PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Question

drouke
03-05-2004, 09:37 AM
Has anyone hard wired thiers? If so what kind of wire would I need to go from the Ipod to the Aux interface?

drouke
03-05-2004, 09:37 AM
Has anyone hard wired thiers? If so what kind of wire would I need to go from the Ipod to the Aux interface?

TouchdownTN
03-05-2004, 07:05 PM
I tried to do this with the soundgate adapter. Don't do it. Terrible sound quality with the adapter and alot of aggravation actually getting a soundgate adapter that will even respond. Search the BB's for posts by Klaus for the best info. on this. Hope this helps!

03 Black Adventure with all Lux Options,Brush Guard Lights, and Sylvania Silverstars. Go Vols!!!

TouchdownTN
03-05-2004, 07:05 PM
I tried to do this with the soundgate adapter. Don't do it. Terrible sound quality with the adapter and alot of aggravation actually getting a soundgate adapter that will even respond. Search the BB's for posts by Klaus for the best info. on this. Hope this helps!

03 Black Adventure with all Lux Options,Brush Guard Lights, and Sylvania Silverstars. Go Vols!!!

HHummer
03-06-2004, 01:57 AM
Due to the negative info on the soundgate, I have been waiting for the PAC AAI-GM24 Auxiliary Audio Input for GM vehicles shipping approximately March 1st!

http://www.pac-audio.com/index.asp

drouke
03-06-2004, 10:17 PM
I'm also waiting for the AAI-GM24. I just don't know what type of wire to come off of the Ipod with. Is it something that plugs in like the data cable? or is it something that plugs into the head phone jack?

HHummer
03-07-2004, 01:57 AM
Should be just the mini stereo plug to rca plugs like you would use with a home stereo.

Hannahman
03-18-2004, 11:52 PM
HHummer,

Did you ever receive this part?

AAI-GM24 Auxiliary Audio Input for GM vehicles

Did it work with your Ipod? I am interested in this but want to make sure it works....

drouke
03-19-2004, 11:14 AM
I spoke to LogJam Electronics yesterday. They state they are still waiting for the shipment from Pac. Supposedly next week they will be available.

KIDZBOX
03-19-2004, 06:18 PM
Belkin makes a small (and cheap) RF device that you plug into the IPOD then tune your radio to one of several stations. Clarity's good as long as you are close to the vehicle antenna. I put mine in the cup holder and it works fine.

TouchdownTN
03-22-2004, 08:16 PM
What bit rate and format do you use to put tracks on your ipod. I have been using AAC format at near CD quality and through the Ipod ear buds it sounds as good as a cd. But when I hook up the Ipod to my home or h2 stereo it sounds terrible. The music has no seperation to it at all, it sounds muffeled and one dimensional. Looking for suggestions!

HHummer
03-23-2004, 01:29 AM
Hannahman,
As per the reply of drouke, still waiting. Logjam seems to be very "on top of service" and I will reply as soon as I receive notic e. The March reference is gone from the pac-audio site, but no new date. As a temp, I am using a C.CRANE FM transmitter. It is a little over and inch thich and 3 inches square, runs on 2 AA batteries and includes an AC adapter. I purchased a 12volt trans/adapter at radio shack to use in the vehicle. After trying several cheap transmitters like the iRoc, etc. I found this to be the best. It does work very well with the exception of coming across a very strong fm station on the frequency you are using. Of course, the frequency is adjustable, but it is a pain to have to change while on the road. I have not found any XM radio, MP3, or other audio out that does not work with this unit, unlike many others that I have to get rid of. The aux audio input will be worth the wait.

HUMMERDOGG
03-23-2004, 06:32 AM
I bought and tried out the Belkin piece. Unfortunately, my experience isn't as good as KIDSZBOX. I hated it cuz my reception was best with the modulator pressed up against the center console by the A/C controls which I could only accomplish by actually holding it their with my right hand. I think I might have to pull out the ol' Velcro and start rigging something...

