PDA

View Full Version : H2 PC - NOW FOR SALE!!

BLOWNZO6
10-09-2005, 10:58 PM
I have decided to make my first rounds of these.

I have put up a thread in the for sale section.

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/4616043161/m/7921084341

Thought I would share what I have been working on over the past few months.

This is a stand alone PC, using the factory BOSE speakers and sound system. Has full mp3/cd capability, XM radio, Navigation, DVD, wireless network, etc. etc.

I would say it is about 90% right now. I have included some shots of the screen installed in place of the factory radio, this is a complete bolt in installation, no cutting the factory faceplate, etc. It is really a slick setup.

7" Touchscreen
http://www.usionline.net/PC/PC1.jpg

http://www.usionline.net/PC/PC2.jpg

http://www.usionline.net/PC/PC3.jpg

Here are a few pics of the frontends I have been working on as well.

http://www.usionline.net/PC/GAGE.jpg

http://www.usionline.net/PC/BLUE.jpg

Enjoy for now...

BLOWNZO6
10-09-2005, 10:58 PM
I have decided to make my first rounds of these.

I have put up a thread in the for sale section.

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/4616043161/m/7921084341

Thought I would share what I have been working on over the past few months.

This is a stand alone PC, using the factory BOSE speakers and sound system. Has full mp3/cd capability, XM radio, Navigation, DVD, wireless network, etc. etc.

I would say it is about 90% right now. I have included some shots of the screen installed in place of the factory radio, this is a complete bolt in installation, no cutting the factory faceplate, etc. It is really a slick setup.

7" Touchscreen
http://www.usionline.net/PC/PC1.jpg

http://www.usionline.net/PC/PC2.jpg

http://www.usionline.net/PC/PC3.jpg

Here are a few pics of the frontends I have been working on as well.

http://www.usionline.net/PC/GAGE.jpg

http://www.usionline.net/PC/BLUE.jpg

Enjoy for now...

NJ H2
10-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Real nice!!
Got any pictures of when your on the internet?

VTSTOMPER
10-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Holy drool baby! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I would love to have one of those in my truck!

VTSTOMPER
10-10-2005, 12:09 AM
don't forget the forum discount for us. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Also - where does the disc go?

HGW
10-10-2005, 12:26 AM
Very Slick. I am looking for a set up like yours.

4churchill
10-10-2005, 12:26 AM
looks clean....can't wait to see more of it in action....does it have basic computer functions too? wireless keyboard? mouse??

rodster
10-10-2005, 12:42 AM
DeLorme maps and Firefox in a Hummer . . . very sweet. Great workmanship.

802.11x, GSM/GPRS or something else for the web?

rodster
10-10-2005, 12:44 AM
Where's the CPU?

alldunn
10-10-2005, 12:53 AM
f(_)ck yea that is hella cool....I would love to have a little more info on this. Parts used, etc., etc.

BLOWNZO6
10-10-2005, 01:07 AM
I will try to answer all of the questions.. I am glad to see this is being received as well as I thought it would be.

1. Internet Picture: Using Firefox embedded into the front end.
http://www.usionline.net/PC/WEB.jpg

2. Intention to package and sell them?
** Yes the intention is to package and sell these. It is pretty straight forward to install and hook up. If you can hook up a home computer, you can hook this up. The issue is still the software and how well everything meshes together. There is some configuration that the end user has to do. I am working as much of this out of the package as possible.

3. Where does the disc go?
** The PC and XM unit are mounted under the back seat on the drivers side. A drive can pretty much be put anywhere you could possible fit one. This is something that will be worked out as well. Right now you just put it in the DVD drive in the PC. BTW the seat is FULLY FUCTIONAL. I have my up and down all of the time, this was a MAJOR design concern of the system. I have attached a picture of it installed here.
http://www.usionline.net/PC/PC.jpg

4. Are basic computer functions still active? Wireless keyboard or mouse?
** This is a fully functioning PC, while I have it setup so that the front end boots directly, you can launch explorer or ANY program from the launch part of the frontend. You can use any USB keyboard, wireless, remote, etc. I have a mouse in the car that I used for setup, etc. With the touchscreen you can use the on screen keyboard to type in URL's, etc.

5. Wireless connection?
** Right now I have just have an 802.11g USB dongle on the computer, but again.. ANY type of wireless you could use on a laptop, etc. you can use on this as it is a fully functioning PC.

I don't have any pricing, when they will be available, etc. but am working with a forum member and vendor to bring these to you guys. No price is determined yet, but this project started to have something SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than what is currently available on the market.

There is one significant drawback.. right now there is no good FM solution. I have about 6,500 mp3's on it right now and with XM as well it has not been a problem for me.

I forgot to mention, the Onstar is still fully functional with this as well.

BLOWNZO6
10-10-2005, 01:42 AM
I will not be that cheap, but the quality of the video is beyond that of the AVIC-D1 with respect to resolution, brightness, etc.

This is not just limited to what they have built into that unit, this is a full functioning PC... the retail on that unit you have is about $1,800. I would expect this to be somewhere in that range. This is with me making them, selling them to a reseller and then him selling them to you. Right now the available systems on the market are in the $2,500 range. The goal is to make enough to make it worth my while, but also sell a good product. The screens I am using are currently I believe the best and brightest available.

Hope that helps.

rodster
10-10-2005, 02:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BLOWNZO6:
The issue is still the software and how well everything meshes together. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMO, that's the real value here. Building a carputer is easy and cheap enough but getting it to intergrate with existing onboard systems? That's a fine bit of engineering.

BLOWNZO6
10-10-2005, 02:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BLOWNZO6:
The issue is still the software and how well everything meshes together. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMO, that's the real value here. Building a carputer is easy and cheap enough but getting it to intergrate with existing onboard systems? That's a fine bit of engineering. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is already to the point where someone that knows computers decently could use it without issue, if I was not intending to market this at all and just was going to post a list of things I bought to put it together, it would be good enough. But I want to make sure that was people are getting is worth it.

I have also bought some gadgets today that will run things, really anything external to the computer.. I bought a 4 relay system to start with, not sure what I am going to run, but the possibilities are endless.

You are right, the integration of it all is where the value is.

The DVD player is not quite where I want it either. It is cool though to watch a movie in surround in the truck.

I have chosen components that are easy to buy and high quality. This helps us all with respect to cost. I really don't expect to get rich from this at all, I have really enjoyed the project.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
10-10-2005, 02:48 AM
Blown, You and I should have been talking. Blown We are trying a FM that I may be able to help You with once We run it and try it out. We also have a AM/FM but, We have to see how much buzz We get from electronics on the AM dial. I have been focusing on the HUD with You and did not think about the carputer. I did not realize You were working on one to market. I will have mine finished in a few weeks with a 12" touchscreen in the dash which i do not recommend for the regular owner. I have moved My onstar to review mirror and AC to the bottom with an equalizer under it. The traction controls are on each side of the AC control, We think. Not a setup I would recommend for the average guy but, for a techie it is great toy to install. Will be able to burn Cd's and put in DVD or Cd without moving to reach the drive. It will be closer than the shifter not installed in the PC but remote. We will have it so the owner can make changes to keep drive remote with just a screwdriver and no not the drink DRTY, although after You work on installing some of this stuff You feel like it sometimes. We CNC'd a bezel to go around the slot that says HUMMER across the top and on one side lower H2. Blown has gone the way for self install with a 7" touch screen but, We are going to do a 10" touch screen with center dash premade with a all brackets for You to move exsisting equip. to and no wire lenghtening etc. If You have not bought the center dash itself it is quite expensive and then the time to convert it to 10". You will trade out the center dash console for core in exchange for the one We send You. if it is and older model H2 We have the ability to get you the argent color to match your dash after We cut and have to recolor center peice. We had the 7" in line already knowing We just had to have computer and 7" is a much easier install but, the 10" is WOW not counting the 12". A 12" will cost allot. The screen is near $900. You will not have a head unit in dash with 10" just like the 7" will not. The Pc will have everything in it for DVD,CD, MP3, etc. really anything You want including wireless internet or PCMCIA slot for card to run a cingular connect card if You want to dial up on cell. it will come satelite TV ready so You have to get subscription and ant. which We will be able to sell those also. It will have touch screen control and a screen keyboard on 7" or 10" as well as wireless keyboard and mouse and We will have verbal command that is note voice trained not to far down the line. It recognizes letter sounds and You can have anyone give it commands. Have a guy from Ratheon working on that and it is already working in cell phones like the Motorola V710 with bluetooth. You will not get one for $1000. 10" touchscreen cost close to $700 and computer we'll this is for people who really are into the geek stuff like Me and do not mind spending the money. I have dealership with all the suppliers for the equip. to make any PC format You want and it just will be high dollar. We are looking into Macintosh also down the road. Blown I wish We had mentioned To each other this. I will have mine on website and also a 4 12" sub with overhead 2 amp rack in rear of H2 that a full rear bench will fit between. The 4 12" subs fit in a replacement wheel well housing for the factory so You can bolt it in and send us the core wheel well housing back for credit. I will have Infinity subs and amps with a 12" flip down screen made into the amp rack between the amps. If You want different subs and amps We can do it b ut the enclosures will have to be specails made as none of the cmpanies deminsions are very close to each other on purpose. that is why you see most enclosures hand made to the sub. It is placed where 3rd row have a screen to watch as well as headrest for middle and in my rig the 12" for front. Man this is a bummer I would liked to have worked with you in this. My DVD/CDRW burner will be mounted in the lid of the center console in a slot format that will eject and receive just like the factory. This way You can copy all the music and movies You want to a 60 gig hard drive or bigger with a big processor. We will have XM and Onstar working through it all as well as phone along with GPs and NAV. Man this is just a bummer. We both are doing some things that would have made it easier for Us both. Well if nothing else I want to look at Yours and I'll market it at shows if You can get the 7" down in price versus mine. Mine will be more on the 10" and 12" but, Yours sounds like it will cover most needs and sound like a good idea and can be priced good. Guys if He can get this to You for $1500 to $2000 You will be lucky and need to get it if that, if it is what You need. That number will not even cover the subs the amps the encosures and 12' flipdown. Not close. Then depending on what PC You want. We will have an alacarte menu on the website to pick what you want as some may not want the NAV or what evedr and the price will be their and You can build to Your expensice account allows. If You want this monster I have a computer genius working for Me that We designed for people to buy that want to say in their world no one has anything like this. We are using dual GPS sources to get all the info We want to collect at one time. I know Blown does quality work do not be afraid to get His setup at all. I would look closer to $2000. If I sold My complete setup with sub and enclosures and amps with the 12", PC Man I cannot even think yet what it will be. We are going to adapt the subs to one on each side if that is what You want with one amp. Blown I need to talk to You about the sub enclosures which is what Dragon and I said last week that We need You in this for the skill You are an engineer at. I'll give You a call when will be a good time? Hope it goes really good. My design is intially for show and then We are down sizing it for retail from the shop or website. Mostly to use in the conversion We do.
Blown let Me know if I can help You. It would have been great to do this along with the HUD with You. H2 should be out of paint after this week I hope and I will have test for You on HUD. We had Our first annual show and shine this past weekend and slowed allot down. But, We are basicly stripping all the clear and painting ghost flames and going back with 3 to 5 coats of clear on the whole rig. I have hood down with HUMMERcustoms in the center of the hood in ghost color so that it is hard to see until You tilt hood about 45 degrees for show to show the engine bling and then they see it well. The flames will be hard to see until you get about 15 to 20 feet from the rig.
Blown let me know when will be a good time to call you.
Guys I just have to hope Your prepared to understand the work Blown is putting into this and the cost is big. Call West Coast or Unique and ask them for a computer as described by Blown and see what you get quoted.

Blown if You get it where You can beat My 7" job I will market Yours instead of building one myself abd put Yours on Our website and and take it to all the shows i go to. So you will not hurt for buyers You will have to find time to build them so it is worth Your time just like You said.
TAZ

rodster
10-10-2005, 03:00 AM
It is already to the point where someone that knows computers decently could use it without issue, if I was not intending to market this at all and just was going to post a list of things I bought to put it together, it would be good enough. But I want to make sure that was people are getting is worth it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well you know, if you need a geek-in-a-Hummer beta tester...

I agree with your focus on making the system accessible to the (my words) non-geek consumer. Most folks just want to turn it on and go, I imagine.

