PDA

View Full Version : Wind Shear

Aubs
10-17-2005, 06:22 PM
Driving home from NY to PA yesterday, there were 20-30 MPH winds. This was ok on state highways at 55MPH, but at 70 MPH on the interstate, it was almost unbearable. The noise was so loud that I couldn't even hear the engine downshift to try to beat the wind, which it had to at times. Even on a flat straight-away, the engine kicked down and was around 3,000 RPM's steady to keep 70 MPH. And when we got hit from the side by wind, it got a bit scary. It was probably the worst experience I ever had in my H2.

Anyone have any comments? Have you had it as bad in the H3's?

Aubs
10-17-2005, 06:22 PM
Driving home from NY to PA yesterday, there were 20-30 MPH winds. This was ok on state highways at 55MPH, but at 70 MPH on the interstate, it was almost unbearable. The noise was so loud that I couldn't even hear the engine downshift to try to beat the wind, which it had to at times. Even on a flat straight-away, the engine kicked down and was around 3,000 RPM's steady to keep 70 MPH. And when we got hit from the side by wind, it got a bit scary. It was probably the worst experience I ever had in my H2.

Anyone have any comments? Have you had it as bad in the H3's?

VTSTOMPER
10-17-2005, 06:33 PM
The wind was very bad in New England too...it was blowing trees down all over the place around me.

HummerNewbie
10-17-2005, 06:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VTSTOMPER:
The wind was very bad in New England too...it was blowing trees down all over the place around me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn, you must have some wimpy trees up there, usually takes a hurricane to do that down here http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I had no idea it was getting that windy. What kind of gust speeds are you getting?

Aubs
10-17-2005, 06:42 PM
I was in Lake Placid, NY, and I think it was gusting in excess of 40 MPH. We were staying on the second floor of a motor inn that had plastic chairs on the walkway outside, and we woke up to them flying against the door and rolling around.

VTSTOMPER
10-17-2005, 06:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummerNewbie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VTSTOMPER:
The wind was very bad in New England too...it was blowing trees down all over the place around me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn, you must have some wimpy trees up there, usually takes a hurricane to do that down here http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah we do not have too many hurricane's here...so we have lots of older trees. Mostly the dead ones fall...but 2 weeks of rain didn't help. It made the ground real soft.

We have 60MPH gusts...

HummerNewbie
10-17-2005, 06:52 PM
yeah we do not have too many hurricane's here...so we have lots of older trees. Mostly the dead ones fall...but 2 weeks of rain didn't help. It made the ground real soft.

We have 60MPH gusts... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had no idea the gusts were getting that high. All that rain will really do it too, especially with wind speed like that. Keep safe up there.

CO Hummer
10-17-2005, 07:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aubs:

Anyone have any comments? Have you had it as bad in the H3's? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

20-30 mph? That's not a lot of wind. We have gusts up to 70mgp along the front range in Colorodo. I've always thought the H2 is exceptionally stable in high winds.

What was "scary"? Did you think you were going to tip over?

Aubs
10-17-2005, 11:11 PM
It's those cross-winds when you're going highway speeds that just come up and shove you into the next lane. Trying to pass someone and next thing you know you're fighting to avoid slamming into the side of another car. I've never had luck in the wind with this truck. It always seems to walk around and really "feel" the wind when it blows. Yesterday, the windows were literally vibrating at some points. The vehicle is stock, with roof rails but no tire carrier.