PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled maintenance, when?

MAC
11-28-2002, 06:17 AM
Got a question on “scheduled maintenance.“ Oil change, lub, tire rotation, etc. When? 3000 miles? Every 3000 miles? I bought a dealer service contract for $900, 3 years/36K miles, zero deductible. They told me it is $150 each service, well then, 4 times a year, $900 3 yrs sounded good. According to the H2 manual, it basically depends on the oil life indicator shown on the dash, not by the miles. I have 2200 miles after 2 months, at 65% oil life, and oil looks very clean, does that mean my service is at least 2 months later at approx. 4500 to 5000 miles? seems a bit too long. What’s your suggestion?

You can tell I am not the kind who knows what’s under the hood or the floor, I opened the hood for the first time today. Alabama Bill asked what is the sticky stuff on the underbody, I took one look at the Hummer and decided I am NOT going down there to look. Thanks for the help.

MAC
11-28-2002, 06:17 AM
Got a question on “scheduled maintenance.“ Oil change, lub, tire rotation, etc. When? 3000 miles? Every 3000 miles? I bought a dealer service contract for $900, 3 years/36K miles, zero deductible. They told me it is $150 each service, well then, 4 times a year, $900 3 yrs sounded good. According to the H2 manual, it basically depends on the oil life indicator shown on the dash, not by the miles. I have 2200 miles after 2 months, at 65% oil life, and oil looks very clean, does that mean my service is at least 2 months later at approx. 4500 to 5000 miles? seems a bit too long. What’s your suggestion?

You can tell I am not the kind who knows what’s under the hood or the floor, I opened the hood for the first time today. Alabama Bill asked what is the sticky stuff on the underbody, I took one look at the Hummer and decided I am NOT going down there to look. Thanks for the help.

H2HH
11-28-2002, 06:56 AM
Mac, I've been using the 3000 mile or 4 months for oil/filter changes. Tire rotation each spring and fall, when the tire changeover is due. My 18 year old truck is still going strong.

Howie

Texas Red
11-28-2002, 10:54 AM
I plan to do my first oil change about 3000 to 3500 miles (that'll be next week or so). After that I will probably go every 4000 miles. Tires will be rotated every other oil change.

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

txsurveyor
11-28-2002, 10:57 AM
i have been using a 5000 mile interval for oil change for the last 10 years because i drive 36,000 to 40,000 miles annually. my opinion is th 3000 mile deal is invented by Jiffy Lube, etc. for business purpose. Check out the other manufacturer recommendation and no one uses 3000 mile. beside my h2, i have a lexus ls400 and and a porsche 911 and neither one uses the 3000 mile guideline. the porsche recommends 15,000 mile for normal service because it is a dry sump system. my last two landcruisers prior to the h2 are on the 5000 mile interval and both of them hit 200,000 mile without absolutely no problem. another benifit is the 5000 mile interval is easy to remember. it is irony that the oil manufacturers provide extended milage on their oil but Jiffy lube uses a reduced milage instead.

Hummie2
11-28-2002, 12:25 PM
MAC...

Five thousand miles or every 90 days should suffice. Thats been my schedule on all my vehicles and I almost hit the 90 days first.

One question though, how does the OIL LIFE indicator tell its time for a change (see my post under Synthetics on oil anaylsis)?

Don

DIANE
11-28-2002, 01:04 PM
I had my 1st oil change at 3500 miles. The dealer suggested 3000 miles for the 1st change and approx every 5000 miles afterwards. I guess it depends on your driving habits and the oil indicator. Tire rotation every other oil change.

Gary
11-28-2002, 01:15 PM
Happy Thanksgiving All,

I got my H2 on 8/2/2002...today I have over 12,000 miles on it. I have changed the oil at 4,179 miles, rotated the tires at 7,000 miles. I just changed the oil again at 11,473 miles. My oik indication light was at 16%. Most of my driving is all highway miles. I called the HUMMER dealer to ask them about how often should I can my oil and rotate the tires. They said let the on board computer tell you when it time. We reset it at each service interval for your oil changes. As far as my tire rotation, since I'm driving a straight line down the highway every 7,500 miles would be fine. The only problems I've had with my H2 were water leaking out of onstar microphone above head. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif This was due to a pinch drain tube for the sunroof. It's been fixed and no problems since the repair. My folding power mirror on the driver's side had to be replaced was loose. When it is extremely cold here in Minnesota, especially after I've washed my H2 the power folding mirror don't like to fold in all the way. Freezing issues need to be addressed now. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif My amp in my radio on ocassion doesn't come on. Solution, warranty work is replacing the BOSE factory amp. Ohterwise, my H2 is running great.

