PDA

View Full Version : Auto Volume on Radio

H2ummer
08-09-2003, 10:49 PM
Has anyone done the TSB for fixing the Auto Volume on the Radio either themseleves or at the dealer? Just wondering if it acutally fixed it, before I go through all the trouble of tearing the console apart.

Thanks,

03 H2 Pewter W/Lux, Delphia XM Radio

H2ummer
08-09-2003, 10:49 PM
Has anyone done the TSB for fixing the Auto Volume on the Radio either themseleves or at the dealer? Just wondering if it acutally fixed it, before I go through all the trouble of tearing the console apart.

Thanks,

03 H2 Pewter W/Lux, Delphia XM Radio

DRTYFN
08-09-2003, 11:34 PM
I have come to the conclusion that the auto volume feature is non-existent. One my first H2 the techs went so far as to replace the radio with no results. The auto volume worked perfectly in my Tahoe.
One thing that was cool on my first H2 was that when the radio was in Spacious mode and I hit the auto volume button on then off and back to on it would boost the bass in the system. My new H2 doesn't do it though.

NCHummerman
08-09-2003, 11:52 PM
Two radios later and auto-vol still does not work ... they still cannot get me a radio that does not shut off when you press the button to adjust the bass, etc. when in CD mode, though ... they have asked me to wait for the 2004's, and they will exchange my 2003 radio for a 2004. Supposedly a new resource is making the radios for 2004 .... they told me that only the speakers are Bose and the radios are GM ... go figure ?

Michael
---
Pewter Hummer H2
Northern California

www.zootsuitstore.com (http://www.zootsuitstore.com)
------------------------------------

TJ
08-10-2003, 11:05 AM
Three radios and one amp later, mine still doesn't work right either. I also had the auto volume TSB "fix" done, but it has made absolutely no difference. The auto volume in our Silverado works great, as did the auto volume in all the GM rentals I've had when my H2 has been in the shop (Tahoe mostly, but also Yukon and Suburban). Don't know why the H2 radios should be any different.

I am also still having problems with the CD player "repeat" button and they can't seem to find the problem and/or be able to fix it...when repeat button is pressed mid to end song, about half the time it will jump tracks and repeat an entirely different track for you. This last time they said "unable to reproduce", talked with TAC and declared it "case closed". Case is NOT closed though until it works like it should. I am going to schedule to take it back in again and have the technician sit there with me and WATCH it happen. This is the same thing that happened with our "Service Air Suspension". At first they were "unable to reproduce", just another "figment of my imagination" I suppose, so no fixes done. Finally we DROVE it in when the "Service Air Suspension" warning was on the display (luckily we were not too far from the dealer at the time). Brought the technician out to see it with his own eyes, and guess what...miraculously they DID find a problem that time that needed repairing (turned out to be the compressor).

NCHummerman
08-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Seems that the radios are a problem .... I have another new problem with my latest radio which I just learned about yesterday ... I took a longer trip in the truck yesterday that usual and the radio started to just shut off and on again after a minute or so, then off, then on again ... also the steering wheel controls for the radio stopped working as well as those on the radio ... the radio was very hot to touch (the digital screen was hot) and I noticed that the digital screen on the cooling/heating system controls was hot also. Again, it seems like it was over heating. Later on today I will try the radio again, when I go out ... it just takes time to keep taking the truck to the dealer 40 miles away ...

Anyone had this problem with their radio, as this is a this new problem for me ?

Best,

Michael
---
Pewter Hummer H2
Northern California

H2 Daddy
08-11-2003, 02:14 AM
My auto volume does not work either, but after reading about everyone's experiences with the repair, I think I will just forget about trying to get it fixed. The steering wheel buttons are convenient enough.

Hum2
08-12-2003, 11:24 AM
H2ummer:

Search for Klaus's postings as I believe he has posted the TSB for the auto volume, if not see your dealer.

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net

NCHummerman
08-12-2003, 11:59 AM
Unfortunately, the TSB for the Auto Volume does not work, at least my dealer has done plenty of the wire switching, but not one has worked. I took my H2 in yesterday as the radio stopped working completely (the second radio in my H2) and the Service Tech told me that the only consistent problem with the H2 and all of the GM vehicles using the same radio that we have is just that -- "THE RADIO" ... the same radio is used in the GM trucks, Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Chevrolets, and the like ....

