radio. This still does not answer the question if this antenna can provide the necessary signal to the computer. I will see if I can come up with anything further. This is certainly interesting though. I appreciate the post... his truck has Onstar as well so does he run two antennas?

Klaus
10-28-2005, 11:55 AM
All H2s have OnStar, which uses the roof antenna over the driver's head for GPS and cellular. In 2005 this antenna was modified to also support XM.

If the H2 is also equipped with navigation, it has an additional GPS antenna in the dash.

I junked the OnStar and connected the OnStar's GPS roof antenna to my NAV unit. It has a much better view of the sky.

My suggestion would be to use an aftermarket GPS antenna, unless you are junking OnStar.

atlawson
10-28-2005, 07:50 PM
What mount are you using for you monitor when you left the factory radio in? I would rather have mine set up this way instead of replacing the radio....would this be an option and how would this effect the price?
Tracy

BLOWNZO6
10-28-2005, 11:05 PM
It is an option, I have not prefected the mount. I will be happy to provide what I used for the mount. I am not prepared to provide the mounts. They are not the best way to mount the screen. It was still a bit shakey, etc. It worked very well this way. As long as you don't mind adjusting the screen every once in a while. If you did not mind a screw in the plastic part of the dash (the replaceable part) you could find a better way to mount it for sure. As far as cost goes... I will make the PC package $1779 if you want to go that route. It is actually less work for me. As I said I will send you a picture of what I did for the mount. Anyone with simple hand tools can make it, nothing fancy.. took me about 30 minutes in my garage.

http://www.usionline.net/IMG_0361.jpg

md_sailor
10-29-2005, 01:53 PM
2 antennas? I have 3 on top and 1 in the dash? I have the onstar over the drivers side, The Factory Radio and Factory XM over the Passenger side and the GPS in the Dash. THis is the Reason for asking if the new unit would be able to use the existing XM and GPS. The Factory XM has a Seperate Reciever behind the Glove Compartment that then plugs up to the Factory Head unit. If I have to Abandon these units I dont think I would be interested in the new set up. I have too much time and Money involved in the Installation of them.

BLOWNZO6
10-29-2005, 02:10 PM
2 antennas? I have 3 on top and 1 in the dash? I have the onstar over the drivers side, The Factory Radio and Factory XM over the Passenger side and the GPS in the Dash. THis is the Reason for asking if the new unit would be able to use the existing XM and GPS. The Factory XM has a Seperate Reciever behind the Glove Compartment that then plugs up to the Factory Head unit. If I have to Abandon these units I dont think I would be interested in the new set up. I have too much time and Money involved in the Installation of them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You cannot even see the other antennas you will adding. You are going to have let them go or do what I suggested above. These PC's are like anything else aftermarket. This was designed to look as factory installed as possible and I have gotten nothing but positive feedback on them and have many interested. I am setting up the system for my Corvette right now. I have done my best to make the least work possible and integrate it as much as possible.

md_sailor
10-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Ok I understand that The Nav would plug into Onstar, What about the factory XM unit? Will that plug up to your unit?

BLOWNZO6
10-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Ok I understand that The Nav would plug into Onstar, What about the factory XM unit? Will that plug up to your unit? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't even have one to try it. So I cannot answer that. The antenna may plug up the XM unit. Don't know about the XM unit to PC, again, I don't have one, so no idea. If you can tell me it the XM unit had a 8 pin mini DIN plug on it, I could tell you. Without one I have no idea. As I said, my truck or the Corvette did not come with one.

Sportsdude
10-30-2005, 05:33 PM
BlownZ06, PM sent.

Boar-Ral
11-02-2005, 07:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NJ H2:
Sorry for all the questions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There is software available for Canada that includes turn-by-turn directions as well. I imagine it would be easy to get up and running on this system.

If you have an existing navigation system and you are interested in the PC aspects of this system, you would be able to use its composite outputs to add to the navigation system. You would lack your touchscreen capability on the PC, but there are a few nice wireless keyboard and mouse sets that are RF, not IR, meaning you do not need line of sight for the remote. (One of the sets uses a gyroscopic mouse so you use it in the air.)

