PDA

View Full Version : Smog issues in a 96 gas hummer in CA....help needed!

Edward
06-23-2005, 04:56 PM
I was about to purchase a gas hummer from a guy locally until I noticed that he had failed his smog. Upon further investigation, this vehicle had failed smog once before and was labeled as a "Gross Pollutor" by CA DMV. The HC(Hydrocarbon) was at 157PPM and the max allowable is 150PPM. Although he only failed by 7PPM, it still worries me that he is that close to the max. I've been told that cars with repeated smog issues usually have serious engine problems. Does anyone have any helpful insight into this problem? Thanks
Edward

Edward
06-23-2005, 04:56 PM
I was about to purchase a gas hummer from a guy locally until I noticed that he had failed his smog. Upon further investigation, this vehicle had failed smog once before and was labeled as a "Gross Pollutor" by CA DMV. The HC(Hydrocarbon) was at 157PPM and the max allowable is 150PPM. Although he only failed by 7PPM, it still worries me that he is that close to the max. I've been told that cars with repeated smog issues usually have serious engine problems. Does anyone have any helpful insight into this problem? Thanks
Edward

JnStitz
06-23-2005, 05:26 PM
My gas hummer failed smog the first time around by the previous owner, he had a minor problem fixed and it was fine. I would have him take it to a Hummer dealer and have it checked out before you buy it.

Hummertech
07-22-2005, 10:57 AM
To be honest, a standard of 150 ppm is a pretty low standard. I've seen vehicles fail with 900 ppm before. Anyway, a hydrocarbon is unburned fuel. 90% of all reasons you'll have high hydrocarbons is a problem with the ignition system. Plugs, wires, cap + rotor will likely fix it. There are some other things that could cause it. Also, adjusting your ignition timing will help a lot also. Retard the timing a little bit, and you'll lose a little bit of pep, but gain a lot in the emissions area. Turn the distributor counter clockwise just a little to retard the timing.