PDA

View Full Version : New York Times Article

OUSUCKS
11-06-2002, 03:36 PM
Interesting Article...hope the link works. You may have to register...but it's free
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/02/business/02HUMM.html?pagewanted=1

Afreet
11-06-2002, 04:21 PM
I don't claim to be in any way informed about what happened with the Ford Excursion and the Sierra club, but from the 100 yard view it appears that no one really wanted to buy a truck that was bigger than a Suburban and very difficult to steer. The complaining (notice I am not using any term like lobbying, protesting, etc.) by the Sierra club was most likely just an additional factor in the decision to end the Excursion line.

Let's just take a 5 second view on why the Sierra club is going to have a difficult time trying to take down the H2.

First of all, AMG/GM is positioning this truck as a super-luxury type of product line, comparable with Cadillac. The H2 has a niche, and it fits it well. If the long wait times and 6 day supply are any indication, this is not something that will go away quickly and the demand for the H2 should not falter.

Second, GM, like Ford, has the resources to defend themselves in a legal battle and would be willing to commit those resources towards H2 defense. (After all look at the fight for the chrome grill). Aside from new laws or loopholes, the H2 should be safe from any environmental laws (except possibly for CA state laws).

Of course all of this means nothing if my initial assumption of the Ford Excursion death was due to lack of interest in the first place compounded by Sierra club efforts. If the excursion was wildly popular/profitable and the Sierra club shut it down that would be a different story altogether. (and a very unlikely one) The greatest danger I can see is if there is some great event that weakens sales or somehow threatens the rest of GM’s product line as a direct result of the H2.

Until I know more information, all I can say is "Long Live HUMMER!!"
(and I don't even have my H2 yet)

KenP
07-13-2006, 10:46 PM
Great info and it's too bad GM dropped the H1. The Sierra Club can be a real PITA.

Agriv8r
07-13-2006, 11:54 PM
thanx for the link:D

1Sonterra
07-14-2006, 01:46 AM
The excursion never caught on around here....and in Texas.......I mean Damn...we drive the biggest things we can find! The Suburban is manageable to park......but the H2 is easier with my experience. The shorter length more than overcomes the width challenges.

That ford thing was too long and everyone who needed that space already had a GM product.

H2's are running around like Tahoe's in North S.A.!! Very popular.

SnakeH2
07-14-2006, 02:05 AM
Who the frock reads the New York Times??:confused:

KenP
07-14-2006, 02:10 AM
Heck, I don't know. That was from '02.:D :D