Using a mobile phone to get online would be quite easy, too, as most new ones have USB cables to connect to the PC to emulate a modem. It would vary from phone to phone, but I imagine it would be a simple procedure.

Since the factory stereo is still handling the audio, you can use whatever speakers and subwoofers you want. You could input your own audio using the inputs on the system. (I have a good idea what platform is being used for this system.)

I realize that it is BLOWNZ06's project, but I have built a lot of these systems for customers over the past four years, so I thought I would offer my two cents. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Boar-Ral
11-02-2005, 07:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BLOWNZO6:
I went ahead and ordered a board with the wireless slot to see if the wireless PCMCIA card is effective or not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you are using an EPIA board, you should be pleasantly surprised. I have had excellent results using these boards with a Sierra Wireless card in my AutoPCs. Beats the 'old' days where PCMCIA slots were not available, so I had to shell out $250 for PCMCIA slots that connected to the PCI slot.

Boar-Ral
11-02-2005, 07:56 PM
What about connecting an Ipod? Will the uspec adapter allow it to function in place of a CD Changer? I cant dump the Ipod contents to the Car Cpu as it is Paired with my Desk top. Can you think of a better option that would allow ipod menu access on the Touch screen? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You might be able to use a different input, too. There are several iPod adapters for our headunits that also offer an auxiliary input, which the PC would use.

YNGMD
11-12-2005, 01:37 AM
Is the price still $1800 or have we changed it?

BLOWNZO6
11-12-2005, 02:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by YNGMD:
Is the price still $1800 or have we changed it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Price is still $1879, no changes. To be honest I have had a TON of interest, but have not sold one yet. I am very excited about selling some, none yet.

Let me know if you are interested.

Boar-Ral
11-13-2005, 05:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BLOWNZO6:
Price is still $1879, no changes. To be honest I have had a TON of interest, but have not sold one yet. I am very excited about selling some, none yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It sometimes takes awhile to separate those who are genuinely interested from those who are just curious. I have only sold AutoPCs locally, because people want an opportunity to actually use it first. Very few have been sold any distance from here, and only from recommendations from those they trust who I have installed for. It is really disappointing, because I can relate to what you are saying here. I've received about 175 e-mails or instant messages from people interested, but have only sold about 5% - 10% that. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, though - your clean installation will be a great benefit to the end user.

BLOWNZO6
11-13-2005, 09:17 PM
I certainly appreciate it. This is definately more of a hobby thing for me. I have put a few together and had several suggest that I put them for sale. Either way I love mine and the flexibility that comes with it. I am just a gadget nut at heart so sell them or not I will continue to develop and use mine.

Thanks again.

VTSTOMPER
11-13-2005, 09:32 PM
If you need a beta tester - let me know! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BLOWNZO6
11-14-2005, 12:39 AM
If by beta tester you mean free unit.. sorry.

Again as I said.. I have a good paying "normal" job, not looking to get rich here.

For $1879.. you can TEST AWAY... LOL

VTSTOMPER
11-14-2005, 12:47 AM
I know, I know...just trying to make you smile!

I hear that "beta" stuff every day in the Datacom field I work.

I honestly think it looks great. If I was not on a newborn baby budget - I would be all over it like a wet t-shirt. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Boar-Ral
11-14-2005, 01:32 PM
I certainly appreciate it. This is definately more of a hobby thing for me. I have put a few together and had several suggest that I put them for sale. Either way I love mine and the flexibility that comes with it. I am just a gadget nut at heart so sell them or not I will continue to develop and use mine.

Thanks again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is the same way that I found myself in this situation. The first four prototypes were built for myself and a few friends recommended that I start offering to build them for others. If you sell 100 or 10 or none it does not matter, since anything extra is just a bonus. At the very least, you have an AutoPC for yourself.

