PDA

View Full Version : Guess who's replacing ring and pinion AGAIN?

OrangeCrush
11-17-2005, 07:28 PM
I came into work today and about halfway here, the frt diff started making a screeching noise. After getting towed to the dealership where my buddy was going to install it, I found out that the pinion bearing locked up.

I know we that when we installed the new pinion bearings, we didn't use a new race. After talking to my tech friend, he said they NEVER reuse a race.

I've talked to several techs and some say it's okay to use it, some say it's not a good idea. Personally, if I knew it was that important, I sure as hell would have installed it. (I didn't and that's why I had another GM tech with me actually setting up the gears.)

Now to make matters worse. The pinion gear welded itself to the pinion bearing which welded itself to the race.

After using a 20 ton press, it was obvious that the pinion gear assy was not coming out of the housing....

Yup, that's right, now I have to buy a new diff housing.

I got a great deal on it but I'll have as much in replacing my front ring and pinion and diff housing as much as I did replacing it the first time.

And not to make matters worse but I'm pulling the rear apart and having him do it over just to ensure I don't run into the same problem as I just did with the front.

Sometimes it just don't work out...

Mark

OrangeCrush
11-17-2005, 07:28 PM
I came into work today and about halfway here, the frt diff started making a screeching noise. After getting towed to the dealership where my buddy was going to install it, I found out that the pinion bearing locked up.

I know we that when we installed the new pinion bearings, we didn't use a new race. After talking to my tech friend, he said they NEVER reuse a race.

I've talked to several techs and some say it's okay to use it, some say it's not a good idea. Personally, if I knew it was that important, I sure as hell would have installed it. (I didn't and that's why I had another GM tech with me actually setting up the gears.)

Now to make matters worse. The pinion gear welded itself to the pinion bearing which welded itself to the race.

After using a 20 ton press, it was obvious that the pinion gear assy was not coming out of the housing....

Yup, that's right, now I have to buy a new diff housing.

I got a great deal on it but I'll have as much in replacing my front ring and pinion and diff housing as much as I did replacing it the first time.

And not to make matters worse but I'm pulling the rear apart and having him do it over just to ensure I don't run into the same problem as I just did with the front.

Sometimes it just don't work out...

Mark

HummerNewbie
11-17-2005, 07:40 PM
Man that really sucks! http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/angry/cussing.gif

Sorry to hear it.

NoMoGMPG
11-17-2005, 07:56 PM
You did replace the crush sleeve and used an inch-pound torquebeam wrench to test the rotational torque, right? Did a pinion depth gauging? Checked backlash? Or did you just use all the old shims and spacer?

When the pinion bearings get that hot, it is usually because of excessive preload, not a reused race...even though I never reuse an old race with a new bearing cone.

Dave

OrangeCrush
11-17-2005, 08:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GMPartsGuy:
You did replace the crush sleeve and used an inch-pound torquebeam wrench to test the rotational torque, right? Did a pinion depth gauging? Checked backlash? Or did you just use all the old shims and spacer?

Dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We set it all up. Pinion depth, backlash, etc, etc... replaced the crush sleeve, etc. The only thing we reused was the pinion bearing race. To the best of my knowledge, everything was correct. We even double checked everything.

What can I say? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif