PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the A/C vents in the console

Michael James
01-15-2003, 11:28 AM
Has anyone looked into replacing the circular A/C Vents in the console?

Here is what i am trying to do... I want to put in a pop out screen (Alpine TME-790) in the Din right below them. (obviously removing the stock Bose stereo). I believe the screen will hit the above Vents that stick out.

Are they the same size as any other GM vehicles?
Guess I could create something?? Thoughts?

Michael James
01-15-2003, 11:28 AM
Has anyone looked into replacing the circular A/C Vents in the console?

Here is what i am trying to do... I want to put in a pop out screen (Alpine TME-790) in the Din right below them. (obviously removing the stock Bose stereo). I believe the screen will hit the above Vents that stick out.

Are they the same size as any other GM vehicles?
Guess I could create something?? Thoughts?

Texas Red
01-15-2003, 11:46 AM
I think the round vents are borrowed from the Aztec. I don't particularly like them anyway. But I haven't seen anything on this forum about replacing them with something else.

Michael James
01-15-2003, 11:52 AM
One other idea I just thought of:

Use the existing vents but move them back further into the dash. May require some cutting and/or moving some brackets.. not sure what is back there.

I am not concerned about losing thier flexibility (in other words, if they just blast the air in 1 direction and is not changeable, that is fine).

Michael James
01-15-2003, 11:58 AM
Are the vents used in the rear the same size diameter as the ones in the front but smaller?

If the are the same diameter but smaller, I may be able to get those from GM

JCJ
01-15-2003, 12:08 PM
What about these air vents (from: http://www.canepa.com/) posted earlier on in this forum. These vents seem to be same as in the Audi TT.

Michael James
01-15-2003, 07:34 PM
I went to the Canepa website and I do not see them there.... Does anyone know where I cna buy these at????

Kühl Carbon
01-15-2003, 09:35 PM
First, the rear console air vents are indeed smaller than the ones in the dash. Second, they are easily removed with a simple squeeze .... the secret is you have to know where .... it is not difficult to figure out. They can be removed from the front without removing the trim plate. I don't think you can move them "futher back into the dash" without some bracket fabrication or something ... they are just retained in the trim plates.

Lastly, I like that Audi set up all except the triple vent in the centerstack .... kinda looks out of place with the "squarinsh" styling of the rest of the interior. just my 2 centables http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Founding member of the "No Hummer Krew"

NSXTC
01-15-2003, 10:25 PM
SMA is making the vent rings which will make it look like the above pic.

http://www.smahummer.com/detail.jsp?cid=9&pid=604

Regards,
David
----------
H2SUT.com
----------

Michael James
01-16-2003, 02:12 AM
Do the Audi's shown in the picture above come in 2 different sizes or did they modify them to fit in the enclosures??

Michael James
01-16-2003, 02:12 AM
Any idea when the SMA's will be released..looks like they are not released for sale yet...

MAC
01-16-2003, 03:30 AM
PhilD, very nice and clean LCD set up, I have seen many installations, so far the ones in dash as yours is the best looking one and looks like original factory installation.

Kuhl, I agree with you on those small shiny chrome vents. Too small for the wide open square dash, the chrome looks cheap and superfluous. Just like what Emperor Joseph(?) said to Mozart: “Too many notes.”

Michael James
01-16-2003, 11:56 PM
Is anyone out there using a flip out screen?

Really wondering if the Alpine TME is adjustable enough, once extended, to go verticle...

Any ideas on the vents??

AUBURN H2
01-17-2003, 05:54 PM
IF you ahve a GOOD local car audio shop where you live, they should be able to help with this issue. I have had 3 of the H2's already and have had video in each. I have tried putting the 7" monitor in place of the radio as seen in previous picture and relocating radio to onstar slot. This works well. I have also left the factory radio in place and added a motorized monitor only piece in place of the onstar, too low, this is not a useable location. The best and easiest solution is the in-dash motorized all in one unit that is offered by many companies. (Alpine, Pioneer, Clarion, Sony, Panasonic etc.) I am currently installing the Panasonic VAD9200 in my new H2 and I am going to try and mount it in the bottom part of the radio opening and relocate my onstar to the top of the opening. This will allow the display to open completely and not be affected by the air vents and also give me a place to install a center channel where the onstar was originally. Most screens have several different tilt angles, the Panasonic piece will tilt back all but the last position when mounted in the top of the opening.
I am in the Car Audio industry and have access to a lot of brands of audio, video and security if anyone is interested in adding to their H2.