Thinking out loud here: What happens if the user has a drive failure? Does the front end and existing component integration reside in firmware? Will you ship a customized version of Windows so catastrophic failures are fixable and hardware upgrades are possible? No response requested unless you feel like it.

Surround sound in a truck? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

If you can get this in front of the dealer network I bet you'll sell loads of product.

And who's to say the H2 is your only market? There are many other barely useful NAV/radio systems in the world today. The world is ready for an easy-to-own carputer.

BLOWNZO6
10-10-2005, 03:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ:
Blown, You and I should have been talking. Blown We are trying a FM that I may be able to help You with once We run it and try it out. We also have a AM/FM but, We have to see how much buzz We get from electronics on the AM dial. I have been focusing on the HUD with You and did not think about the carputer. I did not realize You were working on one to market. I will have mine finished in a few weeks with a 12" touchscreen in the dash which i do not recommend for the regular owner. I have moved My onstar to review mirror and AC to the bottom with an equalizer under it. The traction controls are on each side of the AC control, We think. Not a setup I would recommend for the average guy but, for a techie it is great toy to install. Will be able to burn Cd's and put in DVD or Cd without moving to reach the drive. It will be closer than the shifter not installed in the PC but remote. We will have it so the owner can make changes to keep drive remote with just a screwdriver and no not the drink DRTY, although after You work on installing some of this stuff You feel like it sometimes. We CNC'd a bezel to go around the slot that says HUMMER across the top and on one side lower H2. Blown has gone the way for self install with a 7" touch screen but, We are going to do a 10" touch screen with center dash premade with a all brackets for You to move exsisting equip. to and no wire lenghtening etc. If You have not bought the center dash itself it is quite expensive and then the time to convert it to 10". You will trade out the center dash console for core in exchange for the one We send You. if it is and older model H2 We have the ability to get you the argent color to match your dash after We cut and have to recolor center peice. We had the 7" in line already knowing We just had to have computer and 7" is a much easier install but, the 10" is WOW not counting the 12". A 12" will cost allot. The screen is near $900. You will not have a head unit in dash with 10" just like the 7" will not. The Pc will have everything in it for DVD,CD, MP3, etc. really anything You want including wireless internet or PCMCIA slot for card to run a cingular connect card if You want to dial up on cell. it will come satelite TV ready so You have to get subscription and ant. which We will be able to sell those also. It will have touch screen control and a screen keyboard on 7" or 10" as well as wireless keyboard and mouse and We will have verbal command that is note voice trained not to far down the line. It recognizes letter sounds and You can have anyone give it commands. Have a guy from Ratheon working on that and it is already working in cell phones like the Motorola V710 with bluetooth. You will not get one for $1000. 10" touchscreen cost close to $700 and computer we'll this is for people who really are into the geek stuff like Me and do not mind spending the money. I have dealership with all the suppliers for the equip. to make any PC format You want and it just will be high dollar. We are looking into Macintosh also down the road. Blown I wish We had mentioned To each other this. I will have mine on website and also a 4 12" sub with overhead 2 amp rack in rear of H2 that a full rear bench will fit between. The 4 12" subs fit in a replacement wheel well housing for the factory so You can bolt it in and send us the core wheel well housing back for credit. I will have Infinity subs and amps with a 12" flip down screen made into the amp rack between the amps. If You want different subs and amps We can do it b ut the enclosures will have to be specails made as none of the cmpanies deminsions are very close to each other on purpose. that is why you see most enclosures hand made to the sub. It is placed where 3rd row have a screen to watch as well as headrest for middle and in my rig the 12" for front. Man this is a bummer I would liked to have worked with you in this. My DVD/CDRW burner will be mounted in the lid of the center console in a slot format that will eject and receive just like the factory. This way You can copy all the music and movies You want to a 60 gig hard drive or bigger with a big processor. We will have XM and Onstar working through it all as well as phone along with GPs and NAV. Man this is just a bummer. We both are doing some things that would have made it easier for Us both. Well if nothing else I want to look at Yours and I'll market it at shows if You can get the 7" down in price versus mine. Mine will be more on the 10" and 12" but, Yours sounds like it will cover most needs and sound like a good idea and can be priced good. Guys if He can get this to You for $1500 to $2000 You will be lucky and need to get it if that, if it is what You need. That number will not even cover the subs the amps the encosures and 12' flipdown. Not close. Then depending on what PC You want. We will have an alacarte menu on the website to pick what you want as some may not want the NAV or what evedr and the price will be their and You can build to Your expensice account allows. If You want this monster I have a computer genius working for Me that We designed for people to buy that want to say in their world no one has anything like this. We are using dual GPS sources to get all the info We want to collect at one time. I know Blown does quality work do not be afraid to get His setup at all. I would look closer to $2000. If I sold My complete setup with sub and enclosures and amps with the 12", PC Man I cannot even think yet what it will be. We are going to adapt the subs to one on each side if that is what You want with one amp. Blown I need to talk to You about the sub enclosures which is what Dragon and I said last week that We need You in this for the skill You are an engineer at. I'll give You a call when will be a good time? Hope it goes really good. My design is intially for show and then We are down sizing it for retail from the shop or website. Mostly to use in the conversion We do.
Blown let Me know if I can help You. It would have been great to do this along with the HUD with You. H2 should be out of paint after this week I hope and I will have test for You on HUD. We had Our first annual show and shine this past weekend and slowed allot down. But, We are basicly stripping all the clear and painting ghost flames and going back with 3 to 5 coats of clear on the whole rig. I have hood down with HUMMERcustoms in the center of the hood in ghost color so that it is hard to see until You tilt hood about 45 degrees for show to show the engine bling and then they see it well. The flames will be hard to see until you get about 15 to 20 feet from the rig.
Guys I just have to hope Your prepared to understand the work Blown is putting into this and the cost is big. Call West Coast or Unique and ask them for a computer as described by Blown and see what you get quoted.

Blown if You get it where You can beat My 7" job I will market Yours instead of building one myself abd put Yours on Our website and and take it to all the shows i go to. So you will not hurt for buyers You will have to find time to build them so it is worth Your time just like You said.
TAZ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHOOOOAH RICK... LOL

I was just posting up some pictures to gage interest.. NO intent of stepping on your toes. We have discussed this many times and I am still on the same page as you.. as I said, just postin up some pictures and kind of at the feedback stage, seeing what people think.

