PDA

View Full Version : Difference between SMA and Edelbrock Headers?

SOCRATES
02-11-2004, 03:26 PM
Greetings, All:

I've been frantically searching past posts regarding header choices, and I'm still quite confused.

Could someone tell me the difference between the SMA and Edelbrock headers? The Edelbrock are $500.00+ less than the SMA's, but do they perform the same? Any input on this?

Thanks in advance!

Black '04 H2 w/ Adventure & Luxury Packages. GOBI Ladder, Genuine Hummer Step and Driving Lights, Corsa on the way!

SOCRATES
02-11-2004, 03:26 PM
Greetings, All:

I've been frantically searching past posts regarding header choices, and I'm still quite confused.

Could someone tell me the difference between the SMA and Edelbrock headers? The Edelbrock are $500.00+ less than the SMA's, but do they perform the same? Any input on this?

Thanks in advance!

Black '04 H2 w/ Adventure & Luxury Packages. GOBI Ladder, Genuine Hummer Step and Driving Lights, Corsa on the way!

Lil Devil
02-11-2004, 04:28 PM
I am very happy with my Edelbrocks. Added some much needed low-end torque. Easy install.

http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

----------------------------------------------------------
2003 H2; 37 inch tires, Manik Off-Road pkg., Airaid Intake, Custom Audio

TBarrow
02-11-2004, 06:10 PM
I was told that the B&B headers were the ones that SMA distributed. The dealer that installed my B&B's said that SMA was on some paperwork but I never saw this paperwork. The pictures are the exactly the same. I really enjoy mine and the throtle response is much sharper.

http://www.smahummer.com/detail.jsp?cid=11&pid=586

http://www.corvettesofhouston.com/PartDetails.cfm?CatID=23&start=1&subcatID=116&subcat3ID=0&itemid=543

Black H2 Adventure Series + Luxury, AirForce One intake, Throttle Body Bypass, Gobi Rack w/2" Brackets & 4 PIAA 580 Lights, Xenarc HID, Alcoa Wheels, Goodyear 37x12.50x17 MT/R, Warn 9.5Ti Thermometric Winch, DiabloSport programmer,160 Degree T-Stat, B&B Headers and exhaust, 2-7" screens in headrests with DVD player and TV Tuner.

H2 Bill
02-11-2004, 07:29 PM
I have the Edelbrock and they were an easy install. Good performance too. They look identical to me.

2003 H2 Hummer, Yellow,Polished Whipple Supercharged, Edelbrock ceramics, catback,18" Ambush w/mudders,lots of goodies!
Y2K Corvette Millennium Yellow Convert/Blk/Blk, B&B headers, B&B Tri-Flo's, H-Tech MAG,GMS MAF, RM Racing TwinFlow.
1994 Chev 454 Suburban, Blown, Doug Thorley
1970 Trans Am, balanced, blue printed, Hooker ceramics

www.4swimwear.com (http://www.4swimwear.com)

bdiddy
02-12-2004, 04:08 AM
The SMA's are B&B.

I have the Edelbrock headers, they seem to perform well. Edelbrock isn't known for their headers, that may be part of the reason for the price difference. The B&B's definitely have better welds, but I'm not sure about the flow or HP.

SOCRATES
02-12-2004, 01:33 PM
That was my main concern--

Edelbrock isn't the best when it comes to headers, though I don't know if I can justify the price difference for the SMA's.

Thanks for the info, guys!

-J

noc
02-13-2004, 06:38 AM
What about Borla or JBA? How are they?? Anybody have one?

http://www.borla.com/graphics/17222.jpg

H2 Bill
04-21-2004, 03:31 PM
I have had the Edelbrock shorties for about a year and a half. Yesterday I had the CARB Tag that certifies that they are approved by the Air Resource Board that is welded on one of the pipes on the drivers side "popped up" on one of the tack welds leaving a hole in the header!! Can you believe that they will not stand behind their product!! It really sucks and is kind of ironic that the tag certifying that it fills polution standards is actully causing pollution! Stay away from the Edelbrocks! Maybe that's why they are less expensive than the other brands! They are crap!

HGW
04-23-2004, 12:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2 Bill:
I have had the Edelbrock shorties for about a year and a half. Yesterday I had the CARB Tag that certifies that they are approved by the Air Resource Board that is welded on one of the pipes on the drivers side "popped up" on one of the tack welds leaving a hole in the header!! Can you believe that they will not stand behind their product!! It really sucks and is kind of ironic that the tag certifying that it fills polution standards is actully causing pollution! Stay away from the Edelbrocks! Maybe that's why they are less expensive than the other brands! They are crap! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok--here is some info on headers-my intent is to give some info and not to piss off any Edelbrock Header guys.

Stainless Steel:
If you go to www.ssina.com/temperature/index (http://www.ssina.com/temperature/index) (I would not bother unless you like a lot of teck info) you will see that the 304 SS withstands higher temps for longer period of time that 409-410 SS. In short, 304 SS is a better material for headers due to longer life at higher temps and better everyday heat distribution---Billy Boat Perfromance (B & B) and Borla use 304 SS.

JBA and Edelbrock use 400 series steel.

Thickness:
B&B and Borla use 16 ga. 304 SS and Edel. uses 17 ga. 409 SS. (on throttlebody engines)---the lower the number, the thicker the steel. JBA uses 14 ga. but 400 series SS.

Next, look at the welds on the B & B compared to the others---the joints are all tig welded---may be true for Borla but not for JBA or Edel.

Finally, the flanges on the Borlas are not 304 SS making them more suseptable to rust.

Confused? Hope not.

Even though they are more money, you get more with B&B and Borla. Lingenfelter uses Borla---they are great people.

I went with the B&B only because I want a full SS exhaust system and I could not get good info on the Borla welds.

All of them will improve power around 14-18 HP----some will last longer than others and look better longer than others.

KenP
04-23-2004, 12:50 AM
I believe the flange for the Borla's in our application is 3/8", maybe even 1/2". I can't look now as it is so late.

For comparison's sake, what are the others.

Since the 304 is better at withstanding heat, I would think the flanges are less receptive to warping.

HGW
04-23-2004, 01:30 AM
Yes--Borla's flanges are 3/8 and not subjected to warping----they are not 304 SS though--not a real big deal but may be subjected to rusting---not sure.

H2 Bill
04-23-2004, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the education!! When I installed the Edelbrock a year ago last November, that was all there was to choose from. I will probably replace them with the B&B. I guess you live and learn..

HGW
04-29-2004, 12:36 AM
Got my B&B headers today---worth the extra $ without question.

Will install after my Magneson next week.
High flow cats and true dual at the same time.

kacyk
10-24-2004, 04:53 AM
I currently have a Corsa Sport Exhaust. I had the dealer install it almost immediately after I bought the rig so I can't really compare the power or mileage over stock. I'm thinking about having Borla Headers installed. I have two questions:

1. What might the install price be on the headers?

2. What can I reasonably expect? Better mileage? Throttle response? Power I can feel?

I guess what I'm saying is, if what I "feel" after the install is marginal, then I'll pass on spending the money to do it.