PDA

View Full Version : Anyone explain the differences between head units?

OrangeCrush
11-01-2005, 12:18 AM
Any gurus able to explain the differences between Pioneer's AVIC-N1, N2, D1, etc, etc???

I've looked at Pioneer, Alpine and Eclipse. To be totally honest, I have no idea which one suits my needs.

Several things.

I want nav, that's a must. DVD I am assuming can be used in place of Nav but only one or the other.

Obviously I want it to play CD's. It must be able to host a rear view camera.

Also, I prefer the Nav or dvd to be included in the same unit. I don't want a separate unit.

I want touch screen.

Can anyone make a suggestion. I'm worn out looking at them.

Thanks,

Mark

EDIT: Oh yeah, one more thing. I want the screen to be part of the dash. I don't mind if it tilts out to insert CD's but I don't want what I had in my Yukon... a motorized unit that can fold away. Hope that makes sense.

OrangeCrush
11-01-2005, 12:18 AM
Any gurus able to explain the differences between Pioneer's AVIC-N1, N2, D1, etc, etc???

I've looked at Pioneer, Alpine and Eclipse. To be totally honest, I have no idea which one suits my needs.

Several things.

I want nav, that's a must. DVD I am assuming can be used in place of Nav but only one or the other.

Obviously I want it to play CD's. It must be able to host a rear view camera.

Also, I prefer the Nav or dvd to be included in the same unit. I don't want a separate unit.

I want touch screen.

Can anyone make a suggestion. I'm worn out looking at them.

Thanks,

Mark

EDIT: Oh yeah, one more thing. I want the screen to be part of the dash. I don't mind if it tilts out to insert CD's but I don't want what I had in my Yukon... a motorized unit that can fold away. Hope that makes sense.

OrangeCrush
11-01-2005, 12:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Humm This:
You can knock off the D1 from the list, that has DVD Nav cd's but it doesn't offer dvd playback. Eclipse would probably be your best bet. The N1 and N2 are flip out screens. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks HT,

I've been leaning towards the Eclipse anyways. Can you recommend any partiuclar model number?

Mark

kodiakz
11-01-2005, 12:49 AM
The N2 is just this years (slightly) updated version of the N1, which is a slide out, din-sized unit that is touchscreen nav an controls a variety of P-bus devices. The downside to all the pioneer units is that you must insert the nav disc and remove any music/video media from the slot while using the nav. I believe the unit has a small amount of memory so you can plot a small trip and then reinsert your media disc. The Eclipse is far superior imho, as we sell both. Their units all have 2 slots (one for media and one for nav), they seem to be more up to date as far as the mapping software employed, are much better in sound quality (up to 5V preouts), and are easier to use and setup in general. Eclipse models to look at would be the AVN series including the AVN30D, 5435, and the daddyo 5495 (integrated 30 gig drive for both music storage and nav). Let me know if you need any other info. Keep in mind that you will need to consider interface devices for all the following: on-star, steering wheel controls, rear dvd if equipped, and door/warning chimes. You will not be able to reatin the oem xm, and currently only Sirius works on the Elan bus (but I imagine it is just a matter of time until someone releases an interface or Eclipse updates their firmware).

OrangeCrush
11-01-2005, 12:51 AM
What do you think of the AVN2454? It seems to have all the features I'm looking for. Stuff like a removable harddrive is really not important to me. I like music but not enough to record it onto a removable harddrive.

Opinion of this model?

Just read kodiakz's reply. I do have (I'm assuming all H2's do) steering wheel controls, onstar. Will this model accept or interface with the 2454? To use these features, do I have to buy an interface with any AVN model?

Thanks again,

Mark

OrangeCrush
11-01-2005, 12:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Humm This:
The Pioneer AVIC-D1 has 2 media drives, one thats solely used for the nav disc and the other for music... Otherwise I would have not choice but to have gotten the eclipse! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HT, sounds like the eclipse is where I need to be. Just gotta find out which model.

Thanks,

Mark

kodiakz
11-01-2005, 01:16 AM
I was just going to correct my post about the drives in the D1, but Humm this beat me to it!! I had my installer do all of these that we have done to date. I don;t believe that the D1 plays dvds though I have not verified this myself.

As we just became Eclipse dealers this year, I am not intimately familiar with all older models, but I believe that the 2454 is last years model. The drive in the 5495 is not removable, but is not cheap either!! I would recommend either the 5435 or the AVN30d which is the same piece, but is sold only through new car dealer expediters and carries a standard 3 year warranty.

