PDA

View Full Version : Tubular Assist Steps - removal

JJ
11-09-2002, 02:23 PM
Has anyone looked at the time and difficulty of removing and installing the tubular assist steps? Local Dealer doesn't have one to inspect.

After reading about the contortions that folks go through with the U-Steps and still thinking I'd like to have the steps for driving around town with the family - I'd like to have the Tubular steps. But, would want to remove them when off-roading if feasible. My H2 is still on order, Dec. delivery.

JJ

JJ
11-09-2002, 02:23 PM
Has anyone looked at the time and difficulty of removing and installing the tubular assist steps? Local Dealer doesn't have one to inspect.

After reading about the contortions that folks go through with the U-Steps and still thinking I'd like to have the steps for driving around town with the family - I'd like to have the Tubular steps. But, would want to remove them when off-roading if feasible. My H2 is still on order, Dec. delivery.

JJ

Texas Red
11-09-2002, 05:09 PM
Tubular sidesteps have eight bolts per side. Not too hard to R&R. It helps to have a second pair of hands to help hold in place when you put them back on.

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

HUMMER SALESMAN
11-10-2002, 12:38 AM
THE U-STEPS WILL GIVE YHOUR FAMILY THE LIFT BUT COME OFF QUICK AND WON'T HANG UP OR DAMAGE AS EASY. I KNOW I BENT A FEW.. HAPPY HUMMERING

JJ
11-10-2002, 07:58 PM
Hummer Salesman,
several of the past posts reported difficulty using the U-Steps, seems they may be positioned in such a fashion requiring odd placements of the feet when getting in and out of the Hummer. Have you had direct experience with the U-Steps and if so what are your impressions in using them?

JJ

Bill Kervaski
11-10-2002, 08:09 PM
I've purchased the U-Steps. The Tubular Side Steps give the vehicle too much of a traditional SUV look. Anyone who has problems getting in/out can drive their toyota.

- Bill

m998
11-14-2002, 08:44 PM
If I remove my Tubular Side Steps (came with the vehicle) can I then put the U steps on/off easily if I decide to get dirty?

Texas Red
11-15-2002, 12:13 AM
Yes, that's what they're made for.

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

Doug
11-15-2002, 12:05 PM
I have no problems with the U Steps. I agree, if you want the Hummer traditional look and versitality then go with the U's. If you are just hauling kids to soccer games then go with the tubes.

11-19-2002, 02:37 PM
If one is to drive kids I'd suggest to go with tubes. U-steps have rather sharp corners and little ones, the way they are, tend to hurt themselves. I have replaced U-steps with tubes and found them to be easier to clean after muding.

TBarrow
12-12-2002, 01:22 PM
The u steps are my prefference as they are secured with one screw each. It takes about 5 minutes to remove them(once you learn how they fit and where yopu positioned the screw). They are extremely easy to clean after mudding and such as they are in my garage or in the back since I probably just found a mud hole to explore.

JJ
12-15-2002, 05:16 AM
I've been using the U-steps now for a couple of days and glad I got them. No problems with the way they are positioned and the easy on/off will come in handy when off-roading. Did notice that you have to be a bit careful of the corners of the steps.

JJ

Hum2
12-17-2002, 11:16 AM
JJ:

I have the U-steps...yes there appears to be a positioning problem...if you only open the H2 doors part way, then you tend to want to step down just back of the steps...my wife missed the step entirely one time and nearly fell. And she complains about it nearly every time she gets out of the vehicle...but then she doesn't like anything about my new toy execpt the seat heaters. Oh well!

As far as a fix....I am thinking of some kind of bridge between the front/rear u-steps...this would take care of the front seat egress/ingress. The rear passengers are going to have to watch their step...no pun intended.

Ric

JohnB.GWU.
12-17-2002, 04:17 PM
If you are just hauling kids around, I would personally suggest a nice minivan or soccer-mom SUV with 1 mode t-cases, struts at all corners, and cute things like that. Just my opinion though...

John R. Benda

dr p
12-17-2002, 10:32 PM
I think there is another way to look at this problem--as a solution. Not having any steps at all tends discourage relatives/inlaws etc. From entering your Hummer. I had a 4" lifted jeep and my mother in law couldnt get in. I traded it in on an ml 320 --she could get in--big mistake. Paid off the lease 1yr early and got H2. I have the u steps in the carriage house. She doesn't even know I own them. If the house is burning down I can quickly install them to get everyone away! Otherwise-NO MOTHER IN LAW

Li\'l Davis H2
12-17-2002, 11:54 PM
Sounds like we should all listen to bill, doug and john amd not drive our H2's unless we scrap our tubes and get U-steps. What do you think?

CJ
12-18-2002, 04:13 AM
The look is subjective. If you like it or not you should not care what the step nazi's think. The tubes do get slammed while wheelin' but better them then the rocker panel.