PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Body Spacer

Lil Devil
02-26-2003, 02:14 PM
Anybody try this yet? I had one on my Tahoe a few years ago and saw an improvement in throttle response and MPG. Noticed that poweraid carries one for the H2.

TIA

----
2002 Chevy Avalanche
2002 Chevy Corvette (585 RWHP)
2003 H2 Lux

Lil Devil
02-26-2003, 02:14 PM
Anybody try this yet? I had one on my Tahoe a few years ago and saw an improvement in throttle response and MPG. Noticed that poweraid carries one for the H2.

TIA

----
2002 Chevy Avalanche
2003 H2 Lux

Mango
02-27-2003, 12:19 AM
I don't think there is enough clearance between the air intake tubing and the radiator fan to allow for a spacer. I have the Breathless air filter system and there is barely enough clearance as it is. Anything moving the throttle body foreward would create a problem.

Mango -- Saltwater Flyfisherman, Photographer, Varmint Hunter -- Fort Worth, Tx

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Lil Devil
02-27-2003, 01:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mango:
I don't think there is enough clearance between the air intake tubing and the radiator fan to allow for a spacer. I have the Breathless air filter system and there is barely enough clearance as it is. Anything moving the throttle body foreward would create a problem.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would have to agree looking at how th amount of space we have to work with. But I wonder why they would sell and promote a spacer for the H2 if it doesn't fit. I know on my avalanche, if we installed any FIPK and a throttle body spacer, we had to notch out the fan shroud to make room.

----
2002 Chevy Avalanche
2003 H2 Lux

kdio
02-27-2003, 03:45 PM
I tried to buy the Poweraid spaces a couple of months ago, the store called Airaid and they said you can use the same Poweraid that fits the Suburban with the 6.0 engine, but would not guarantee that it would work. They have not officially made this for the H2.

UMIPerformance
03-23-2003, 03:28 PM
Hey Guys! Well I am new to this Hummer H2 site and there is a reason I signed up for it. We have a performance shop here in Pennsylavania and one of our Biggest sellers is the throttle Body spacer (same exact thing as Poweraid, just 1/2 the price) we make them for about any vehicle. Well I have them made here for the H2 and the kit ready to go but like everone has said above there doesnt seem to be enough clearance, this kit is the same kit for all the chevy motors 99 and up. Here in PA, ecspecailly center PA there is NO h2's. I was just wondering if anyone has put one of these on yet and if it had fit?? or it hit the fan? I called raceandstreet.com and they said they have installed these on dozens of H2's and they fit fine http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif but its hard to believe. We always test these on vehicles for fit before we sell them but like I said there is no H2's around here http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif I have sold these on Ebay going by what raceandstreet has said, that they fit but it has been bothering me hearing that maybe there isnt enough clearance http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif.Any help would be greatly apprecaited. I would even be willing to send one to someone if they wanted to try the fit for me. Thanks everone for the help!

xtremeh2007
03-23-2003, 11:37 PM
UMI

I live in central PA close to Harrisburg and I have a H2. If you would like me to try the fit I will. I just put a air intake on and am interested in the spacer. Please get in contact with me. ch203@paonline.com.

UMIPerformance
03-25-2003, 02:15 AM
Hey Xtreme! Thanks for the reply, you got mail!

Texas Red
03-26-2003, 08:14 PM
This is what the Forum is all about. Don't ya luv it??

Jim
Red H2

driftwood
03-26-2003, 10:39 PM
I purchased the throttle body spacer from SUVXccessories along with the SMA air filter. I installed the air filter and noticed a big difference. SMA claims 14 hp and it really did help. I then put on the throttle body spacer which took more than 30 min to do. I even called SMA as the clearance with the radiator fan blade looked too close. They claimed everything would fit. It did not clear the fan without me pushing the plastic intake housing further than intended. This really is not a problem and has worked fine for 12k miles.

To answer your question, I did not notice any difference. Claims of increased midrange torque and improved gas milage are not being noticed by me/. The theory behind the spacer and increased air intake are sound but for what it took to install without a noticable difference I am not sure I would do over. I plan to tow a trailer in the 5-7k lb range and maybe then the spacer will be helpful.

NVR STUCK
03-26-2003, 11:40 PM
driftwood,

Did you notice an improvement in gas mileage as well as power?

UMIPerformance
03-27-2003, 11:44 AM
Thanks for all the help guys! I finally found two ppl to istall these for me on there H2 and here are the results. The spacer fit fine on the one and everything went well but it was a very tight fit. He said it was almost touching the fan, but when he started it up the fan was tapping the air tube some. He played with it for awhile and said it couldnt get it to stop no matter what he did. Well we shaved 1/8'' of the spacer and it is working perfect. The other person, his fit fine and had to do nothing to it. So it seems its just such a tight fit that all it takes is a air tube to just be off from the factory a 1/8 of a inch and it messes everyhting up, lol. I am just going to take a little off the spacer, approx a 1/8" that way it should work for everone. Thanks again for all the help!

UMIPerformance
03-27-2003, 11:52 AM
As for performance and results from the spacer. I havent heard alot from H2 owners yet, but from other vehicles I have. This spacer is the exact spacer you bolt on to any newer chevy 4.8L,5.3L,6.0L and the 8.1L. We have installed quite a few on the silverados and have notice a good difference in some and others not. We took a 02 Silverado 5.3L and installed the spacer, all it had was a cat-back. Well ran it a few times in the 1/4 mile before the spacer and a few times after the spacer was installed. Believe it or not, it went 4mph faster in the 1/4 mile with the spacer! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Every sigle time too. So we were really impressed! As for gas mileage, the ppl that have noticed it are on long trips and some ppl have noticed a slight difference. I think for the price of $75.00 we sell these for it worth it to put it on and give it a shot.