There were a few goals of mine that are very differnent from yours.
1. As little modification as possible
2. Use the stock amps, bose speakers, etc.
3. Find a good system for a basic install, not a full blown custom install like you have, with amps subs, etc.

BLOWNZO6
10-10-2005, 03:10 AM
It is just using XP and the front end is open source code. If you have a drive failure it would be just like your computer at your house failing. You would just format it and reinstall the software. I am sure there are some sort of "drive picture" applications our there I could configure the programs, etc. and the just have recovery disks, etc.

Also.. can you guess what the next target is for me? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://www.usionline.net/PC/VETTE.jpg

I also have a torch red 2002 ZO6.

rodster
10-10-2005, 03:21 AM
Also.. can you guess what the next target is for me? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And skinned to match, too, I see. Very nice.

When it comes to carputers, my money is on the retail market. The custom, high-end jobs will always be there, of course, but there are potentially millions of consumers on the plug-n-play side of the market. The question is, can you position yourself soon enough and strongly enough to be the go-to guy?

Recovery disks seems plausible and should be easy enough to produce. Good call on that.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
10-10-2005, 03:25 AM
Like Blown this is something We are putting thought into and it will be like the rest of the computer world not sure. You get a puter with one year warranty and if outside You go to a computer repair to fix it. I think once You installed this You would be on your way to understand some repair and go back to Blown or Me for repair parts.
If in warranty then unit will have to be returned overnight and repaired and overnighted back to keep customer down time limited. that is why these things are not going to be cheap. Most of wat i build will be to those more inclined to the geek side. Blown is trying it appears to make it as fool proof as possible. I see it working basicly as the rest of the computer support world works except that in a few men operation it will be pressing to turn repairs around as fast say as Dell. So with you being a geekie type like me you can already see the potential problems. What is part failure and what is a kid poured a coke over the top of the PC? If they are not smart enough to take it apart and clean it then it is easy to see what happened. Problems ahead for sure!

TAZ

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
10-10-2005, 03:35 AM
My purpose was for custom and that will remain My focus. It is a diffeent crowd. Let the big guys have the headaches with all the MOMs that do not know what is going on with it. I'm developing for custom installs and one reason I will market at shows so that I immediately develope a connection with the buyer so he has a face so that when He calls for help He knows who it is. I will encourage sending it to us for install. they will be setup so that the 10" will have everything needed for someone with some ability to install. We will have 3 or 4 skins on Our system so just like a screen saver they can go to apperance and change it to match the color of their ride. We will have an EIM interfacxe that you can have 6 H2 functions you can assign for it to handle by PC. It will b oot up at start up og rig with win XP Pro and then any other programs You have in the startup menu. I will have My tuning software startup the first thing after OS has booted up and it will boot ointo scan so that i can be tweaking My tune all the time. I think Blown has His tuning software on His PC also if i noticed right. The PC will have a start up and shut management relay that controls and prevents surge. Then the EIM module will run 6 what ever rig specific items You want PC to operate, watch or what ever.
It is not going to be a walk in the park.

TAZ

rodster
10-10-2005, 03:41 AM
Good points one and all, Taz.

If you're selling through the dealer network, they'll provide front line service -- swap boxes and return them to the manufacturer for repair. At least that would take the pressure off for the fast turnaround, shipping, etc.

I also imagine the warranty would cover failure due to wear and tear for, say, a year. All other user-induced problems (Jr. spill the Coke) are at the consumers' expense.

The good news is, a carputer isn't likely to get bogged down with all the stuff we do to our desktop computers. So long as the hard drive holds up I imagine the warrantly claims would be no greater than and other OEM onboard system.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
10-10-2005, 03:48 AM
Blown cool! I hope you can handle the more common type build and We work together on this since We both went that direction. My direction is different that yours so I can see Us working together in 2 different arenas. I can see My complete install with everything at $5000 and that could be low not sure yet. But, there is the easy install with a restore disc like We were going to include to get it up and running and hoping they have been backing up like they should. I'm recommending eveyone get a USB drive egqul to the size of the PC drive and use Ghost or what ever backup they want. It will be a learning process I guess that they will have to understand that they are running acomputer on steroids b ut, You still can get virus's or whatever if You do not do the same things to protect Yourself as at home.
Well I would like to look at using Your 7" project after Your done and maybe dropping My 7" and it leaves Me more time to spend on building the 10" and 12" stuff and then add the subs and amps if they want to a complete kit.
It will work out. Cool that You went with the 7".

TAZ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ:

TAZ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHOOOOAH RICK... LOL

I was just posting up some pictures to gage interest.. NO intent of stepping on your toes. We have discussed this many times and I am still on the same page as you.. as I said, just postin up some pictures and kind of at the feedback stage, seeing what people think.

There were a few goals of mine that are very differnent from yours.
1. As little modification as possible
2. Use the stock amps, bose speakers, etc.
3. Find a good system for a basic install, not a full blown custom install like you have, with amps subs, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rodster
10-10-2005, 04:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ:I'm recommending eveyone get a USB drive egqul to the size of the PC drive... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you talking about a USB flash drive or hard drive?

Now here's a challenge: Eliminate the hard drive and put the OS and user-installed programs on a flash drive. User can pop it out, plug it in at home and install MP3s, maps, etc.

Not sure how much space that would require or if there are flash drives that big, but it's nice to dream.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
10-10-2005, 04:18 AM
I use a USB external hard drive myself for backup. They are making flash drives bigger for backup.
But, Wed have been thinking about USB flash drive with the OS on it at least maybe to help with theft but, do nt think it would protect much. We actually discussed the flash drive instead of an enternal harddrive at first but, using a laptop drive right now.
We are looking at the external harddrive more seriuosly in place of the internal just for the sercurity reasons in case of theft. You can tak it out just unplug the USB cable from board and then you can still sync it with home pc and download. We just set around and brainstorm and there is no end to what could be done or the versatility of the unit make up.

TAZ

rodster
10-10-2005, 04:34 AM
USB connect hard drive might just be a good middle ground.

I Googled "largest flash drive" and found an outfit called Pretec that says they have an 8GB model. Wow.

rodster
10-10-2005, 04:56 AM
On second thought, I'm not sure a flash drive could dish up the info fast enough to take the place of a hard drive...

BLOWNZO6
10-10-2005, 09:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:
On second thought, I'm not sure a flash drive could dish up the info fast enough to take the place of a hard drive... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not only is this possible, it is already being done. There are more than a few running the OS on flash or CF memory.. something solid state. They are doing for durability, but I have to be honest with you.. I see no reason for it because of the the cost. I have a normal size desktop hard drive in mine right now. Really there is just the music on the computer and a few basic things. I just have these backed up on a hard drive on my home computer.

The one thing you are missing is that these PC's have power supply that is design to work with a car. So every time you get in the car you don't have to have the PC boot. You can set the amount of time that it takes for standby and shutdown. For a daily driver it is realistic to leave the PC on in standby, etc. all the time. If by chance the voltage in the car got below 11V the power supply would automatically shut itself down. There is enough power there to power other 12V and 5V things from the rails. I power my GPS sensor from the rail since it is already back there.

The possibilities are really endless.

HummerNewbie
10-13-2005, 02:09 PM
I have to say, I have a chub after reading all this http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I have looked into carputers here and there for a couple of years and would be extremely interested in your systems guys, especially if you can get them in the sub $2k range. I agree with rodster that the market is endless and if you can provide the wiring diagram to hookup to different vehicles it would sell like crazy. If you go and buy a decent aftermarket Nav system you are going to spend a minimum of a grand anyway. Does anyone know if the 7" system would fit in an H3? Can you make it work with the Monsoon system? I love the idea of the system going into standby mode so you don't have to go through startup every time. I don't know about the H2 but doesn't the H3 have a system build into the electronics to shut down power to accessories when the voltage gets to a certain point? With WiFi you could add a booster antenna couldn't you so you could pick up more connections?

If either of you are interested, I can talk to a local shop that I deal with that does higher end work and see if they are interested in selling/installing the systems.

If you don't sell the whole system you could probably do fairly well selling the front-end software and skins for the system as well as recommended software or provide sources for these for the DIY folks that can build the system themselves. Wouldn't be the same sales figures but the warranty issues would pretty much go away and you could provide email support for the front-end. I am sure that I will have many more questions if you guys don't mind http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

RiverRacerX
10-13-2005, 07:29 PM
I know a guy building a Mac Mini into his VW. It is bluetooth and he uses his cell phone as the remote to control iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD,wireless internet and anything else you can run on a mac.

The Mac Mini will be installed in the glove box area so you can see the glowing Apple icon. He has a wireless mouse and keyboard if he needs them as well. Plus a firewire hard drive runs off of BUS power so he can take files in and out of the car easily.

Looks like a cool setup. I think it is just missing navigation.

HummerNewbie
10-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Does anyone know what the power consumption is for a PC in standby mode? I know that we design capacitors into a number of our boards so they do not loose memory if power is lost. These are generally very small for our applications but could work here. If anyone knows the consumption I can ask one of my engineers if a large cap or series of them could sustain the PC for a period of time. Probably not worth it but depending on the current draw, might be a good solution to save the vehicle battery.

H2_SUT_SC
10-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Blown - that set up is awesome! It'll be nice to see a set up like that come in a decent price range. I'm sure you could move a lot.

Question - would there be any issue with the hard drive with extreme heat or cold? I know where I live in the summer it can get to 100 degrees which would equal about 130 in a car sitting in the sun for a few hours. Then the flip side I'm sure those on the East Coast and the mountains have their car interiors get to freezing levels during the winter. Hard drives are definitely the most sensitive component in that arrangement. What do you think?

H2_SUT_SC
10-14-2005, 04:01 PM

Call West Coast or Unique and ask them for a computer as described by Blown and see what you get quoted.
TAZ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I kind of doubt Unique could even do that. Have you seen Unique Whips on the Speed Channel? All I've got to say is I'm seriously not impressed with the work they do. All of their sub boxes are completely generic. And that marble type stuff they spray on consoles is so 90's. I'd be pissed if they did that to my truck. I've yet to see them do any advanced stuff on that show.

Now WCC on the other hand has basically proved they can put a kitchen sink in your car, literally. They've proved they can do anything and everything thing when it comes to cars. Although I think most of their stuff they do for PMR is kinda gay they do show they can do a ton.

WCC has been putting those computers in H2's since 03.

BLOWNZO6
10-14-2005, 04:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2_SUT_SC:
Blown - that set up is awesome! It'll be nice to see a set up like that come in a decent price range. I'm sure you could move a lot.

Question - would there be any issue with the hard drive with extreme heat or cold? I know where I live in the summer it can get to 100 degrees which would equal about 130 in a car sitting in the sun for a few hours. Then the flip side I'm sure those on the East Coast and the mountains have their car interiors get to freezing levels during the winter. Hard drives are definitely the most sensitive component in that arrangement. What do you think? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the compliment and I am VERY close to asking for a list of names and putting up a price for some Beta testers. There are a few more minor things I want to work out with some vendors, etc.

As for the harddrive.. this was one of my initial concerns. The manufacturer of the drives I am going to use has the following:
Operational:
41 to 140F
Non-operational:
-40 to 149F

Temperature should not be an issue.

BLOWNZO6
10-14-2005, 05:49 PM
Guys I am very close on this.. the more I think about it I really see the interest, which has me really pumped.

I would like to start a list of those interested. Of course pricing is the issue, I will come up with a price and expected deliver, etc. and send that out next week. Along with that there will be a full list of what the system will include, etc.

Look for it next week.

Nick

HummerNewbie
10-14-2005, 06:24 PM
I would definitely be interested. If you could include me on your list and if there is anything that I can help you with, just let me know and I will do what I can. This is something I have been thinking about for a few years now just haven't done it.

H2_SUT_SC
10-14-2005, 09:21 PM
Yeah count me in regardless of price. Also check your PM's.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
10-15-2005, 05:40 AM
Racer WE thought about Bluetooth but, the engineer and My vendors for all the varous parts agreed that bluetooth securty is suspect at best. We are for the time being staying away from it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RiverRacerX:
I know a guy building a Mac Mini into his VW. It is bluetooth and he uses his cell phone as the remote to control iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD,wireless internet and anything else you can run on a mac.

