PDA

View Full Version : Blown Transfer Case

Hummerstein
02-07-2003, 02:46 AM
Howdy,
Been stranded w/ a blown T/C for 2 weeks. Dealer can't seem to find one. Thought I'd pass this message to you all that the Lithia group of dealerships has extremely poor customer service. I had taken my H2 in three times for a fluid leak and was told not to worry, the problem was a result of a loose oil filter, only to find that I had no fluid and finally a ceased transfer case. Besides putting me in danger I'd have to say the service has just been horrible at least at two of these dealers. Every time I've had to go in to get something fixed they've actually screwed up making things worse.
At this point I'm considering dumping my H2 and steering clear of any GM products from here on out.

Jim
03' Pewter, LUX H-2
00' K3500 Crew Cab
69' Toyota FJ-40 Land Cruiser
71' 427 FJ-40 Land Cruiser
02' Nissan Maxima SE

Hummerstein
02-07-2003, 02:46 AM
Howdy,
Been stranded w/ a blown T/C for 2 weeks. Dealer can't seem to find one. Thought I'd pass this message to you all that the Lithia group of dealerships has extremely poor customer service. I had taken my H2 in three times for a fluid leak and was told not to worry, the problem was a result of a loose oil filter, only to find that I had no fluid and finally a ceased transfer case. Besides putting me in danger I'd have to say the service has just been horrible at least at two of these dealers. Every time I've had to go in to get something fixed they've actually screwed up making things worse.
At this point I'm considering dumping my H2 and steering clear of any GM products from here on out.

Jim
03' Pewter, LUX H-2
00' K3500 Crew Cab
02' Nissan Maxima SE

JJ
02-07-2003, 03:51 AM
Sorryto hear about the poor service you are receiving. It seems that service is a function of the dealership itself and not necessarily a reflection on the product. I've owned GM vehicles for decades and have been quite pleased - presently my 92 suburban with 160,000 miles is still going strong with only a nagging radiator issue (leaks spring up at 50,000 miles). However, incompetence or just poor customer service does occur.

I hope you've contacted Hummer directly and provided them some feedback on these issues.

JJ

Adam in CO
02-07-2003, 12:14 PM
I too have had lots of GM vehicles, especially trucks, and never an experience quite like that. I'm sure someone somewhere has had an experience like that with their Expedition, 4Runner, Cherokee, etc. If you truly think they put your life in danger, call your attorney. I'm not kidding. Don't let a dealer get away with that crap. I'm having issues the theives who sold me mine and having it serviced 60 miles away now.

For CO H2 Club Info,
e-mail: aps101374@yahoo.com

SJ
02-07-2003, 02:31 PM
Hummerstein:

I concur with JJ and Adam, it is the dealer that is the issue. Had the leak been diagnosed properly, you'd likely have prevented the Transfer Case seizure.

I'm another owner of many GM trucks and SUVs. I had a Blazer with 260K on the same engine [350ci] and tranny [NP203] with absolutely no problems other than having to replace an alternator and fuel pump well near 150K.

My GMC Yukon was likewise bulletproof - never in the shop; not even once [I change my own oil].

My local dealer is very supportive and top-notch.

Contact Hummer on this one!

Hummie2
02-07-2003, 10:19 PM
Hummerstein...

By all means follow SJ's advice and call the factory on this one. If Hummer is really serious about the questions they ask in their phone and written surveys then they should repremand this chain of dealerships. Its a pretty sorry service department that can't tell the difference between oil that might be leaking from a filter and the red color of ATF which would be in the transfercase!

Don

Bill Kervaski
02-08-2003, 03:26 PM
Mine was also blown and it sat in the shop for a month. This was in November.

- Bill

DIANE
02-08-2003, 06:38 PM
I can tell you that Hummer is serious about their surveys. As I have stated before, I purchased my H2 from Lynch Hummer in MO. I gave them a very good rating in everything except dealing with the issue of a paint scratch that was there when I picked it up from the dealership (Lynch). The scratch will be fixed in Miami as soon as I can get there. Anyway, Lynch Hummer sent me a note stating that they are very sorry for anything they did which resulted in a less than perfect score. They also asked me to call them and give them the chance to resolve all problems I am having with the Hummer. Obviously they are receiving feedback about the surverys we fill out.

Hummerstein
02-09-2003, 02:47 AM
Thanks Folks,
Another weekend without my rig is just driving me mad!!! I'll take your advice and call Hummer directly. I'm busy tonight writing my list of F___k ups the dealer has made and the dates of occurances. The T Case was the last straw. My list is about two pages so far. Hopefully Hummer will consider my plight...
Jim

02-09-2003, 02:49 AM
My transfercase broke December 25th and I finally got it back this Thursday, February 6th.
Now I look forward to have great fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Kervaski:
Mine was also blown and it sat in the shop for a month. This was in November.

- Bill<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MAC
02-09-2003, 03:36 AM
Hummerstein, Sorry to hear about your problems. Do call Hummer directly, I have seen some members here got fast result. When you write Hummer, be sure to make your cover letter brief and clear to the point, neat like a business letter. In business, often people don't read or don't take long winded or hand written letter seriously, you can always attached the list of problems clearly marked 1, 2, 3, 4, etc, do not repeat any items unless you must. Months ago there was some guy here posted a long winded rambling letter complaining about the snow chain for the Hummer, if I get a letter like that on my desk, it goes to the bottom of the pile if I ever read it.