Respectfully yours,

Gary
Finlayson, MN

MAC
11-28-2002, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the good advise. I will do the first at 3000, then maybe 5000 or when needed, but not over 5000. 12% oil life looks low, mine is 65% 2200 miles. The dealer's talk of $150 maintenance cost scared me into buying the service contract, that sounded too high. He said Hummer takes a lot of oil and it is a special vehicle so cost a lot to service. Now I think that was a snow job.

Gary
11-28-2002, 05:23 PM
My H2 oil change was under $25.00. The tire rotation was under $30.00. So far this is the same cost as my 2001 Chevy Tahoe Z71 from a oil/tire servicing prespective.

Gary
Finlayson, MN

Zing
11-28-2002, 06:22 PM
I once lived next door to this family of mechanics - dad + 2 sons. Owned a large service station, lots of experience, great mechanics, nice guys. They used to tell me that changing the oil frequently was the single most productive thing you could do for your car. They'd say 3,000 miles was the ideal interval. I've stuck to that and the cars I've owned had no real engine problems. If I'd ever brought my car to them they wouldn't charge me, so their advice was unbiased. So I always relay this advice to friends.

Tires are less critical, since the worse thing is wear on the tires, but I'd say every 6,000 or 9,000 miles is fine.

One thing I'm not clear on is transmission oil. I never changed it in previous cars, and my current mechanics says every 30,000 miles. I don't remember what my neighbors recommended.

MAC
11-28-2002, 06:33 PM
Looks like one thing is for sure, don't buy the service contract, which is only for "Scheduled chassis lubrication, oil change, oil filter replacement and tire rotation services recommended in the maintenance schedule detailed in YOUR owner's manual." $900 for 3 years. For my Hummer friends who have not pick up their Hummers yet, do your checking in advance. This is one of the many contracts dealer business manager throw at you before you sign the papers and pick up your Hummer. One does not think clearly when you see your new Hummer washed and waxed sitting outside the window and this guy has a stack of contracts for you to sign.

cactusroper
11-29-2002, 12:08 PM
Does the oil life indicator have to be changed by the dealer or can you reset it yourself?

DIANE
11-29-2002, 12:15 PM
Good question. My oil was changed by a local automotive shop and they did not know how to do that. I have to take it to the dealer soon (I will take it to the dealer in early Jan.) and have them do it then. I am going to insist that they show me how so I can show the local guys. If no special equipment is required then there is no reason they cannot reset the indicator.

Hummie2
11-29-2002, 12:40 PM
Does it tell in the owners manual how to reset oil life indicator? I know our Venture van has the proceedure stated in owners manual for resetting the oil change light.

Don

Gary
11-29-2002, 01:47 PM
In your H2 owners manual, I don't have it in front of me but I tell you to hold down the
button that is on the bottom right hand side of the steering wheel control for I believe it's five seconds. When you have the D.I.C. (Driver Information Center) displaying the Oil Life Percentage Left this should then reset it to 100%.Please double check this in your manual if what I'm stating is correct. Good Luck and Have a Great Weekend.

Respectfully yours,

Gary
Finlayson, MN

JCJ
11-29-2002, 02:14 PM
When changing oil do one need to change the oil filter as well? If so how does one do that? JCJ

Gary
11-29-2002, 02:17 PM
Sorry about the previous typos in my response.

Looking the the index section of your H2 manual.

Look under the "O" section, not for Oprah but for "Oil"... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

You will then see a section showing "Life System TM" in chapter 2 page 98 (2-98)

Here is what it says:

GM Oil Life System TM

Press the fuel information button until ENGINE OIL LIFE appears in the display. The GM Oil Life System TM show an estimate of the oil's remaining useful life. It will show 100% when the system is reset after an oil change. It will alert you to change your oil on a scheudule with your driving conditions.