The Mac Mini will be installed in the glove box area so you can see the glowing Apple icon. He has a wireless mouse and keyboard if he needs them as well. Plus a firewire hard drive runs off of BUS power so he can take files in and out of the car easily.

Looks like a cool setup. I think it is just missing navigation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
10-15-2005, 06:14 AM
You are correct in that Unique buys allot of premade stuff. There is nothing wrong with that but, if You have to rework it a little to get it to fit why not make it from scratch.
WE have a whole AC cold and filtered room with all our saws and routers etc. Every tool needed. We are getting ready to look into some CNC equip. as Our shop manager is certified. We are adding a dyno etc. You are right they do not do as much as You would think by hand.
The guy working with Us out of Raytheon does CNC right now. Our computer will fit in a box a little smaller than cigar box. We CNC the box and can leave polished or whatever. WE went with the idea of as small as possible with laptop parts since they are designed to withstand the tougher life of running around in the car and off roading. For the off roader We will make it with a minifan and a filter in the air intake.
WCC they are custmizers top notch.

WE will have MY 12" running by next weekend. But, We are not going to sell any until We have some out for a while in Our shop rides and a few other people helping. Once We have several units of each style running and no problems then they go on website and shows for sale.
Those of You in Vegas I should have My H2 there and Youcan see Our sub and overhead amp rack. Another group looked at it and said man that amp rack the way it is made is a several thousand dollar. The sub and rack setup is going to run around $5500 give or take with amps and 4 subs included. With the type of kit We are designing We would really hope customers would see the benefit of bringing the rig to us and letting us install. I would hate to see somebody blow up 6K because they are not quite sure about the wiring all though We will have detailed insrtuctions. We are gong to just let it find it's own path. With us being right in the middle of the USA it is not bad like coast to coast. That is one reason We have connections that some spord stars are going to come and give us a shot We hope so that they do not have to truck a rig 2 or 3 thousand miles. But if You have a brand You like We can alter them to fit what You want and the same with amps.
We have been putting Our heads together about what a setup complete with computer would cost and allot of it would be what You chose to have in PC but, it could be as high as $10,000 but, no crap equip. If We can not use the top end We do not want the job. there are to many of those guys running around right now. We will be having the opporunity farther down the road to have a shop in Miami in 2006 or 2007.

Well keep in touch and Blown is quality. he will do it right. That is why I mentioned I would not mind dropping My 7" line and selling hisas a dealer for Him. That would givve us more time on the 10" which i think is going to be real popular. When You see MY 12" 10" is going to bust open and the nice things about it is 10" requires almost no MODS to center dash and WE would ship that with screen in it with computer and directions as to how You need to move a few things.
HummerNewbie I would not mind at all if You would get Me in touch with the shop that has the skill to install. If We have a 2nd place in Miaimi it would work great to work with them now and later from Miami.
Thanks

TAZ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2_SUT_SC:

Call West Coast or Unique and ask them for a computer as described by Blown and see what you get quoted.
TAZ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I kind of doubt Unique could even do that. Have you seen Unique Whips on the Speed Channel? All I've got to say is I'm seriously not impressed with the work they do. All of their sub boxes are completely generic. And that marble type stuff they spray on consoles is so 90's. I'd be pissed if they did that to my truck. I've yet to see them do any advanced stuff on that show.

Now WCC on the other hand has basically proved they can put a kitchen sink in your car, literally. They've proved they can do anything and everything thing when it comes to cars. Although I think most of their stuff they do for PMR is kinda gay they do show they can do a ton.

WCC has been putting those computers in H2's since 03. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BLOWNZO6
10-15-2005, 12:05 PM
I am dying to see this in your truck at SEMA.

Do you know what booth space you are in? We are coming in on Tuesday, I want to catch up with you early in the week.

Nick

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
10-15-2005, 02:15 PM
Nick
I got 5 companies trying to get space. The booths get all bought up like 8 months in advance. They need to trade up in size. They have preety much given up now as they have people who want more and trying to buy their booth space they got.
Have several people keeping ear open for someone in need also. If anyone knows of a company let Me know. It would be an honor to have her in the show but, I have 2 mags and a website wanting to do full story and Pics on it. I was told that many times rigs do not make it and to have some bling in their booth the companies will if nothing else cover expenses to Vegas. I really do not care for that, i would do it for free for the privaledge.
All My sponsors want it there so they can show people. So I have to have it there even if not in a booth. So We are trailering it in.
Working on a sponsored trailer from a manufactuer or from a company that We are talking to about building maybe 2 H2's for. One for their NASCAR driver to drive and another for them to use at store openings or other promotions. The one for the store, man it will be so high dollar it will be unreal. They want more electronics in it than I have thought We could think of but, We are. They are considering sponsoring a fully covered 2 rig hauler with there logo's all over it etc. I'm friends with the Pres. & CEO. When He found out what I was doing He started asking about it all and has Me preparing a proposal to the board of which His dad is chairman. They are the major stock holders so it is more of a formality but, it keeps things clean for all stock holders.

I was really not to concerned about being in the show only because if it goes in a booth I have to stay with it the whole time. My ins. requirements since My company insures it for the purchase cost plus added value. So it would be an honor but, I'm not thrilled about being in a booth for 12 hours a day for 5 days. If it makes My sponsors happy that I'm just there with it so they can show it privately I think I would be happier as i would get to do some things and look around. We are picking up some vendors while We are there.

We will have Our own booth next year. We should have about 4 products We have buult and working on patent.
But, You and I must get together and discuss some business stuff. We have a few more products We need You engineering in to help Us come up with an easier way to make the product. Drew Our head guy is the one I need You to meet and discuss some of the things We are doing since He is the one making them after He came up with ideas and over half He has come up with.
I will email You My cell number or have I done that already? We are coming in on Tuesday also We hope. We are trailering straight there not stops.

