PDA

View Full Version : WHEELS COMING OFF

1 bad h2
01-08-2003, 06:13 AM
HEY GUYS IM VERY ALARMED ABOUT THIS NEW CASE IN JACKSONVILLE WITH THE WHEEL JUST COMING OFF.
THIS IS THE SECOND CASE OF THIS,WHAT IF THIS HAPPENS WHILE DRIVING ON THE HIGHWAY TO ONE OF US DOING 80MPH!!!!!!SHOULD WE STOP DRIVING ARE H2S?????WHAT DO WE DO IN THIS MATTER,NOT TO SOUND OVER PARANOID BUT ARE LIVES AND LOVED ONES MAY BE AT STAKE HERE!!!ANY IDEAS ANYONE??

1 bad h2
01-08-2003, 06:13 AM
HEY GUYS IM VERY ALARMED ABOUT THIS NEW CASE IN JACKSONVILLE WITH THE WHEEL JUST COMING OFF.
THIS IS THE SECOND CASE OF THIS,WHAT IF THIS HAPPENS WHILE DRIVING ON THE HIGHWAY TO ONE OF US DOING 80MPH!!!!!!SHOULD WE STOP DRIVING ARE H2S?????WHAT DO WE DO IN THIS MATTER,NOT TO SOUND OVER PARANOID BUT ARE LIVES AND LOVED ONES MAY BE AT STAKE HERE!!!ANY IDEAS ANYONE??

1 bad h2
01-08-2003, 06:44 AM
WHERES THAT GUY WHO CLAIMS HE WAS ON THE DESIGN TEAM FOR THE H2??MAYBE HE CAN SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS MATTER OR MAYBE GET SOME INFO FROM SOMEBODY ON THE ISIDE OF GM!!

01-08-2003, 11:45 PM
WOULD YOU PLEASE STOP SHOUTING?

No wheel ever fell off a Huumer. The stupid journalist drove into a parking garage pole at like 20 MPH.

1 bad h2
01-09-2003, 05:43 AM
PHIL D,
im just a little alarmed by what ive heard about the 2 incodents of the h2s,when you stop and think what if it happens too me or your just one of those guys where it will never happen to you kind of a thing..your reply is a little harsh dont you think? afterall is not what this site is about to talk things over about are h2s especially something as wierd as this???????

TJ
01-09-2003, 01:55 PM
Actually, a consumer complaint has indeed been filed with the NHTSA about an H2's front wheel falling off. I just posted the link to that site on this same board under the topic "Outside Mirror". So far there's only one listed on the NHTSA site...but if the report about the second one is true, I imagine that there will probably end up being some kind of investigation - if some H2 wheels are falling off, I would think this would be a really big safety issue.

TJ
01-09-2003, 03:58 PM
PhilD - I understand how the shouting and Chicken Little part of the posts might have been bothersome. But, my guess is that 1 bad H2 was just very concerned and maybe just not aware of proper Internet "etiquette."

I agree that this is a safety issue that should be discussed, but am also at a loss to understand why and how this could have happened. If it was only one incident, I could probably write it off as a 'fluke' - but now, with a second incident, it does give one reason to wonder. I think that there will be more than a few of us who will have this cross their mind as they drive on down the road.

It would sure be nice to hear something from GM/AMG about this - is it due to the owner "abusing" the vehicle, a manufacturing flaw, poor design, just a 'fluke' ??? Unfortunately, from my experience, GM hasn't appeared to do anything very quickly, so I think it may be a while before we ever hear anything "official."

My H2 is currently on its fourth trip into the shop, so you can bet that I'm going to ask the service department to check mine out really carefully in this regard before it's finally ready for us to get it back.

TJ
01-09-2003, 05:07 PM
I agree that they'd want to be 100% sure before a recall was issued, which probably won't be anytime soon. But what concerns me is that (assuming there IS a problem and these are just not two unrelated incidents or flukes), would they be so concerned over bad PR and cost that someone would end up dying in an accident before they were 100% sure? Can you imagine something like this happening at 80 mph on the Interstate? Even thinking of it makes me shudder...

On another note, there have been so many problems with my H2 that, if this is going to happen a third time, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that it just might end up being my H2. After all, I seem to be the only one who has ended up with defective shocks, so it seems likely that I'd be a prime candidate and just might be the unlucky one for the more obscure mechanical problems. We're getting ready to make a 2000 mile trip after we get my H2 back...and, just to be safe, I think that we'll keep our speed down, WAY down!

1 bad h2
01-09-2003, 06:06 PM
thanks TJ,
your write ive never really been on a chat forum on the internet before this one,and yousing caps was a mistake...but i feel the same way you do about this happening possibly at high speeds.although are friend phil d seems to be either very narrow minded or even selfious , i happen to worry about my familys saftey!!!!!
p.s...............phil d whats your problem????????

TJ
01-09-2003, 06:28 PM
1 bad h2 - Come on now, play nice...I don't think that PhilD has a problem or is being narrow-minded or selfish. Remember that so far, out of all of the H2's sold, there have been only two reports of this and who's to say what it was caused by. That's why we all come to this forum, to talk to other owners, and I think that for many of us, although this problem may be in the back of our minds, what we really want is some kind of response/reassurance from GM/AMG. Just remember, just because someone on a forum doesn't agree with you, it doesn't mean that they are calling your opinion "wrong" or making a personal attack on you, OK? My motto in life has always been "live gently."

And PhilD - You crack me up! Haven't you ever heard of Roy Sullivan, the forest ranger who got hit by lightning seven times, or the Empire State Building that averages 20 lightning hits a year?!! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hum2
08-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Well...my front wheel didn't fall off, but it was on it's way!

Was hearing a pinging/light tapping noise off-on...gradually getting worse. Initially thought it was the wild sunflower heads/other weeds banging on the muffler/skid pans.

Then I thought the tranny/transfer case was going out...I was 15+ miles from the beginnings of any civilization. After checking under numerous times, finaly noticed the large bolt on the botton A-frame, nearly out...it's head was intermittently hitting the half-shaft bolts as they spun. The nut took only 2 half turns and fell off into my hand.

I was lucky to have the right wrench...a socket was really needed...to 1/16 turn at a time, turn the nut pulling the bolt back into place. Whew!!

Will have the dealer take it all apart to see if there was any damage to the a-frame (arm) bushing.

Why the Heck would a bolt like that not have some type of lock tight system..chemical or cotter pin???

Ric

ARH1956
08-29-2005, 07:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 1 bad h2:
thanks TJ,
your write ive never really been on a chat forum on the internet before this one,and yousing caps was a mistake...but i feel the same way you do about this happening possibly at high speeds.although are friend phil d seems to be either very narrow minded or even selfious , i happen to worry about my familys saftey!!!!!
p.s...............phil d whats your problem???????? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There really should be a spelling test given to buy a "Humer", or to pretend you have, LOL.
About the wheels that "fell off"; did just the wheel/tire come off due to improper installation during rotation, etc. Or, did another component fail as well.
Those who have done extensive off-roading with "Big-Tired" vehicles will tell you to check the lugs on the wheels regularly. Big tire/wheel combos, especially when used off road, will inevitably loosen due to sidewall loading & the extra leverage these heavy monsters put on the lugs.
I wonder how many less hated vehicles, IE: Tahoes & about anything else on the road, have had similar incidences you'll never hear about. But if it's a Hummer the world must stop spinning until the "Hate for the H" can be shouted from the tree tops.
OK, I'm better now,...must take meds soon...