PDA

View Full Version : Heads & Cam

MSeeb
09-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Does anyone know if the heads and cam from a Z06 vette will work on a 05 H2. I'm just looking for a little extra HP. Thanks

MSeeb
09-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Does anyone know if the heads and cam from a Z06 vette will work on a 05 H2. I'm just looking for a little extra HP. Thanks

shipbldr
09-11-2005, 01:24 PM
I think your best bet is going to be installing a supercharger... unless you have the Z06 heads "sitting around"... even then I'd ebay them and put the coin towards a supercharger.

I would bet even money that the Z06 heads will disappoint in an H2.

The engine in the H2 is setup to make massive low end torque at the expense of top end horsepower. This is needed because you are lugging around 3+ tons of love with an H2.

The Z06 heads probably sacracfice some low end torque to get mid-range and top-end HP. This is great in a corvette because weight is low and the engine rev's up fasters to the high RPM band.

Hummers don't spend most of their time in high RPM's... mostly they need low end grunt. Which is why the roots-type superchargers are such an excellent choice.

There's is also a turbo kit I've seen discussed here on the board that is easy to install (easier than a head cam swap for sure) and has been getting great reviews.

My 2 cents worth...

MSeeb
09-11-2005, 01:35 PM
shipbldr:
I am currently running the MagnaCharger with headers, corsa exhaust, and the air raid intake system on my 03 now. Your right, it does a great job. It's just that I am trading it in on a 05 next week so I am pulling off all of my goodies and will be installing back on the 05. I just figured while I was going through the install, if anyone knew if the Z06 heads and cam might help even a little more I would consider doing it. An extra 40-50 HP certainaly wouldn't hurt.

shipbldr
09-11-2005, 01:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MSeeb:
shipbldr:
I am currently running the MagnaCharger with headers, corsa exhaust, and the air raid intake system on my 03 now. Your right, it does a great job. It's just that I am trading it in on a 05 next week so I am pulling off all of my goodies and will be installing back on the 05. I just figured while I was going through the install, if anyone knew if the Z06 heads and cam might help even a little more I would consider doing it. An extra 40-50 HP certainaly wouldn't hurt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More HP is a good thing... http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Talk to KenP here on the board. He has a Lingenfelter H@.

When we were at Paragon, he mentioned sending his back to Lingenfelter for (as I recall) some upgraded heads that were good for an extra 100HP...

If you've already done the supercharger and exhaust... then yeah... Heads are the next stage for you....

I did a head job on a 5.7L firebird formula back in 95 that got us 63HP on the dyno with no other mods. Truely cheap terror all things considered...

Go for it!

HGW
09-11-2005, 05:47 PM
If you can wait on the SC install, I can find out the best heads for you. I can have them made or maybe get them off the shelf--same price.

The right heads and cam will really make that SC perform better. I am working an engine now when I get extra cash on hand.

Remember you will have to send your programmer back to Mag for an 05 tune. They are different for each year.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
09-11-2005, 05:54 PM
MSeeb You would be good to go with the heads as long as You have the forced induction like shipbldr says. The purpose of the head is to flow that extra air your forcing through. Free flowing air at beginning, middle and end makes HP.
I'm going with a set of heads from LPE. They have a set that they do not advertise for sell that if You will ask they will put You onto them. I have visited with them about LS6 heads and they said a waste of money and disappointment awaited Me.
I'm thinking about 5.18 rear gears also to get more low end with all the other changes just as shipbldr explained. So unfortunately if you start messing with anything more than just 5 or 6 lbs. of boost to get more Hp You start needing to spend more money and fuel economy goes down more. Since I do not use mine as a daily driver i do not care how much it burns. But, the next one i can bet I go with a turbo most likley a twin turbo to use for daily driver and drive the Mall Queen less.
So you have the right idea and depending on Your boost You could get from 40 to 100 HP like KenP says. You would have to run allot higher boost to get the higher number.
I'm running 12 lbs. and is why I began to look into head change. But, then You get back to how much is the stock block going to take. Ken has the mods in His engine to take almost anything you can throw at it. So heads will be alright if Your are tame. To get the higher HP in mine at 12 boost could damage something. So the way around that is to cool air intake down with water/meth inj. along with CO2 spray on aftercooler and cool fuel down with ice bucket on the occasion You run it real hard. Plus get all the heat out of the engine compartment you can. Run an extra oil and tranny cooler with a fan. Anything that reduces temps is helping.
For each one of those first 3 items You can reduce the effect of detonation by 2 lbs. of boost aprox.
So you would get the HP and torgue, like You are running only 6 boost at 12 and limit damage. Someone is more likely able to explain it better than i did but, it makes it safer to run high boost to get high torque and high HP.

