PDA

View Full Version : Door grommet leaks need advice....

Chrmer3
08-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Hi,
First posting, have been watching & reading for awhile finally bought a 03 H2 (sunset orange) with 16K on it for what seems a nice price http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Anyhow question at hand, the door grommets have been sealed with silcone prior I do not notice leaks but they did a sh*tty looking job on caulking..so here is dilemma & I am sure you guys/gals know the best solution.,,
1. Leave as is & do not mess with it (not broke dont fix it theory)
2. Install new grommets & caulk neatly.
3. Can I just remove existing caulking, clean area & do a neat job> Basically do I need a new door seals??
4. Anyone have some pics of what end result looks like>? On mine it looks like they used a tube on it lol?
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Chrmer3
08-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Hi,
First posting, have been watching & reading for awhile finally bought a 03 H2 (sunset orange) with 16K on it for what seems a nice price http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Anyhow question at hand, the door grommets have been sealed with silcone prior I do not notice leaks but they did a sh*tty looking job on caulking..so here is dilemma & I am sure you guys/gals know the best solution.,,
1. Leave as is & do not mess with it (not broke dont fix it theory)
2. Install new grommets & caulk neatly.
3. Can I just remove existing caulking, clean area & do a neat job> Basically do I need a new door seals??
4. Anyone have some pics of what end result looks like>? On mine it looks like they used a tube on it lol?
Thanks in advance,
Chris

PARAGON
08-10-2005, 09:44 PM
Post a picture

VTSTOMPER
08-10-2005, 11:15 PM
If your talking about the front doors where the wires leave the door frame and go to the door, I had to do mine. I am not sure how bad they look, but paragon is right, we need to see a pic.

I pulled the rubber back and there are two clips to pinch and pull out. Then I took BLACK RTV silicon and put it on the inner lip. I put them back on, and then sealed around it - neatly with my finger.

Personally i would probably leave it alone because you are probably going to end up needing a whole new grommet. I will know for sure after I see it.