TAZ

captainmike
10-15-2005, 02:40 PM
Has anybody looked at using a pocket pc type device instead of a full blown computer? A Win mobile 2005 can do everything the full computer can do including built in WIFI g and Bluetooth. My Ipaq even has GPRS/GSM phone capabilities. I use it today for GPS, ,web, sms, mms,DVD or TV programs and MP3's.
I like the security that i can take the brains out of the system and possible take it with me to other cars. I would like the larger video touch screen. Anyhow the size and power are so small its not an issue.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
10-16-2005, 01:22 AM
I think a small pocket PC could work if they can drive the screens. Plus You have to keep in Mind that i will be running 4 to 6 screens at once so You have to look at the graphics card power. Our PC is very small. We could illiminate a few things and get it down to half the size of a cigar box but, there are so many places to put the computer getting it smaller and smaller is not really important as the smaller the parts the higher the cost.

TAZ

Dick Renaud
10-16-2005, 03:18 AM
Taz,
For some more ideas you may want to look at the Panasonic Toughbook. They use a gel pack mounted hard drive. The ruggedized units we used in police cars have a nearly unbreakable screen and super rugged case. The laptop could be dropped on concrete from 6 or 8’ feet while running and not have a problem. You might be able to use some of the components.
http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughbook/home.asp

Hitachi makes a 6 and 8 GB micro drive if you want removable media that can work into a usb reader to transfer data. They are working on 10, 12 and 14 GB versions.
http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/?epi_menuItemI...6934ab937c27aac4f0a0 (http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/?epi_menuItemID=92382478a130ca1492480021aac4f0a0&amp;e pi_menuID=88209297e0b10f8056fb11f0aac4f0a0&amp;epi_bas eMenuID=3d0cb215112b6934ab937c27aac4f0a0)
I use an 8GB in my iPAQ and it works great.
This is were I bought my microdrive.
http://www.mobileplanet.com/us/product.asp?code=121717

Keep me posted on both your systems. I was going to start looking for a vehicle mounted computer to integrate with my Ham radio to handle packet transmissions. I use a Panasonic Toughbook for my portable radio system. The iPAQ would work but the screen is so small. The Toughbook has a great daylight screen with touchscreen built in and it is tough.

Keep me on the list. Price is not important, I need quality.

hognose
10-16-2005, 06:51 PM
Blown,
I am very interested, let me know your price when you are ready. How limiting is the PC case for motherboard form factor? I may wan't to mod the box with one of the new dual core processor and the requisite motherboard.

Thanks!

Chris

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
10-16-2005, 08:20 PM
Dick no problem and You must be sneeking into or shop at night with the suggestions you made.
Bad boy.
We are looking at those and trying to get dealership and with different ones. You know the saying buy a PC now and in less than 6 months it will be out dated. This customizing has turned out to be a much harder process than I had first realized. I'm Blessed I found Dragon. He let's Me just roll, take care of other business's and brainstorm ideas, and so does he, but, then He works on figuring out how to make it work. Or I go to Drew who will be with us at SEMA as well as the rest. Sometimes I just call up Dean Specialty Perf. Products who is 15 minutes from Me and I have developed a personal relationship with Him and He is fully CNC'd and he will look at making a test part. He is one of My sponsors and has a new valve cover kit that will blow everybodys minds. He was hoping to have it ready for SEMA but, it is running close but they will have a booth. If they do not have the newest they have the patent and will have a mock up of the next generation of the one I'm usng now i think. He does have a coil cover kit that i'm running now that you will like allot. It hides all that messy stuff. We are a dealer with his company so We will have their stuff on site. But, ask for Dean and tell Him Rick with the Stealth Gray H2 that they sponsor told You to come buy and see the coil cover kit that i had been telling Our national club members about. They will sell some at show i guess and He may give you a break if he knows We are club mates.

We have been accumalating dealership for 2005 since last summer. Motorspsorts has over 6000 parts for rice rockets, truck, SUV's. He has to have His site made allot bigger. Hummercustoms is starting off with allot of room so We do not have to go through a rebuild like MSA did. We are still waiting on manufacturers to send us price list and photo's of the products so, that is slowing us down. We are getting near having to have a CNC shop not to build stuff to sell they can do it cheaper than us and let Us make money on their billet. We need it for the one of items We have to make all the time to make something fit. We are going to need a complete metal shop really with pipe benders, water jet cutters, etc. so We can have a R&D to build things to get patent and find some one to produce as We cannot get big enough and it is just taking us away from what We want to do. Build prototype and get patent and find a factory to produce it. We have already outgrown this brand new bulding Dragon put up during last winter. WE will need to move the Motorsportauthority.com down the road into a building and leave new one for Hummer stuff or vice versa.
These kids blow My mind as to what they will pour money wise into these rice rockets. We had a mustang that We or I should say Drew has been helping with supercharger etc. and building Him a forced ram air. The engine is hard core etc. but, it is running right at 1000HP on the ground. He has His 0 to 60 down right at 4 seconds. He thinks after he builds back his black mustang with twin turbo's he will get it below 3.6. Drew will get it there as they plan to be faster than the 360. If You have a mustang and want special stuff done to it then call shop 1-501-327-MODS and ask for Drew. Drew will give you more than you pay for because everyone has their favorite ride and mustang is his and he will go that extra distance. He will work on his own time because he loves them so much. He took one of those old mustang 2's back in the day and built boxes in the fenders to house the twin turbo setup he added to the car. One turbo in each fender well. Get in touch if you want serious mustang power.
We do anything. Drew rides a crouch rocket that has 221HP at the ground but, He has the clutch so tame that this old man can get on it and it just starts rolling not trying to jump out from under You. We have a guy that We have to tune His ride in about 30 days when My sponsor get's Us the software for it. but, He has a navigator 5.4L twin turbo in His Ford Lighting and he has been to everybody and can not get it tuned. We have a program that We can get it closer than anyone else when it comes in and then we will have program for His lighting in 30 to 45 days wrote for him. Not cheap but, if You are going to mess with stuff that is one of and no one else has it You got to have deep pockets.

Well anyway Dick We will be happy to try and help you in Your situation since it is a little more special and has specific needs. PM me if You would with a phone number and I'll get with You Monday. I would like Our Raytheon engineer to visit with you. But We will have to get Him into shop which is usually on Friday after noon so it could be till then when he calls You back but, at least i will have spoke with you and can have some details on paper and emailed to Him. The guys are finishing paint today on my rig and We get the outside all put back together finally but, then We have to finish inside. Guys anybody that has something special or a situation that is special, that is what We are known for in Arkansas. We will do or try things for people that no one else will try. Our address is the edge of the envelope.