Always reset engine oil life after an oil change. To reset the Oil Life System press and hold the select button for five seconds while ENGINE OIL LIFE is displayed. OIL LIFE RESET will appear on the display for 10 seconds to let you know the system is reset.

The DIC does not replace the needd to maintain your vehicle as recommended in the Maintenance Schedule in this manual. Also, the oil change reminder will not detect dusty conditions or engine malfunctions that may affect the oil. Also, the oil change reminder does not measure how much oil you have in your engine. So, be sure to check you oil level often. See "Engine Oil" in the Index.

Chapter 6 page 15 (6-15)

When to Change Engine Oil (GM Oil Life System TM)

Your vehicle has a computer that lets you know when to change the engine oil and filter. This is bases on engine revolutions and engine tempature, and not on mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change will be indicated can vary considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, you must reset the system every time the oil is changed.

When the system has calculated that the oil life has been diminished, it will indicate that an oil change is necessary. A CHANGE ENGINE OIL, message will come on. Change your oil as soon as possible within the next two times you stop for fuel. It is possible tha, if you are driving unde the best conditions, the oil system may not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, your engine oil change and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset. It is also important to check your oil regularly and keep if at the proper level.

If the system is ever reset accidentially, you must change your oil at 3,000 miles (5,000 km) since your last oil change. Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil is changed.

Hopefully this will help us self maintenance owners.

P.S. I was amazed to read changing your oil only once a year. In a previous post we asked what our average speed was based on miles (km) driven and engine hours, we should see how long we can go to our next oil change. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Also, some of the conflicting positions in the manual state regarding...Ignore your D.I.C. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif and changing the oil every 3,000 miles (5,000 km). Then why do we have a D.I.C on our H2? I thought our H2 didn't have a particalur sex and were Unisex... just joking - please no flaming /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I'll never forget when my D.I.C said "ICE POSSIBLE"...I looked over to my girlfriend and said "Honey, My D.I.C. just told me that "ICE POSSIBLE". She look back at me and smiled. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Hey Aruba, I bet you never see that message on your D.I.C., with a beautiful average tempature of 88 degrees. I sure do miss being there. You have as your license plates moto says: "ONE HAPPY ISLAND".

Respectfully yours,

Gary
Finlayson, MN

Gary
11-29-2002, 02:25 PM
Aruba,

You will have to get your H2 in the air or use a creeper to get under your H2. You will see the oil filter is located near the drivers gas pedal if you were sitting in your H2 and had super human abilities to see through the floor. Once, underneath your H2. The wonderful skid plat protection may conceal your blue oil filter. You'll need an oil wrench to remove the filter. But first be sure to drain your oil out of the oil pan by removing your drain plug. Have a container to put your used oil in and bring it an oil recycling facility. Don't do what we used to do 20 plus years ago and dump in a sewer drain. This is a big NO NO. You should be able to by from the Chevy dealer on the Island both your filter and oil from them at cost. If not, I can't remember on the Island if you have a NAPA auto parts store but you can also get it there. Be sure to lubricate your oil filter gasket on the oil filter with some new oil using your finger. This will allow for the rubber gasket not to seat to the oil filter fitting on your engine improperly so that when you remove it for your next oil change your don't get pieces of your filter stuck to your engine.

Good Luck!!!

Finlayson, MN

Gary

DIANE
11-29-2002, 08:19 PM
Thank you for the info. Now I can explain to my auto guy how to reset it after each change (or I can do it if he forgets).

JCJ
11-30-2002, 10:34 PM
Gary,
Thanks for the advise.
I'll have an Aruba ("One Happy Island") plate ready for you, next time you visit Aruba!
Guess what, not too original, but the Hummer's plate says "Hummer". Had to do that quickly, before my H1 brothers got it. The black one you took a picture of has "Zorro" now. Maybe later I'll get another "vanity" name, but we have only 6 letters we can use.
Thanks again.
Bye. JCJ