PDA

View Full Version : Radio Conversion

RacerX
12-11-2002, 05:53 PM
I just picked my H2 up last week. Luckily somebody had fallen out and I was able to jump ahead in line by nearly a month. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The problem is that I need a tape deck. We listen to Books on Tape on our road trips. But the radio with the six disc changer does not have a cassette player.

The dealer was willing to swap to the standard radio but now are afraid that the programming will get screwed up if they swap the radios. I don't understand this but they are saying that each radio is programmed for each vehichle and cannot be reprogrammed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I know there are converters for cassette to CD but probably not the other way. Any ideas for adding a cassette to the six disc changers?

RacerX
12-11-2002, 05:53 PM
I just picked my H2 up last week. Luckily somebody had fallen out and I was able to jump ahead in line by nearly a month. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The problem is that I need a tape deck. We listen to Books on Tape on our road trips. But the radio with the six disc changer does not have a cassette player.

The dealer was willing to swap to the standard radio but now are afraid that the programming will get screwed up if they swap the radios. I don't understand this but they are saying that each radio is programmed for each vehichle and cannot be reprogrammed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I know there are converters for cassette to CD but probably not the other way. Any ideas for adding a cassette to the six disc changers?

AL MOORE
12-11-2002, 06:21 PM
I studied on that a while.

The H2 is my first vehicle in 25 years without a tape player. Radio shack sells a dual deck cd burner for $199. You could convert your books at home and not mess up things in the Hummer. It would not be digital quality, but will play for hours without reloading. Most audio shops, in my area, do not even sell a cassette player anymore.They tell me to GIVE IT UP!

Hey if you get an idea. Please post it... AL

"Follow the white rabit" .. 1999

Texas Red
12-11-2002, 06:41 PM
Books on tape and Books on CD.

A friend of mine checks out books on tape for his road trips. He says the library is now beginning to stock books on CD. So, things are moving in that direction. Popular Bookstores are going that way too.

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

Klaus
12-11-2002, 06:52 PM
I believe the security system on the GM radios has changed. The radio now has the VIN of the vehicle it was originally installed in, and will not work in a different vehicle. However, I would think that the dealer could re-program the radio for a different VIN. I can check my GM CDs tonight if you really want to know.

I agree with the other posts... Burn CDs. They are cheap, and can easily be done.

Klaus

RacerX
12-11-2002, 09:06 PM
My CD burning experience is exactly zero especially when matching it with a cassette player. Is there an easy shortcut for connecting to my computer so that I have access to the cassette player. I would like to solve this without purchasing a cd recorder.

I can always carry a boombox for my cassette player and solve this issue.

Also, when recording, how fast will I be able to record. I am sure downloading is very fast but it seems to me the cassette would have to play for it to be recorded and therefore an 8 hour set of cassettes would take 8 hours to record. I could never be organized enough to plan that far ahead.

Thanks for your help

Dunkster
12-11-2002, 09:26 PM
This has caused me some consern also. I use a device Digisette (http://www.digisette.com/en/main.asp)for listening to audio books I get from audible.com. Why. I can download 15 hours books and listen to them while on Bart(bay area rapid transit)and when I jump in the car I pop it into my tape player it works right where I left off. This is even better for long trips.

I ended up ordering a base model with the tape player

I actually had to show the dealer the web site and pictures on there display before he would even believe that they made a H2 with a tape player and he only looked at those after I started to walk out.

I still have a long wait ahead of me. But I will have my tape player.

-------------
Dunkster

HummerGirl
12-12-2002, 12:20 AM
Yep I was supposed to have had a Cassette player in my Hummer as well.

So pissed about it not being in there bc all my son's music was on cassettes as well.

It was on our order sheet along with the Air suspension...that did not come on the H2 either. But I can't really complain!

~amy
Move it or Lose it...
http://home.earthlink.net/~thecelestialbath/emotihummer.gif

OUSUCKS
12-12-2002, 01:29 AM
Has anyone figured out how one can get an 8-track installed in an H2?

Hummer Man
12-12-2002, 08:52 AM
Has anyone seen a 12 volt BETA MAX UNIT that can be installed in HUMMER H2. I stll have lots of tapes from the 70's I would like to see on the LCD screens I installed. I was able to find BLACK & WHITE screens to I can watch my tapes of MAYBERRY RFD.

TBarrow
12-12-2002, 01:13 PM
The dealer told me that a buletin was issued stating that burned cd's are slightly thicker and were getting hung up in the changer. I have a DVD and screens in mine and the connect through rca plugs. I would imagine that a cassette player could be hooked up the same.

Tiger Bait
12-12-2002, 02:19 PM
if you can get an ac powered one small enough, just use a power inverter to plug it into and then the cigarette lighter then you can use the betamax both inside the house and the car. Just be sure the inverter has enough capacity.

HummerGirl
12-12-2002, 03:29 PM
What? I play my burned Cds all the time in my H2.
And I am constantly changing them around.

Plus I just measured some factory CDs vs. Home made and they weight the same on a scale and are the same width with a ruler.

Maybe the problem results in the labels being improperly put on.

~amy
Move it or Lose it...
http://home.earthlink.net/~thecelestialbath/emotihummer.gif

AL MOORE
12-12-2002, 05:05 PM
The thick cd argument is "around", however, it should not be given more than 2% consequence. AL

"Follow the white rabit" .. 1999

H2Jim
12-12-2002, 08:07 PM
The standard stereo (not the changer) is a single CD with a cassette drive. An H2 became available before mine arrived and it had this unit. I asked the dealer about switching it out to a changer unit. They looked into it and said it would be no problem. I ended-up waiting for mine, but they said they could change it. We did not talk about swapping the other way around, but it seems like it would work, but then you would lose the changer.