Guys getting dealerships from some companies depending on how special the stuff is, it can cost a truck bed full of money. They do not care how good You are or how much You will do in business. Many get a truck load and if You have not reached a sales goals in 6 months you lose it completely.
Our PC is rugged not like You mentioned Dick but, it will take off road We feel. The trick is not the drive itself being tough enough it is the head seeker or how am I trying to explain it. The arm reading the disk had got to be real stable and not vibrate or it will skip info etc.or scratch the disk. You can see why i'm not the puter specialist. I do know allot as I have rebuilt laptops and stuff for friends for years and never been to a school for it. i just liked messing with it.
We searched and searched and found one that it did not cost us an arm and a leg. You can go out to many websites and get stuff at a good price in fact a real good price but, You will end up with lost data. It really is a tight rope walk to get something tough that is affordable. One dealership cost $25,000 and that did not include anything with it. You started buying after that. The billet and stuff are more reasonable but the electronics is where they rip you a new one. they have allot of R&D and they try to get it back as fast as possibe. Well i'm just repeating things you guys most likely know anyways. It is an expensive process to build a custom shop along with a webstore. We started adding things last summer. Our webmaster finally has it now so We can start plugging product in. We try to do everything close to home as possible to control quality more. I'm going to be the sales/info@HUMMERcustoms.com for a while while I get Our front counter guy up to speed. We jsut got a new guy that is sharp and can build engines ec. and it makes Himwork with customers so well. the first We should Him nothing the computer was on and He walked in and started selling at the counter using the puter and pulling out books and then came and should us what he had done and if that is what We were looking for. WE standing there with Our mouths hanging open like We are catching flies. I'm thinking if it would not look bad I kiss dragon right now for finding this guy. So it has been a week and he has not asked us anything and stuff just flying over the counter with profit on it. I saw His knowledge and I asked Him hey in between you would measure all the lines on the H2 vacuum, water wahtever and order stanless braided. Sure he said do you want blue or red or chrome end coupings. I again stood there with My mouth hanging open and said I think I would like blue. So real quick there were a couple of other items and i told I need this for H2. OK no problem rick I'll get it done ASAP.
While at SEMA We have several lines We need to pick up. You take a bank line of credit with you to see how much they want. There are some that are just great in helping You take their line on, especially again the billet. SMA is still the most outragious cost in My humble opionion for a dealership not counting you can get the master dealership. I was offered and said thanks but, no thanks. I have smaller manufacturers that are building as good and more progressive acc. than some of the big guys resting on their laurels. They are no longer the leading edge that i can see by checking around. BUt, I will have allot of sponsors there and I have to have rig near by so they can show potential dealers etc. My rig and waht there part of the rig has done to make it what it is.
But, Dick the parts from the toughbook would be great but, if You need that kind of toughness i would buy a toughbook as all your screens can have cables run to hook to the laptop etc. etc.
Most of the users are not going to cough up the price of a PC unit with much of the toughbook in it. Some of their parts cost as much as the conplete PC We a building.
PM Me Dick and let's talk.

TAZ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dick Renaud:
Taz,
For some more ideas you may want to look at the Panasonic Toughbook. They use a gel pack mounted hard drive. The ruggedized units we used in police cars have a nearly unbreakable screen and super rugged case. The laptop could be dropped on concrete from 6 or 8’ feet while running and not have a problem. You might be able to use some of the components.
http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughbook/home.asp

Hitachi makes a 6 and 8 GB micro drive if you want removable media that can work into a usb reader to transfer data. They are working on 10, 12 and 14 GB versions.
http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/?epi_menuItemI...6934ab937c27aac4f0a0 (http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/?epi_menuItemID=92382478a130ca1492480021aac4f0a0&amp;e pi_menuID=88209297e0b10f8056fb11f0aac4f0a0&amp;epi_bas eMenuID=3d0cb215112b6934ab937c27aac4f0a0)
I use an 8GB in my iPAQ and it works great.
This is were I bought my microdrive.
http://www.mobileplanet.com/us/product.asp?code=121717

Keep me posted on both your systems. I was going to start looking for a vehicle mounted computer to integrate with my Ham radio to handle packet transmissions. I use a Panasonic Toughbook for my portable radio system. The iPAQ would work but the screen is so small. The Toughbook has a great daylight screen with touchscreen built in and it is tough.

Keep me on the list. Price is not important, I need quality. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dick Renaud
10-17-2005, 12:54 AM
Taz,
PM on the way.

md_sailor
10-17-2005, 02:56 PM
Count me in for the beta let me know on price and features.

H2Finally
10-18-2005, 12:21 AM
Blown, I am also interested to beta test. I would NOT be concerned with flash drive to transfer data, since the carputer has wireless g already which will be easy enough to transfer media files with home desktop. However, the drive should be durable enough to handle some heavy shock (as I regularly "thump" my frame off a big rock during offroading).

The key imho is to have the carputer come out off hibernate ASAP, as most drivers are used to listen to radio the moment the ignition turns on. Perhaps you can wire-in "on" command to remote unlock to buy a few extra seconds?

HummerNewbie
10-18-2005, 05:30 PM
HummerNewbie I would not mind at all if You would get Me in touch with the shop that has the skill to install. If We have a 2nd place in Miaimi it would work great to work with them now and later from Miami.
Thanks

TAZ
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Taz,

Just getting caught up with this thread. I will get you the contact info for the shop.

BLOWNZO6
10-21-2005, 07:08 PM
NOW FOR SALE!!!! READ THE FIRST POST FOR A LINK

HummerNewbie
10-24-2005, 02:18 PM
I am with Humm This, either provide me with the HTML or some info and pics and I will add a page to http://www.hummercluborlando.com/ to help you sell some. If you want, I can just take what you have in the Classifieds section.

BLOWNZO6
10-24-2005, 02:25 PM
While I appreciate the offer, I have web space to put up a page. The goal of the first run is have about 5-10 people that will receive and install them. From that we can discuss the instructions, any issues they have etc. Then I will up a web page and try sell on a larger scale. I would like to get some small scale feedback first.

HummerNewbie
10-24-2005, 02:35 PM
Sounds like a good plan. I will definitely be interested in one of these systems for the H3. If down the road you are ready and want me to add a like to the site, just let me know and I would be more than happy to.