PDA

View Full Version : Painting Grill

Dunkster
02-10-2003, 05:13 AM
I was thinking of painting my grill black. I got my H2 with no chrome and like it that way and even with the wrap around guard the chrome grill looks wrong. Does anyone have a diagram for easily taking off the grill? Something that might show all the screws or latches that need to be taken off first. I have a yellow H2 and I was also thinking of painting the H2 on the buttom yellow so it stands out more. What do you think? Oh I will most likely get someone that knows what they are doing to paint it.

-------------
Dunkster

Dunkster
02-10-2003, 05:13 AM
I was thinking of painting my grill black. I got my H2 with no chrome and like it that way and even with the wrap around guard the chrome grill looks wrong. Does anyone have a diagram for easily taking off the grill? Something that might show all the screws or latches that need to be taken off first. I have a yellow H2 and I was also thinking of painting the H2 on the buttom yellow so it stands out more. What do you think? Oh I will most likely get someone that knows what they are doing to paint it.

-------------
Dunkster

02-10-2003, 03:17 PM
Grills are "chromed" and painting it is not possible. Paint will chip off. However, if you still want to paint it consider doing:
1. Sandblast the grill, fine sandblast.
2. Use some eatching solution (caution here)
3. Primer + paint + clear coat
(all 3 available in aerosole cans)
Apply THIN coat of primer and use 1000 grid sand paper to remove nitches.
Apply very thin coat of pain and repeat few times.
Apply very thin clear coat, couple times.
Goal is to apply thin coats at the time, let dry and re-apply.
This I did on few Jeeps, BUT if hit hard paint will chip.

H2 X-Treme
02-10-2003, 05:05 PM
Before getting my H2, I had an Expedition, I had the grill painted at a body shop. The grill chipped all over the place.

I would not do it unless there is a different method to coating it.

I have a Black H2, and do not mind the chrome. The truck suits it.

In the past, I have always disliked chrome, and blacked out the trucks I have had.

But I do agree with you. A yellow H2 would look better with with a black grill.

www.x-tremeoutfitters.ca (http://www.x-tremeoutfitters.ca)

Sandra
02-10-2003, 05:16 PM
There are shops that do a nylon powder coating. This is known as Thermoplastics. These coatings will NOT chip and are uv stable. Many applications including expanded metal, wire goods, chemical duct lining, snowplow blades, and bike racks.

KAC
02-11-2003, 01:10 PM
Please excuse the neophyte question but are these the kind of shops I'd go to for powder coating my wheels and grill? Although I just want plain, flat black, the first one looks intersting with lots of colors, textures and effects available.

ThermalTech (http://www.thermaltechcoatings.com/prod05.htm)

Vanwin Coatings (http://www.vanwincoatings.com/powder_coating.html)

ASCO (http://www.asconorfolk.com/)

Thanks for any help.

Kim

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series

Sandra
02-11-2003, 02:29 PM
Yes, the shops that do the wheels should be able to do the job. The first one would be my choice.

KAC
02-11-2003, 03:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sandra:
Yes, the shops that do the wheels should be able to do the job. The first one would be my choice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Sandra - that's the way I was leaning. They seem to specialize in automotive parts. Now I'm torn between coating the grill to match my red truck or coating it black. The wheels are definitely going to be black.

Kim

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series

Dunkster
02-11-2003, 03:25 PM
I am going to get the grill painted black for sure. I have seen some pictures of that and like it. Anyone seen any pictures of the wheels painted black. The wheels would be the last bit of chrome left. I think I found a place in the Bay Area to do it. I will get pictures when I get it done.

-------------
Dunkster

BKLYNH2
02-11-2003, 11:19 PM
Check the photos section somone just had it done(the wheels that is) and posted photos.

Dunkster
02-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Update. I found someone to do the work in my area. Since it is plastic they are going to sand it and stuff. I talked to my dealers part department an a new grill is $295(in case something goes wrong). The guy that is doing it just does the painting, so I will have to take it off the grill myself. Has anyone taken off the grill yet? Any special tricks?

-------------
Dunkster

PARAGON
02-12-2003, 09:33 PM
Dunkster

The grill is extremely easy to remove. It's just 4 nuts at the 4 corners of the front end. Open the hood and you will see the posts with nuts on them at each corner outside of the headlights and the turn signals.

After remove the nuts there are retainers across the fron and you just "snap" the grill off.

Duramax Diesel for H2
02-18-2003, 08:47 PM
Wish the H2 had a metal grill instead of a cheap plastic chrome one. The Steel grill would be more appealing and would assimilate it more with it's brother the H1.

hinten
02-19-2003, 03:34 PM
So how ecactly does the powder coating process work for plastic pieces. Seems that the piece to be coated has to withstand an electrical charge and then high temparature during the baking process. How does this work for a plastic piece?

Sandra
02-19-2003, 09:10 PM
Powder coating is for the rims only. The process for plastic is a liquid paint aplication.

Chux
02-23-2003, 06:02 PM
Sandra - Do you know where I can get this grill painting done in Denver?

Sandra
02-23-2003, 10:22 PM
call me @720/479-9372 Monday after 10 a.m.