HHummer
03-24-2004, 10:24 PM
This is the latest update on the AAI-GM24.
"One of our beta testers was having a reliability problem. So, we are
currently addressing that issue. There is no date available since the source
of the problem is unknown at this time. (As of Monday the 22nd)"

On a positive note, at least the paying customers are not beta testing.

HHummer
04-03-2004, 04:26 PM
FYI..
Just received notice from Logjam Electronics that the AAI-GM24 has shipped. Hopefully I will be able to install first part of the week.

Klaus
04-06-2004, 06:45 PM
Good news for you IPod guys:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=160;action=display;threadid=24830

HHummer
04-06-2004, 10:29 PM
Received AAI-GM24 from Logjam today. Hope to find time to install Wednesday. Can anyone advise the time to schedule for getting at the back of the radio/connections and replace the trim?

TouchdownTN
04-07-2004, 03:12 AM
Assuming everything goes smooth you should be at the back of the radio in 30-45 minutes. I am guessing that you have done this sort of thing before though if you are willing to tackle the job yourself. I hope the AAI-GM24 works but personally I hate the thoughts of taking the console apart again. Be careful when pulling the cupholders out of the console. The three clips came off very easy on mine and I had to get the dealer to replace one of the clips I lost. Please keep us updated!!!!

drouke
04-07-2004, 07:52 AM
I am still waiting to hear from logjam. I'm very anxious to get this in. I've left the soundgate piece in all this time because the only thing not working is the factory cd, but I have the audio for my PS2 and DVD setup so I've left it alone. I am awaiting this product so I can add my Ipod to the mix. I was using the Itrip modulator for awhile. It works fine around town and in the house, but once I get on the highway it sucked. It seems like I've taken the center console down so many times I can do it in about 5 minutes now, but like you Touchdown, a couple of my clips fell inside and I can't find them. What did they cost from the dealer? Once I get this done I'll post some pics. What started out as a a/v setup for my son has turned into quite a bitch.

TouchdownTN
04-07-2004, 01:39 PM
I took my H2 in for some other warranty items and they replaced the clip for me for free! I'm just glad I didn't have to remove everthing again just to put the clips on. If all goes well with these new Aux Input devices I will probably be tearing the radio out again but I am considering shopping around to see how much a local installer would charge! I look forward to hearing about your results. BTW, I have been using the Itrip too, sound quality definitely not CD quality but better than letting my $400 Ipod sit around!

HHummer
04-07-2004, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the info and headsup on the clips. I have taken many vehicles apart, but this is the first time into the H2 dash, so appreciate the advice. Had a long day today, but I am going to start this evening. I'll post after it is up and running.
http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Zing
04-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Drouke, I look forward to hearing how the install goes and how easy it is to get at the back of the radio.

I've been researching which MP3 player to buy and it seems the iRiver HP-120 (now the H120) (http://reviews.cnet.com/iRiver_iHP-120/4505-6490_7-30571493.html)is the best out there. Better battery life than iPod and more features like FM radio (which I want for when not in the H2). Anyone try iRiver?

Brandon Fuller
04-08-2004, 02:46 AM
Done!

I installed the PAC device tonight successfully. It works perfectly. Great sound at all volumes with my iPod. OnStar, steering controls, etc. all work fine afterwards.

Read more at:
http://brandon.fuller.name/archives/2004/04/07/22.24.07/

HHummer
04-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Yes! Works perfectly - like part of the factory radio. PAC box has right and left trim so volume matches extremely well. As Brandon mentioned, the steering controls work, too. Radio reads out aux1 and aux2. Wired aux1 to mini plug out for XM radio or unplug and move to Ipod, and aux2 for DVD player. Sounds perfect. Thanks to HappyJack and the forum for the info on the console and clips, too.