I have not built one for my H2 yet, since I ordered the navigation system from the factory. I am still considering a new one for the H2 though, as time and money permits. There is a hardware and software combination that I am looking at that allows multiple people to connect to a single Windows XP PC, with their own keyboard, mouse, and monitor. The goal is to allow a monitor in the back of each headrest to display a separate Windows desktop so two people in the second row can be doing their own thing on their own virtual PC. Most of my friends are nerds, so mobile internet for the purposes of chatting is something I want to implement in my own vehicle. So far, mobile internet is something I have only done for others.

JetEyeNite
11-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Can you still use the volume up/down from the steering wheel?
what about the band control(FM/AM/CD, etc)? can it be controlled from the steering wheel?
How fast is the start up time? I would imagine that you'd put the system into either sleep mode or hibernation mode when the unit is not powered up. That leads me to another question. How much of bettery power does this unit draw when the vehicle is not running? Can you integrate both XM and Sirrus?
How good is the voice recognition on the Atlas?

thanks in advance

BLOWNZO6
11-20-2005, 08:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JetEyeNite:
what about the band control(FM/AM/CD, etc)? can it be controlled from the steering wheel?
How fast is the start up time? I would imagine that you'd put the system into either sleep mode or hibernation mode when the unit is not powered up. That leads me to another question. How much of bettery power does this unit draw when the vehicle is not running? Can you integrate both XM and Sirrus?

thanks in advance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The buttons on the steering wheel only work to control the ONSTAR, nothing related to the radio.

From boot, I would say it is about a minute. The way the power supply is setup it put the computer into standby and when you come back it just returns from standby, which takes about 3 seconds. I don't know how much amperage it draws when the vehicle is not running. The power supply will no let the battery go dead. If it senses the supply voltage is below 11V, it shuts the computer down. I parked at the airport for about 4 days.. came back, no problem.

I would assume you could use both Sirius and XM is you wanted to, it is compatible with both.

I have not used the voice recognition on the navigation to know how well it works.

Thanks,
Nick

Boar-Ral
11-21-2005, 01:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JetEyeNite:

thanks in advance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The buttons on the steering wheel only work to control the ONSTAR, nothing related to the radio.

From boot, I would say it is about a minute. The way the power supply is setup it put the computer into standby and when you come back it just returns from standby, which takes about 3 seconds. I don't know how much amperage it draws when the vehicle is not running. The power supply will no let the battery go dead. If it senses the supply voltage is below 11V, it shuts the computer down. I parked at the airport for about 4 days.. came back, no problem.

I would assume you could use both Sirius and XM is you wanted to, it is compatible with both.

I have not used the voice recognition on the navigation to know how well it works.

Thanks,
Nick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Depending on what auxiliary input adapter you are using to interface the AutoPC to the factory headunit, the steering wheel controls should still allow you to select between AM/FM/CD/Auxiliary Input. I recently finished testing a new auxiliary input in my H2 for this purpose and it seems to work well. Unfortunately, there is no easy way for the steering wheel controls to control the XM, Sirius, or other functions of the AutoPC, as far as my knowledge goes.

The power supply that I use in my AutoPCs connects to the motherboards using their 'power on' pins, so that when you turn the keys in your vehicle, the AutoPC turns on. Likewise, taking the keys out turns the AutoPC off. (This is all configurable in the power supply.) You can also setup a delay so that once you take the keys out, the AutoPC will remain on for 5 - 45 minutes before turning off. You can also configure the power supply to not turn off the AutoPC, but put it in hibernate mode, again using pins on the motherboard. This is all transparent to the user and results in an illusion of instant on, a big requirement for most users of these systems. With the AutoPC in hibernate mode, there is absolutely no power draw. The power supply cuts itself off until it detects ignition again.

Just my two cents!

BLOWNZO6
11-21-2005, 01:56 PM
If you are going to use the stock radio with the PC the controls on the stereo will work with the stock radio functions.

If you are going to do standalone. You are pretty much out of luck.

The power supply and turning on and off are really a non issue, the setup works very well.