If you have and want to keep either onstar or steering wheel controls, you will need interface modules. Peripheral makes the GMAH24B (for bose) that will interface the aftermarket unit with the oem system while maintaining on star. you will also need a chime module (GMACHM) as the chimes are lost when the oem radio is removed. Lastly, you will need a PESWIX steering wheel adaptor which basically converts the steering wheel buttons to a few select commands that you choose and then retransmits those commands via infrared repeater which can be placed on the overhead console to aim at the radio (kind of like taking the remote and mounting it somewhere whithin sight of the radio and activtivating it using the steering wheel buttons). Hope that all makes sense!!lol

OrangeCrush
11-01-2005, 01:29 AM
Thanks man, that was a lot to digest...lol. You say I will need a chime module because the chimes are lost when the OEM radio is replaced.

You make that sound like a bad thing...lol. I hate them damn chimes...

I appreciate your help and suggestions.

Thanks,

Mark

kodiakz
11-01-2005, 01:31 AM
Some people are annoyed by the chimes--but keep in mind that means ALL warning chimes including low fuel, door ajar, seatbelts etc. Nice thing about adding the chime module is that it is small and can be easily buried up in the dash greatly diminishing the sound if desired http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

kodiakz
11-01-2005, 01:38 AM
Definitely not removable darnit!! (tried to though). 10 gig is dedicated to nav info and the other 20 gig to music storage. The only real bummer is that the only way to currently load media is one freakin disc at a time and in real time at that!! The media drive will play almost any given format for audio or video. It also has a MemoryGate slot and will soon have the software update to allow direct iPod control as well as Sirius.

HummBob
11-01-2005, 06:45 AM
Hey Orange.

I have the Eclipse AVN2454. I think it's a great all-in-one system. Here are some of my past topics on the Eclipse:

Installed (http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/6706011751/m/5801036531/r/5801036531#5801036531)

Info/Onstar (http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/6706011751/m/9541093531/r/9541093531#9541093531)

Steering Wheel Control (http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/6706011751/m/2331005031/r/4931010041#4931010041)

OrangeCrush
11-01-2005, 09:13 AM
Bob,

I couldn't sleep so I spent the last few hours reading all the posts and links in the posts..lol.

Thanks, that DEFINITELY pointed me in the right direction. I know there always a new upgraded model around the corner but it seems that the 2454 will suit my needs just fine.

Thanks alot.

Mark

kodiakz
11-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Humm this, I think you pretty much answered your own question--just use the N2 as a nav display and dvd player. Don't hook up any of its outputs other than av out 1 on the N2. Keep in mind that the on star location is pretty low so you will have to look down a bit while driving to see, and when the screen is out you will block some of the heat controls. Probably not huge issues but definitely worth thinking about. I actually removed my onstar and put a sound control/processor unit there and it worked out great.

OrangeCrush
11-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Sorry OrangeCrush about being offtopic! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's all cool, I got the answer I was looking for.

Mark

HummBob
11-01-2005, 11:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OrangeCrush:
Bob,

I couldn't sleep so I spent the last few hours reading all the posts and links in the posts..lol.

Thanks, that DEFINITELY pointed me in the right direction. I know there always a new upgraded model around the corner but it seems that the 2454 will suit my needs just fine.

Thanks alot.

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Mark,

I know what you mean...Always a bigger, (sometimes) better system coming out. I've had the AVN2454 for about a year, and it does everything I NEED. I'm all about MY music, so I have tons of MP3's burned, and the system plays MP3's perfectly, so I don't need/want XM or Satelite Radio.

The DVD player is nice, pretty good picture plus enough outputs to attach to my vizualogic visor monitor as well as a pair of vizualogic headrest monitors.

The Nav is very nice and easy to use!

All in all, it's everything I need or want (at this time http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)!!

Bob

Great system

kodiakz
11-02-2005, 01:35 AM
Humm this, just add the N2 to your existing setup as a dvd player/monitor and output its audio/video to the D1 and to the rest of the system from there. However, since you already have nav, there are many other units that will do what you want as well or better for the same or less money. I would look at the Kenwood and Alpine units as they will play dvd's and have excellent picture quality to boot. Look at the Kenwood KVT717dvd--I feel that nav aside, it is a better unit than the N2 and will cost you much less. The Alpine DVA901 is tops, but it is not cheap. Just food for thought. I would post some pics, but we still have some of the dash torn apart finishing up the radar and alarm/start. Will post when all pretty again!

kodiakz
11-02-2005, 03:07 AM
Well fire it up then!! lol Should be easy to trim out the onstar bay to fit the N2. you can mount the hideaway box behind the glove box or under the center console (if you did away with the blows amp that is). If you wanted to get really cool, you could program a steering wheel remote interface (PESWIX) to actually control some of the N2 switching options (not sure if you can open it via remote as is doesn't come with a remote).