PDA

View Full Version : 4.56 Ring and pinion...

OrangeCrush
11-04-2005, 12:37 AM
Okay, now that the liftkit and 38" tires are on, I'm not happy with the loss of performance with the increase of diameter of the tires.

I figured that a set of 4.56 gears with 38's would be equivalent to the 4.10's that come with the 33" tall stock tires.

Can anyone make a suggestion to where to get the gears. If I can find the gears locally tomorrow, I will install them by the afternoon.

I used Genuine gears in my Yukon, they were by far the cheapest, best quality gears I have found compared to the POS Richmonds that I had to replace 3 times because of poor castings.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

OrangeCrush
11-04-2005, 12:37 AM
Okay, now that the liftkit and 38" tires are on, I'm not happy with the loss of performance with the increase of diameter of the tires.

I figured that a set of 4.56 gears with 38's would be equivalent to the 4.10's that come with the 33" tall stock tires.

Can anyone make a suggestion to where to get the gears. If I can find the gears locally tomorrow, I will install them by the afternoon.

I used Genuine gears in my Yukon, they were by far the cheapest, best quality gears I have found compared to the POS Richmonds that I had to replace 3 times because of poor castings.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

OrangeCrush
11-04-2005, 01:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
First, I'd try a programmer. You will need one anyway to deal with the tire size and 4.56's if you add them.

You may also want to consider 4.88's or even 5.13's. Although the install is trickier I'm told and the pinion gear is starting to get very small with anything above 4.88's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually phil, if I put the 4.56's in, I won't need to reprogram anything. The steeper gears with 38's will bring it exactly the same as the 4.10's with the stock 33's on it.

Or did you mean the programmer for something other than speedometer correction?

Mark

OrangeCrush
11-04-2005, 02:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree about being off a bit.

4.10/33 = x/36.5

x= 4.53

Close enough to 4.56's I'd think but yes, still off a hair.

More importantly, it should put the cam in the proper powerband for the right rpm.

Hopefully I can find a local set tomorrow, I'll have them installed before the weekend.

Mark

OrangeCrush
11-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Ah ha... I think that's where the difference is. When I measured my stock tires, they were 33" tall.

My toyo 38's actually measured out at 36.5"... again, minor but you're right, still different.

I'm calling around right now trying to locate a set of gears. It's ridiculous, I called 4WD parts for an Auburn center section for my Yukon, they took my name and number and never called back.

I called them for a lift for the H2, same thing.
I called them for wheels and tires, same thing.
I called yesterday for ring and pinion, SAME FRICKIN thing.

They take my name and number and never call back.

Guess they don't want my business.

When I get them installed, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks,
Mark

OrangeCrush
11-04-2005, 12:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
It's been so long since I've had stock tires that I can't remember the exact measurement, so you may be right. Everyone says they are 35", but that doesn't seem right to me as my 37's only measured about that.

I run my Toyo's at 45 psi on the road and that gets them to 36.75". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I did the same. I was told they were 35's but when I physically measured them, they were only 33's.

Let me ask you something. At 45psi, are your tires wearing in the center at all? I checked my pressure and they're at 30psi, I was going to make it 35 all around.

A friend of mine has the same tires and mentioned that at 45psi, he wears the centers out.

Thanks,

Mark

PS. BTW, I can't find a set locally, I'll have to order them... guess it'll be next week on the ring and pinion. Oh well.

Fastest H-Town Realtor
11-04-2005, 01:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OrangeCrush:
It's been so long since I've had stock tires that I can't remember the exact measurement, so you may be right. Everyone says they are 35", but that doesn't seem right to me as my 37's only measured about that.

I run my Toyo's at 45 psi on the road and that gets them to 36.75". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I did the same. I was told they were 35's but when I physically measured them, they were only 33's.

Let me ask you something. At 45psi, are your tires wearing in the center at all? I checked my pressure and they're at 30psi, I was going to make it 35 all around.

A friend of mine has the same tires and mentioned that at 45psi, he wears the centers out.

Thanks,

Mark

PS. BTW, I can't find a set locally, I'll have to order them... guess it'll be next week on the ring and pinion. Oh well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What width rims are you running? Sounds like the rim is to narrow for the tire. I went to price some 20s and the guy wanted to set up a 325 tire with a 9.5" rim. Not good.

drmiles
11-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Mark I had 38's on mine the reprogrammer helped a lot in the city. Big loss on the highway.

I know have 37's with supercharger, no longer have power issues but could still use regearing to bring the rpm's up at highway speeds.

Tyler @ teakatoys has 38's supercharger and 4:56 gears, he says thats the way to go. I am looking into regearing as well. Let me know how it goes.

OrangeCrush
11-04-2005, 09:29 PM
I ordered 4.56's for front and rear today. On the bright side, I sold my corvette and since it's paid for, I may just have to get a supercharger for it.

BTW, I'm running 38's, on 10x20's. I have 35 lbs in them.

Mark

Screeper
11-04-2005, 09:53 PM
If you dont mind could you give the parts cost and your results. I have always changed out the gears in my jeeps due to the straight six. I always thought the H2 could benefit from this also. I currently have the toyos on 10x20. I have wanted to lift the truck but did not want the warranty killing supercharger. Thanks

OrangeCrush
11-05-2005, 12:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Screeper:
If you dont mind could you give the parts cost and your results. I have always changed out the gears in my jeeps due to the straight six. I always thought the H2 could benefit from this also. I currently have the toyos on 10x20. I have wanted to lift the truck but did not want the warranty killing supercharger. Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Screeper,

The gears cost me just under 700 bucks for front and rear. The gears were about 400 bucks and the other 300 was a bearing kit (crush cones, pinion bearings, etc, etc)

I'll be changing out the gears myself (with the help of a friend)

I'll be sure to post my results. When I had my Yukon, I did the same thing, that is, installed 4.56's to make up for the tire difference. It made a considerable difference.

I actually found 4.88's but if I put the 4.56's in, the speedo, shifting points, etc should be pretty close.

Mark

Screeper
11-05-2005, 02:15 AM
Thanks. I think the 4.56 sound just right. Diffs have always scared the hell out of me. I will probably take mine to my regular mechanic. Good luck on the set up lash, shims, etc.. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif