PDA

View Full Version : HID Xenon kit

Viper
10-28-2005, 07:59 AM
Hello everyone

Who sell plug and play HID xenon kit for Hummer? High and Low beam Xenon?

rgds

Tomas

Viper
10-28-2005, 07:59 AM
Hello everyone

Who sell plug and play HID xenon kit for Hummer? High and Low beam Xenon?

rgds

Tomas

DeBest
10-28-2005, 11:15 AM
The kits that I have seen so far are not even close to <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Plug and Play<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>because of the additional ballast that is needed. If you want there are plenty of replacement 9007 style bulbs that have the look of a HID bulb

DeBest
10-28-2005, 11:16 AM
Try the Siverstar or Piaa Bulbs which are both high quality bright white bulbs

DeBest
10-28-2005, 11:18 AM
Sorry that is SILVERSTAR which are about $40 and the Piaa Super Whites are about $100

VTSTOMPER
10-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Many custom kits are on ebay.

I have bought many from them. Stay with Philips or Hella products and you will not go wrong.

For bigger money, you can get the projection headlamp system like some have done on the forum.

MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon
10-28-2005, 01:22 PM
wow. how confusing. first off, let's clarify this:

1. HID = High Intensity Discharge light. when turned on it starts off blueish and get to a white as the temperature increases. it requires ballasts and some high dollar bulbs. these run an average of $400. Phillips and Hella make these as well as some other brands. high quality, BRIGHT functional beams, and these are what's found on the mercedes and luxury vehicle lines. Wiring is required for the most part on these and are definitely not plug and play.

2. Xenons = replacement bulb. What they've done is create bulbs that emit a blusih light. They have done this with a different gas, coloring bulb glass, and even worse, painting the bulb glass a transparent blue. A cheaper option and is for looks only. These have a tendency to be dimmer than stock. PIAA and Silverstar are brands that will maintain brightness. APC, Eurolite, and some other brands are for looks. Installation is just replacing stock bulbs.

if you're looking for the HID look, then the xenon bulbs are what you're looking for. if you want your lights to be blue for looks, then the xenon bulbs are what you're looking for. HOWEVER, be careful with this. there are quite a few xenon bulbs that do not last!! i'm talking about fading, blowing, etc... you'll definitely find these on ebay. we carry a brand called euroeffects that have an excellent warrany policy that you might look at. since a lot of people are going for the look and not wanting to spend the money for HIDs, xenon kits have become incredibly popular. If you go the Xenon route make sure you get the exact same replacement wattage!!! I can't stress that enough. They make kits that are higher in wattage (not what they project, but in what they draw from the vehicle.). These are very prone to exploding in your headlight housing.

Did you get all that? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

H2_SUT_SC
10-28-2005, 09:03 PM
I've got HID's on my Yukon (low beam) and the PIAA HID equivalent on my high beams. Whatever ads you may see that say they make bulbs that look like HID are flat out lying.

PIAA and Silverstar look NOTHING like HID. I know cause all I have to do is flick on my high beams (which are pathetic compared to the HID) to compare to my low beams.

NJ H2
10-29-2005, 01:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon:

HID = High Intensity Discharge light. when turned on it starts off blueish and get to a white as the temperature increases. it requires ballasts and some high dollar bulbs. these run an average of $400. Phillips and Hella make these as well as some other brands. Wiring is required for the most part on these and are definitely not plug and play.

http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a set of Hella Projector Bixenons that are plug and play in my H2.

kodiakz
10-30-2005, 05:00 AM
If you want true Bi-Xenon, then check out the 7" replacements @ xenondepot dot com (newbie here, hope the link is ok). We have instlalled several of these units and they work great! Now it is a little bit of work to install, but not too bad. If you want just plug and play, you can just get a bulb/ignitor/ballast kit and install that. You will lose highs and you will also need to run an aux 12v fused line to the battery as the aftermarket units allegedly need more voltage than oem type units. The light output and control is much better in the first option but they do cost more. The second option will still give you much better light output than the oem flashlights do!! Be happy to help if you need it when time to install.

MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon
10-31-2005, 02:22 AM
i stand corrected that there are a few plug and play out there. i do know of one that we've done, but it wasn't worth anything. the bulb kept going out/losing brightness though on the one we tried. haven't tried any others to see if they would last.