Boar-Ral
11-21-2005, 02:21 PM
If you are going to use the stock radio with the PC the controls on the stereo will work with the stock radio functions.

If you are going to do standalone. You are pretty much out of luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I do wonder what sort of protocol is used for the steering wheel controls, though. A few times, I have considered tapping it to see how difficult it would be to make a homebrew setup that would interpret the steering wheel controls into a series of keystrokes on the PC.

BLOWNZO6
11-21-2005, 03:27 PM
It would not be hard. I have already investigated it. The biggest programming issue is what to do with the commands when they come into the computer. If you have someone who can get the commands from a USB relay to a PC key stroke, the integration is easy. You would only use the buttons to activate relays. I already have had them integrate the outputs to the relays in the front end.

I just don't miss the buttons, I thought I would, but I really don't.

On a side note.. I have been using a new front end that someone created.. it is very nice. Here are a few screen shots of it.

http://www.usionline.net/RR1.jpg

http://www.usionline.net/RR1.jpg

There are some things I still want to change on it, but it is very nice overall.

I have also been using some free software to compress movies from my personal DVD's and have about 15 movies now stored on my HDD for viewing. It is really nice.

BLOWNZO6
11-21-2005, 03:34 PM
ANYONE EVEN INTERESTED IN A DEMO UNIT?

I really want to get one of these out on the market for others to see.

I will sell the one that I have in my vehicle, to the first taker for $1500 including shipping. I really want to see one of these out somewhere.

Anyone? All the interest we had to begin with in the other thread I am surprised no one has jumped on this.

I can have it out and in your hands by next week.

Boar-Ral
11-22-2005, 06:42 PM
I love the skin that you are using in those screenshots. Road Runner is an incredible piece of software, and it looks even better with that skin. Very professional.

BLOWNZO6
11-22-2005, 06:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Boar-Ral:
I love the skin that you are using in those screenshots. Road Runner is an incredible piece of software, and it looks even better with that skin. Very professional. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am going to modify a few things with it, but overall it is great. The guy who created it PUT a lot of time into it.

HummerNewbie
11-22-2005, 07:07 PM
Blown, has anyone jumped on your demo offer yet? It is one hell of a great offer and somebody should jump on this. I would love to do it but can't at this time. After I get my H3 I will be in the market as long as it can be interfaced. Do you know how difficult it would be to interface with other vehicles? I was telling a buddy of mine who has a new F150 about your setup and he may be interested in one after the first of the year. I have recently been looking at some Nav software for my PocketPC that integrates with Outlook for addresses. Do you know if the Nav software you are using will do this?

NJ H2
11-26-2005, 03:53 AM
Is is possible to intergrate real time traffic data (http://www.directionsmag.com/press.releases/index.php?duty=Show&id=5401&trv=1) into the NAV?

BLOWNZO6
11-26-2005, 04:21 AM
Is is possible to intergrate real time traffic data (http://www.directionsmag.com/press.releases/index.php?duty=Show&id=5401&trv=1) into the NAV? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it has its own software, yes. Anything with its own interface can be integrated into the software and can be accessible from any place you would like in the software.

CBR_Raven
12-03-2005, 12:13 AM
The first run of my H2 PC's are now for sale. Here is what is included:

PC - 1Ghz Processor
512 RAM
Onboard Video
Onboard Sound
CDRW/DVD ROM
Adapter to hook this system to the stock Bose sounds system - NO AMPS NECESSARY
XM Radio Box and Harness
XM Antenna
GPS Antenna
Windows XP Pro

OPTIONS:

Paypal for deposit is nick.steffens@usionline.net </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Will this PC have wireless internet connection? Can the SlingBox be used with this setup?

BLOWNZO6
12-03-2005, 02:08 PM
You can use any type of wireless connection with it. It is not included. There are USB ports or a PCMCIA port if you would like one as well.

I have never seen that slingbox... that is pretty neat. Anything that will work with a PC will work with this computer. I see no reason why this would not work, you would just have to have some sort of wireless connection active at all times when you were using the unit.