TAZ

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
09-11-2005, 06:02 PM
MSeeb
The tuning will be different for the 05 than the 03. Hummer completely changed the software for the new 05 year. All the programmer companies had to run out and right new software. I was hoping just to save You trouble if You did not think about it. You will need new tuning. You can do it several ways. By it from Magnason, go to nelsonperformance.com and talk to Him about sending You a tuned PCM in exchange for yours. Or You could buy tuning software and tune it Yourself. I use HPTuners.
Well anyway just thought of it and wanted You to be aware of checking that out.

TAZ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MSeeb:
shipbldr:
I am currently running the MagnaCharger with headers, corsa exhaust, and the air raid intake system on my 03 now. Your right, it does a great job. It's just that I am trading it in on a 05 next week so I am pulling off all of my goodies and will be installing back on the 05. I just figured while I was going through the install, if anyone knew if the Z06 heads and cam might help even a little more I would consider doing it. An extra 40-50 HP certainaly wouldn't hurt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

MSeeb
09-12-2005, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the HGW & Taz. I was not aware of the programming change between the 03 and the 05's. I am working on a deal now with Magnason to swap out my satin supercharger for a new polished one. I will make sure that they include the programmer for the 05. The Magna Chargers typically run around 5-6 lbs of boost with the stock size pulley. I am considering stepping down to a smaller pulley which would increase my boost by a couple of lbs. I dont want to run much more than 7-8 lbs as this is a daily driver. As a general rule for every 1 lb of boost increase you see around a 20hp gain. I would like to persue the idea of a different head & cam setup.

H2_SUT_SC
09-12-2005, 03:55 PM
http://www.terminator427.com has a bunch of different packages for the H2. Although if I was to go that route I'd probably go with LPE as they are the more reputable of the two.

The one thing I don't understand on that site is they have the Magnusson SC package and it states the HP @ 400. That seems pretty low seeing as how stock is 325HP. I always thought with the SC, headers, exhaust, intake and programmer you'd be looking at closer to 500HP, at least at the crank.

KenP
09-12-2005, 04:21 PM
I would stay far, far away from Terminator. That is actually owned by Hennessey. Hennessey has a terrible reputation for making claims and not coming through. They've also been sued many times by customers.

Check out the Viper and Corvette forums.

MSeeb
09-12-2005, 04:25 PM
If the 400SC on the Terminator website is designating HP they have to be measuring RWHP (at rear wheels). The supercharger alone is good for around 100-120hp @ around 5.5lb's of boost (at the flywheel).If you add the headers,cat back exhaust & aftermarket intake that should add another 40-60hp.

Humdingah
09-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Z06 heads are going to bump the compression on your truck too...smaller combustion chamber (64.45cc) than on the LQ4/LQ9 motors (71.06cc). Intake and exhaust port volumes are the same at 210/75cc's respectively. Any '02 and up LS6 head is going to get you sodium filled exhaust valves but that doesn't buy much in a motor that doesn't see extended high rpm running. Any performance gain at all is going to come from the marginal increase in compression ratio.

Sell the LS6 heads and put that towards a good set of ported LQ4/LQ9 heads.

If you add the headers,cat back exhaust & aftermarket intake that should add another 40-60hp. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd love to see the intake, cat-back and headers that are going to give me that kind of power.