PDA

View Full Version : electric fans

unaslob
11-09-2003, 01:51 AM
has anyone dabbled with the idea of installing a set of electric fans for the h2, or even changing the flywheels around??? what kind of gains would one be looking at with these changes. unaslob

unaslob
11-09-2003, 01:51 AM
has anyone dabbled with the idea of installing a set of electric fans for the h2, or even changing the flywheels around??? what kind of gains would one be looking at with these changes. unaslob

TBarrow
11-09-2003, 02:04 AM
I saw a set on breathless performances website. I have thought about it but havn't acted on it yet. I know on my street rods I have always used electric as it creates less drag thus more HP!!! Just changed out the exhaust today to B&B Headers and Cat System in stainless. Sounds great and not loud at cruising speeds inside just when you are on it..

Black H2 Adventure Series + Luxury, AirForce One intake, Throttle Body Bypass, Gobi Rack w/2" Brackets & 4 PIAA 580 Lights, Xenarc HID, Alcoa Wheels, Goodyear 37x12.50x17 MT/R, Warn 9.5Ti Thermometric Winch, DiabloSport programmer,160 Degree T-Stat, 2-7" screens in headrests with DVD player and TV Tuner.

unaslob
11-10-2003, 10:53 PM
I thought the point of electric fans was to have one less thing running off of the engine. I didnt think it was an cooling issue. unaslob

unaslob
11-11-2003, 02:17 AM
my experience philD... is that you know alot...you have helped me before.. you are right...if I had something that was like 200 horses out of a four cylinder... the fans would probably make a difference... it does with smaller engines... probably not as big with bigger ones...
unaslob

KenP
11-11-2003, 02:49 AM
It is interesting this subject came up at this time. As some of you know LPE is sending Graham here next week to tweek things abit on my rig. I am always trying to eek out more HP, so in anticipation of his visit I asked the following:
1: Should I get a Granitelli Motor Sports (or any other) highflow MAF, and
2: Would it be wise to install a ported and polished Throttle Body?
The reply was a simple "No, those items have not proven any HP gains, whatsoever." They were particularly negative on the MAF stating they do nothing, period.
Tim went on to explain that 1/4mi times decreased by appx. 2 tenths with an electric fan kit! Of all things...
So, while you will in no way have a seat of the pants increase in performance, it will be there. The tests were all done on heavily modified 6L trucks including the H2.
As a bonus you can also cool the radiator and engine by running a switch to the fan and running it while the vehicle is parked and the engine is off. Do I have to mention not to run it for long periods of time?! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
So, PhilD is correct as usual... http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Black Lingenfelter Lux