Boar-Ral
12-05-2005, 01:06 PM
I have never seen that slingbox... that is pretty neat. Anything that will work with a PC will work with this computer. I see no reason why this would not work, you would just have to have some sort of wireless connection active at all times when you were using the unit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have seen some very impressive things done with AutoPCs in the past. That is the really great things about these devices. People like me, BlownZ06, and others can build the hardware and give general guidance, but since they are actual PCs, the real power is what the USER does with them. Slingbox reminds me of one owner of an AutoPC I saw who used Slingbox so that he could watch all of his satellite TV from home, streamed over the internet, to his vehicle. He made a nice front end to go through all of the channels and even bring up the TV guide, to see what was playing. It was just as if he were at home, except streamed over the internet, to his vehicle. People are truly limited only by their imaginations with this technology.

BLOWNZO6
12-05-2005, 01:17 PM
I agree.. my goal here is to put the basics and the hardware together in a package that he cost effective and pretty user friendly. I am open to pretty much any application and will do what my time allows to help integrate it into the software for all to use.

I am still very surprised that not one person has been on this yet.

I have been loving every minute of mine. I really don't even miss the local FM at all. I have also been using a free program called Gordian Knot to compress my DVD's and put them on the PC. I have about 20 movies on there now and have about 30 music videos as well. Using the music videos whenever I demo the system for people.. gives a much better effect that just listening to the movies.

I am looking for a rear fold down screen for the truck now.. something more to integrate.

I may go ahead and order of these slingboxes and see how it works. I don't have a roving broadband connection yet.. if you have some ideas please PM them to me.

BLOWNZO6
12-11-2005, 11:42 PM
TTT - What a great Christmas present!!!

http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

CBR_Raven
12-12-2005, 02:37 PM
I agree.. my goal here is to put the basics and the hardware together in a package that he cost effective and pretty user friendly. I am open to pretty much any application and will do what my time allows to help integrate it into the software for all to use.

I am still very surprised that not one person has been on this yet.

I have been loving every minute of mine. I really don't even miss the local FM at all. I have also been using a free program called Gordian Knot to compress my DVD's and put them on the PC. I have about 20 movies on there now and have about 30 music videos as well. Using the music videos whenever I demo the system for people.. gives a much better effect that just listening to the movies.

I am looking for a rear fold down screen for the truck now.. something more to integrate.

I may go ahead and order of these slingboxes and see how it works. I don't have a roving broadband connection yet.. if you have some ideas please PM them to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm very interested in what you have done with this PC. I really would consider buying one from you but I've already spent about $4000 on the system that I have now.

BLOWNZO6
12-12-2005, 04:09 PM
It is really ashamed the money that some are spending on some of this NAV and audio stuff. I was talking to the Pioneer guy at the SEMA show and he was telling me about how great their new AVIC unit was with a 10 Gig HD, the screen, etc. is just no where near the quality of the monitors that are available.

Granted this is not just a simple plug and play operation, there is some work involved in getting it going, but the potential of these system is leagues beyond your normal radio.

Boar-Ral
12-12-2005, 04:24 PM
I built and installed my first AutoPC in my second vehicle four years ago and when I bought my next vehicle, I decided to skip the AutoPC and purchase an aftermarket navigation system. (I purchase Pioneer's top-of-the-line at the time, and my original AutoPC is still in storage.) When I bought my H2, I decided to go even further and bypass all of that by purchasing the factory navigation system. Looking back at all three options, I can see that they all have their merits. In my current circumstance, I wouldn't build a new AutoPC for the navigation aspect, since the factory system is more than sufficient. But I still like the idea of having mobile internet, more A/V support, and something to keep passengers happy. Everything for a reason.

BLOWNZO6
02-13-2006, 11:54 PM
TTT http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I wanted to let everyone know that I sold my first one last week, just shipped it today. Thought since the holidays were over with I might generate some additional interest.

HummBob
02-14-2006, 07:00 AM
Congrats on the SALE http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Sure is a SWEET setup!