PDA

View Full Version : Ball Joints

Bad Dawg
10-20-2003, 12:10 PM
While on the Dealer outing this last weekend we ran into problems. Both ball joints had come away from the "A" arms by popping out of their seats. This of course caused some interesting steering challenges. Lucky that the dealer's service manager was along on the run . He and I jacked up the front end to extend the suspension to beat the joint back into position to get us a little further down the trail. After another stop to beat things back into position we stopped in the "ghost town" we were headed for and found a fellow with a welder to tack the worse joint in place before the welder gave out. We made it back home ok and it's in the shop now. The Cause: We think that when we had originally distroyed the front diff, transfercase and read diff, along with bending the right front tie rod, we also bottomed out the front suspension causing the ball joints to get pushed out of their seats. This first mishap happened when the rig was still bone stock.
Here is some interesting info: the ball joints are PRESSED in! Looks like the exact same parts on my 2001 1 ton Dually Duramax 4x4. Hope this isn't something that happens a lot. More info when I hear from the dealer later this morning.

By the way, Edmark Hummer has always treated me GREAT and I fully expect honest info.

You can never have enough horsepower! Yellow LUX, Airforce intake, stainless headers and exhaust, Gobi rack and ladder, roof mounted off road lights, full wrap brush guard, rear light guards, outside tire carrier, Rancho 4" suspension lift, Ultra "EN4CER" 17x9 wheels, Goodyear 37/12.50R17 MT/R tires, removed side-step bars, 9.5ti warn multi-mount winch.

Bad Dawg
10-20-2003, 12:10 PM
While on the Dealer outing this last weekend we ran into problems. Both ball joints had come away from the "A" arms by popping out of their seats. This of course caused some interesting steering challenges. Lucky that the dealer's service manager was along on the run . He and I jacked up the front end to extend the suspension to beat the joint back into position to get us a little further down the trail. After another stop to beat things back into position we stopped in the "ghost town" we were headed for and found a fellow with a welder to tack the worse joint in place before the welder gave out. We made it back home ok and it's in the shop now. The Cause: We think that when we had originally distroyed the front diff, transfercase and read diff, along with bending the right front tie rod, we also bottomed out the front suspension causing the ball joints to get pushed out of their seats. This first mishap happened when the rig was still bone stock.
Here is some interesting info: the ball joints are PRESSED in! Looks like the exact same parts on my 2001 1 ton Dually Duramax 4x4. Hope this isn't something that happens a lot. More info when I hear from the dealer later this morning.

By the way, Edmark Hummer has always treated me GREAT and I fully expect honest info.

You can never have enough horsepower! Yellow LUX, Airforce intake, stainless headers and exhaust, Gobi rack and ladder, roof mounted off road lights, full wrap brush guard, rear light guards, outside tire carrier, Rancho 4" suspension lift, Ultra "EN4CER" 17x9 wheels, Goodyear 37/12.50R17 MT/R tires, removed side-step bars, 9.5ti warn multi-mount winch.

Bad Dawg
10-20-2003, 12:26 PM
Alec. No, they are at the ends of the "A" arms.

Bad Dawg
10-20-2003, 01:11 PM
Dealer just called. It is being submitted under warranty. We're also going to crank up the front adjustable shocks a bit more, just in case there is still more travel than there is suppose to be (although, with the lift, we have more travel before it bottoms out than the stock set up).