TouchdownTN
04-14-2004, 02:02 AM
Anyone had any problems with the PAC device? I'm going to order one just waiting to see if there are any problems. I spoke with one distributor from TX and he said that PAC was having some issues with the unit and that if any were out I should wait. So far from what I have read here, I'm ready to order. So any other commments good or bad about the unit will be a big help. BTW, has anyone added the PAC device that allows you to add a aftermarket amp to the factory stereo?

drouke
04-15-2004, 08:05 AM
TouchDown,

I'm installing this weekend. Finally got my PAC unit from LogJam yesterday, I'll let you know how it goes. By the way, does the IRiver have the same capacity as the Ipod? I have the 20 gig Ipod, I put pretty much put my whole cd collection (about 2000 songs) and still have over 10 gigs of space left. I have bought other mp3 players, a NIke one (crap) and a Philips one. The Ipod blows them away.

TouchdownTN
04-15-2004, 02:24 PM
drouke,
I don't know much about other MP3 players. I just read on this board about members talking about their Ipods and that's what got me interested. The big selling point of the Ipod to me was the 40 GB hard drive. I have a collection of around 1500 CD's so the storage was a big factor for me! Thanks for keeping me updated!

HHummer
04-16-2004, 02:17 PM
http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The PAC has been in a week now, and I absolutely love it. Using the steering wheel button to change from the radio to the cd to the aux1(xm radio) to the aux2(dvd player) is even better than I had hoped. I'll never listen to a commercial again. No problems of any kind. <''>

Zing
04-17-2004, 01:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drouke:
TouchDown,

I'm installing this weekend. Finally got my PAC unit from LogJam yesterday, I'll let you know how it goes. By the way, does the IRiver have the same capacity as the Ipod? I have the 20 gig Ipod, I put pretty much put my whole cd collection (about 2000 songs) and still have over 10 gigs of space left. I have bought other mp3 players, a NIke one (crap) and a Philips one. The Ipod blows them away. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The iRiver has a 20 gig and 40 gig model. I had it only for a few days, but it's amazing. Has FM and 16 hour battery life which are pluses for me over the iPod. Haven't tried an iPod so I can't truly compare.

Zing
04-27-2004, 12:42 AM
Just got the PAC AAI-GM24 in the mail today. It's not as easy as plugging in the back.

There are open ended wires coming out and something to do in order to hook up to the steering wheel controls that I don't understand. The instructions suck. What do you do with the loose wires?

TouchdownTN
04-27-2004, 02:03 AM
Zing, The two wires are only for use when hooking up the unit to the steering wheel controler adapter as you mentioned. I believe it is called a SWI-X or something to that effect. According to what I have read is that your iRiver or other device needs to be able to use a IR remote before the steering wheel controls will work. I think that the SWI-X component is around $100 not exactly sure. I do know that if you aren't using this piece PAC says to tape the ends of these wires in order to prevent a short and then just plug the harnesses in their respective plugs. Hope this helps! I'm still waiting to get my AAI-GM24. The shop I'm planning on using is having trouble getting the part it.

HHummer
04-27-2004, 03:20 AM
Zing,

Just ignore the open end wires. One is a power supply for an accessory item and the other is to control a non-factory radio. Your steering wheel control will rotate through the available items as in radio am, fm, cd, and your new aux 1 and aux 2 inputs. For your H2, just insert the plugs and plug your audio sources into the two stereo inputs and your ready to close it up. As mentioned, tape off the ends of the unused open ended wires. Before you close up the dash, match your volume for your aux. inputs to the existing radio and cd as best you can to minimize the difference when rotating through your sound sources. I found the Delphi XM output at maximum is still lower in volume than the radio and cd, so if you have the XM cranked up a bit and change source to the cd or radio, you blast yourself. My Ipod is similar.

Zing
04-27-2004, 02:47 PM
Phew, thanks guys that makes it much easier.

HH, great tip on adjusting the volume prior to closing everything up, thanks.

T, I ordered mine from logjam on Saturday and it arrived at my door in less than a week. I think it was $107 total with shipping. Might be quicker than waiting on your shop.

I'll get back to you on how it goes.