Michael
---
Pewter Hummer H2
Northern California

TJ
08-12-2003, 05:48 PM
I agree, the TSB for the auto volume "fix" does NOT work...just had that "fix" done and it has made absolutely NO difference. My radio/CD player quit working altogether, speakers used to go out, and also used to jump radio stations all on its own, but hasn't done it again since the first or second replacement...I've had so many, I can't remember which http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I'll check on that hot-to-touch and steering wheel control functionability and let you know once I get mine back...

DVJ
08-12-2003, 08:10 PM
Ah..... well you have all confirmed what I thought, the auto volume is indeed non-existent in my vehicle which is just 4-weeks old. I'd prefer to just leave the radio alone, but I will talk to the dealer about it just in case they plan a roll of defective units. Don't be too shocked if the speakers are not Bose, but only branded as such. It might just be a licensing play.

dvj

HummerN23
08-13-2003, 08:35 PM
Before I had the TSB applied, pressing the auto vol button had no effect. For about a week or so after the TSB was applied, I didn't detect any difference. Then one day while sitting at a light, I pressed the autovol button a few times. Voila, when the volume was set low, turning on the autovol feature made the volume go up significantly. This is repeatable. Strange but true.

DRTYFN
08-15-2003, 02:32 AM
I just had my front speakers swapped out for a set of MB Quart RSC 216 and the difference in sound is incredible!! I was very disappointed to find that the speakers that came out were made of cheap cardboard.
I'm going to wait until the new radio comes out on the 2004 and then push for a replacement.

NCHummerman
08-15-2003, 03:10 AM
Just curious ... were the speakers that came out Bose ?

Michael
---
Pewter Hummer H2
Northern California

Albie
08-15-2003, 02:10 PM
as some of you may or may not know I haven't seen or been in my truck for 3 weeks. Whats the auto volume do?

Hummer Man
08-15-2003, 04:50 PM
AUTO VOLUME is a feature that detects a 10% plus increase in volume and deamplifies it back to normal. Typically it "quiets" some of the commercials.

TJ
08-15-2003, 05:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Whats the auto volume do?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The auto volume doesn't do anything, and therein lies the problem... http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Theoretically, it's supposed to monitor the noise level inside the vehicle and adjust the volume level for you automatically. Push the "AUTO VOL" button until "AVOL ON" shows on the display, then turn up your radio or CD player while you're on the highway. When you get off the highway, it's supposed to detect the decrease in the noise level, so it's supposed to automatically decrease the volume so you don't blast your ears out...that's what it's supposed to do in theory, anyway.

TJ
08-15-2003, 05:17 PM
Sorry, I guess I made that about as clear as mud, huh? The auto volume is supposed to be able to monitor the noise level and automatically adjust the volume level up and down so the volume will always sound the same to you...so stop light, to highway, to stop light again, the volume level "should" sound the same to you (unless you turn it back up, of course http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

H2 Daddy
08-15-2003, 08:03 PM
The auto volume in my Corvette is based on speed and works fine. The same thing with my last Ecalsde. If the other GM vehicles have systems that work, how come the Hummer system doesn't. I have come to the conclusion that GM makes great powertrains but the rest of their vehicles leave something to be desired.

JSA_3
08-17-2003, 10:36 PM
Mine does not work either.

All of my previous GM's w/auto-volume worked just fine as follows:

set the volume - increase the ambient noise in the cabin, volume automatically increases - - decrease the ambient noise in the cabin, volume automatically decreases.

prplprowlr
08-20-2003, 03:03 PM
Just my 2cents worth, I know what autovolume is and I have had it in other cars but the auto volume does not work in my H2 either and something else I noticed is when I press the button on the radio is says "AutoVol Off" so everytime I get in it is supposed to be on anyway!? Anyhow so i hit the button again and it SAYS it turns on but there is no difference in sound whatsoever. I tried with window down and sunroof open. Maybe a flaw in the system when the were mass produced??

H2 Daddy
08-20-2003, 09:03 PM
I got a question. Does anybody's auto volume work? I am curious to know if this feature works at all in anyone's H2.

Buckeye Hummer
08-21-2003, 08:21 PM
I tried it today for the first time, didn't work at all. The strange thing is that in my last 3 GM vehicles it worked very well. Sounds like some sort of disconnect to me. There must be some sort of sensor that detects the noise in the cabin. Does anyone have info on this? Maybe it just doesn't exist in the H2.

PAC
09-11-2003, 03:58 AM
Maybe GM forgot to run the speed sense wire to the radio?

Well, the wiring diagram for 2003 H2 does not show a speed sense wire going to the radio. However, the 2004 wiring diagram does show it going to the radio.

So this info may answer your questions.

Karl
www.pac-audio.com (http://www.pac-audio.com)