MAC
02-09-2003, 04:55 PM
A new full-time 4WD transfer case from Borg-Warner will handle getting power to the wheels. Though the transmission shown here is a 4L60, the press materials show a 4L65-E transmission will be under the H2.

Hummerstein
02-09-2003, 11:55 PM
Thanks MAC,
I'll be inquiring as to my replacement T/Case.
I'm hoping the 4L65-E will not have the same problems. Having not seen any alerts and not getting any info from the dealer I'd have to admit I haven't a clue why the current run is failing. Mine started w/ a serious leak; however, others look as if they've simply exploded...

Jim
03' Pewter, LUX H-2
00' K3500 Crew Cab
02' Nissan Maxima SE

Gary
02-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Transfer Case Broken...

My dealer had an H2 that had the same problem. Here is what happened...the bearings were put in backwards when they installed them and it caused the transfer cases to fail. I guess that's what happens when you don't pay attention to details. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif If you get a chance to see your bearings you'll see that its quite easy to put them in the wrong way.

Gary
Finlayson, MN

buddy
02-10-2003, 12:49 AM
Hummerstein,

I think the H2 has the 4L65-E now.

Sure would like to know why there's so many problems with the transfer case.

I haven't had any problems so far, since July 27.

buddy

buddy
02-10-2003, 01:10 AM
Gary,

Guess we were posting at the same time. Bearings in backwards could do it I suppose, especially if one side is sealed.

Thanks

Clay500
02-16-2003, 06:52 PM
Jim,

Or anyone else who needs a good attorney... I can refer you to mine who had GM buy back a Corvette from me (based on Ohio Lemon Law) due to 14 trips back to the dealer and 27 days out of service in the first year! They bought it back after I had it 18 months...paid me 100% of my money back and 50% of the $2500.00 attorney fees!

He also took care of the 130 million dollar powerball lottery ticket a few years back!

Regards,

CW

Hummerstein
02-16-2003, 08:10 PM
Thanks CW,
I just got my rig back so we'll see what breaks this weekend. If anything major occurs I'll be taking you up on the attorney.
Jim

H2 Bill
02-17-2003, 08:38 PM
So Hummerstein...what did the problem end up being? A whole new transfer case, bearings or what? Did you end up contacting Hummer?

2003 H2 Hummer, Yellow,Whipple Supercharged, Edelbrock ceramics, catback,18" Ambush w/mudders,lots of goodies!
Y2K Corvette Millennium Yellow Convert/Blk/Blk, B&B headers, B&B Tri-Flo's, H-Tech MAG,GMS MAF, RM Racing TwinFlow, CLB, Window Commander, Euro Tail lights.
1994 Chev 454 Suburban, Blown, Doug Thorley
1970 Trans Am, balanced, blue printed, Hooker ceramics

Hummerstein
02-23-2003, 03:47 AM
I contacted Hummer and they negotiated a deal w/ the dealer to get me back on the road, aka off road http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. After three weeks downtime I am back wheelin' in some sand dunes and am quite happy to have my rig back. The dealer had no idea what the problem was and only could respond saying that several defective T Cases were shipped from Mexico to Hummer. The nature of the defect is not being disclosed.

As for my dealer, "Hummer of Bellevue" they continue to be the most disorganized and rude business I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with.

Hummer Customer Service was helpful in getting the new T Case to my dealer; however, there was really a lack of empathy or understanding that I was upset by the service, or lack thereof, that I was receiving from the dealer.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and suggestions. I would have been waiting at least another month If I hadn't had my attorney fax the restitution letter to GM.

To any people condsidering purchasing an H2... The slogan "There is nothing else" should really read "Buy something else"

Think LEXUS for excellent customer service, quality engineering and great resale.

Think Jeep Rubicon for 4 wheelin' capability.

Think Hummer for being stuck in some lame GM dealer begging them to fix several factory flaws for a brand new vehicle that you've only had three weeks. Only to be told either, "We don't work on Hummers here" or "We don't have the parts for that mirror, windshield wiper motor, Transmission, stereo amp, disc changer, ___?___ (insert your factory defect here), is on back order it will take two or three weeks.

Jim
03' Pewter, LUX H-2
00' K3500 Crew Cab
02' Nissan Maxima SE

HUMMBABY
02-23-2003, 05:04 PM
Jim - I feel your pain in dealing with Hummer of Bellevue. I unfortunately deal with them as well. Try Doug's in Lynnwood. They have been the Hummer dealer for years - same distance if not closer for you from up North.

Also, if you need a good Lemon Law attorney in Seattle I have the guy. One letter, a few phone calls and a brand new Ford truck sitting in my driveway. I was referred to him by my attorney. He specializes in Lemon Law and Consumer Law in WA state. Very familiar with all of the manufactures as they are with him.

Best of luck with your H2.

Cheers!

Hummerstein
03-11-2003, 12:33 AM
Hey Folks,
Finally had my H2 on the road for three solid weeks without any mechanical or electrical problems. This is a new record for me!!!
Oops, forgot to mention that I'm only driving it on the weekends now! Kind of afraid the motor will drop out if I drive it too much...