PDA

View Full Version : Cost of an H2

Steve R
12-04-2002, 02:56 AM
Now here's something that ought to spark some discussion. For the most part I believe many of us were ready to buy an H2 long before they were even in the showrooms. I myself nurtured my '87 Jeep Chorokee long enough to wait for the unveiling of the H2. I had actually placed my deposit 8 months before they were arriving at lots!

So here's the thing: I had no idea how much they were going to cost, and much like putting an offer on a house....I set a limit for how much I was willing to spend. I compared the features of the H2 with other SUV's real hard, and I evaluated things.

So here it goes, I was ready and willing to pay as much as $85,000 for exactly what sits in my garage right now. That's right...had the price been released at $85K, I'd have done it!

When it came out at only $48K base....I just about freaked and wondered why they'd sell a Hummer with all those features for so much less then it could have gotten. Needless to say, I ran right down like a giddy little child and slammed my money down. In terms of value, I think they really delivered huge!

So gang...how much were you prepared to spend??? And how much value do you feel you've gotten for your money???

...Inquiring minds want to know! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Steve R
12-04-2002, 02:56 AM
Now here's something that ought to spark some discussion. For the most part I believe many of us were ready to buy an H2 long before they were even in the showrooms. I myself nurtured my '87 Jeep Chorokee long enough to wait for the unveiling of the H2. I had actually placed my deposit 8 months before they were arriving at lots!

So here's the thing: I had no idea how much they were going to cost, and much like putting an offer on a house....I set a limit for how much I was willing to spend. I compared the features of the H2 with other SUV's real hard, and I evaluated things.

So here it goes, I was ready and willing to pay as much as $85,000 for exactly what sits in my garage right now. That's right...had the price been released at $85K, I'd have done it!

When it came out at only $48K base....I just about freaked and wondered why they'd sell a Hummer with all those features for so much less then it could have gotten. Needless to say, I ran right down like a giddy little child and slammed my money down. In terms of value, I think they really delivered huge!

So gang...how much were you prepared to spend??? And how much value do you feel you've gotten for your money???

...Inquiring minds want to know! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

AL MOORE
12-04-2002, 11:06 AM
$45k
I was led to belive there would be less plastic.
That is why we would not consider at AVALANCHE, it is plastic "want to be" truck.

I paid more. But surprisingly got more. If resale is up like many of you say, I will be a repeat buyer.
AL

"Follow the white rabit" ..Matrix 1999

Texas Red
12-04-2002, 12:02 PM
$53K was definitely a stretch for me. For a week after I got it, every time I looked at my wife I said, "What have I done?"

I was looking at a 4x4 V8 Silverado when I saw the H2. I saw it and fell in love and had to have it. Fortunately, wife was very supportive. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

Bill Kervaski
12-04-2002, 12:51 PM
I was willing to spend $70K, however based on how close this vehicle is to a Suburban vs a H1, the price is right. I love the vehicle, don't take that wrong.

- Bill

buddy
12-04-2002, 02:46 PM
I thought the MSRP would be a little higher with base being around $55,000. I too was surprised with the pricing and would have probably paid more. Maybe $60,000.

Buddy

Seth
12-04-2002, 02:55 PM
I am surprised the price point is not more like 60K. I think GM was very, very smart to price it around 50K i.e. look at the sales and the buzz around the vehicle in general. That being said I would have to say that for me spending around 50K for 1 vehicle (minus tax, title, etc..) is my limit. When I looked at the G500 even if I had loved it (and I did not) I would not have spent 70K or 80K.

Think about it, in many parts of the country that is what people pay for homes. Even 50K or 60K is stretching it but I figured if I could convince my wife it was not insane to spend that much on a vehicle, how could I pass up that golden opportunity, you married guys know what I am talking about (you married girls too.) You have to pick your battles and this was one worth fighting, I damn near had to use the Vulcan Mind Meld to convince her.

SJ
12-04-2002, 03:03 PM
I had budgeted $65K and I know that there are two prevailing perceptions of the H2 that make the value higher or lower:

(1) The H2 is just a Suburban with different sheetmetal.

(2) The H2 is the most capable SUV short of an H1, with unique drivetrain, 4WD system, and numerous exclusive features.

I fall into camp #2 because, like many of you, I've actually looked at the specification sheet and studied the vehicle before purchasing. The people that discount the H2 as item #1 have failed to even consider half the unique features that the H2 possesses.

It amazes me that people consider the H2 a marketing ploy and nothing more than a Tahoe or Suburban. Nothing could be further from the truth. If you want marketing ploys - Lexus charging a premium for an overglorified Toyota with woodgrain or BMW charging thousands extra for an upgrade from V6 to V8, in the same model line, is where you should start.

ktower_heels
12-04-2002, 03:31 PM
I have to say that I am waiting on the 2k4 model. My breaking point of what I am willing to spend is about 65k. For that amount of money, there better be some improvements in the interior and a little more horsepower.
Of course given the current price, you can lay down more money to gain those improvements after market.
After 65, I start considering the RR, or saving money.

Steve R
12-05-2002, 05:39 AM
....I've checked out the Range Rover, and I very much do NOT consider it a superior vehicle by any means. It may have a touch more elegance, but beyond that it's awkward, uncomfortable and just over-hyped. It bloody-well lacks clearance, power and ability as compared to the H2.

As for the H2, I figured it would come in around $60K +/-, but I would have been willing to pay as much as $85K to get into it (course, I'd expect a lot less plastic and more features like night-vision and CTIS)...but that's how badly I wanted the new Hummer.

I still contend that the H2 is an outstanding value for the money, especially as compared to its "competition".