PDA

View Full Version : Off Road Question - Traction

JJ
12-24-2002, 10:24 PM
I could use some good info on what circumstances warrant a reduction/increase in tire pressure and to what levels of inflation??? Sand vs. Snow vs. Mud vs. Rocks. I'm sure Steve R has some good info here and hopefully others who have first hand experience in this area.

JJ

JJ
12-24-2002, 10:24 PM
I could use some good info on what circumstances warrant a reduction/increase in tire pressure and to what levels of inflation??? Sand vs. Snow vs. Mud vs. Rocks. I'm sure Steve R has some good info here and hopefully others who have first hand experience in this area.

JJ

1 bad h2
12-25-2002, 06:00 AM
YEAH IDE LIKE SOME INFO ON THAT AS WELL

TonkaH2
12-27-2002, 04:44 PM
Here's what I have found: In most circumstances, traction is improved by softer tires. It helps spread the footprint of the tire out. The only real problem is when you can tear a tire, like on jagged rocks [which you can also do with highly inflated tires too -you gotta be careful either way.] Go especially slow and easy when you get anywhere you could pinch a sidewall. I've used 14 to 18 PSI on ATR's and MTR's -but not on rock. I'd have to ask somebody else for that.

Anybody else?

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. on order
"I think I can make it. D'OH!"
www.sunspotnatural.com (http://www.sunspotnatural.com)

SJ
12-27-2002, 05:09 PM
I've subscribed to Four Wheeler Magazine for a number of years and I've wheeled since age 16 and here's the take that I've gathered:

Rock crawling is the foremost example of when tires should be aired down. Airing down results in a larger footprint and easier adapatation of the tires (i.e. allowing sidewall flex). The tires are able to "grab" the rocks and create an envelope on HARD surfaces.

Trails that have large obstacles or jagged rocks may also warrant airing down, with the same premise as above.

Sand appears to be an open debate. If the sand is deep enough, then it is fair to say that partial airing down may be of benefit. Airing down may help with keeping atop the sand, versus driving the front wheels downward.

Mud bogging, Snow, and light-duty trails do not require lowering the psi.

I've only aired down a couple times in the past. I chose to do so when coming to sections of a trail that had medium size rocks and I was more concerened with punctures than traction.

TonkaH2
12-27-2002, 05:44 PM
It may be a moot matter in a vehicle weighing as much as the H2, but in snow and mud, it depends on whether you want to float or cut through. In deep snow [that, I got a LOT of experience in!] gravel, and sand it helps. Some northern expeditions use balloon tires at about 5 PSI. . .

I think the H1 has military specs for proper air-down in each condition -any H1 owners here?

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. on order
"I think I can make it. D'OH!"
www.sunspotnatural.com (http://www.sunspotnatural.com)

Steve R
12-30-2002, 04:51 AM
I was unaware of this area of the forum...that's why I've never posted anything in this area. I don't see why it's seperate from the general discussion....but here it is anyways.

While on the subject, what differences would we find leaving the ATR's and using the MTR's. I'm considering going to 37" MTR's and am curious what I can expect in terms of road noise, tire life and traction offroad. Anybody?