PDA

View Full Version : Outta gas again

DrG
08-25-2005, 03:39 AM
Does anyone have any experience with how acurate the infomation center readout is for "Fuel Used"? Today, I ran out of gas again today when the fuel used said 30.5 gallons and I had added an extra 1.3 gallons (long story) the night before so I should have had at least 2 gallons left. It appears to me that the "fuel used" is low and the "average econ" is about 0.5 mpg too high. Oh yeah, I think the speedo is fast too. Can any of this be calibrated?
And then from the "when it rains it pours" department, when I got gas in the H2 today, I started it and shut the door while I put away the gas can and the doors locked WITH the engine running. Hello OnStar, no I don't know my pin number. Gotta get that extra key made.
David

DrG
08-25-2005, 03:39 AM
Does anyone have any experience with how acurate the infomation center readout is for "Fuel Used"? Today, I ran out of gas again today when the fuel used said 30.5 gallons and I had added an extra 1.3 gallons (long story) the night before so I should have had at least 2 gallons left. It appears to me that the "fuel used" is low and the "average econ" is about 0.5 mpg too high. Oh yeah, I think the speedo is fast too. Can any of this be calibrated?
And then from the "when it rains it pours" department, when I got gas in the H2 today, I started it and shut the door while I put away the gas can and the doors locked WITH the engine running. Hello OnStar, no I don't know my pin number. Gotta get that extra key made.
David

dochummer
08-25-2005, 04:49 AM
Mine said I used 27.4 gallons, and I filled with 27.34 gallons at the gas station today. It's been pretty accurate I'd say....

ARH1956
08-25-2005, 01:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DrG:
David </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Is there a gauge on the instrument panel with "F" on one end & "E" on the other? If yes you might glance at it occasionally, LOL.

08-25-2005, 03:33 PM
tire size will hose your computer and speedo. gm can't adjust the chassis computer setting to match 37" tires, or so they all tell me. mileage is lower than when i had 35", and speed is low by about 5mph in the 50 - 70 mph range. so i tend to rely solely on the gauge with the F & E on it now.

DrG
08-26-2005, 12:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ARH1956:
Is there a gauge on the instrument panel with "F" on one end & "E" on the other? If yes you might glance at it occasionally, LOL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well now that takes ALL the fun out of it. If I had wanted just a simple gas gauge, I would have bought a jeep. I prefer the digital stuff, besides, the mileage is better when you don't carry around all that extra weight in gas.

Actually I had a reason for waiting to fill up but chasing around to retrieve an empty H2 sorta killed the fun of it. I have decided that what happened is I didn't fully fill the tank to start with and therefore didn't really have the 32 gallons I thought I did. I was about a gallon and a half short which is (as I learned today) about where the automatic pump stops. You lose a few . . . and then you lose a few.
David

DrG
08-26-2005, 12:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shorterbus:
so i tend to rely solely on the gauge with the F & E on it now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I know, gonna have to do that too or learn to enjoy walking. I do wish however that the low fuel light and chimes wouldn't kick in with 7-8 gallons of fuel left. To me, that's not low unless you are off-roading out somewhere.
David

MUH_HUM
08-26-2005, 03:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DrG:
Does anyone have any experience with how acurate the infomation center readout is for "Fuel Used"? Today..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was going to say keep yer foot out of it, speed monkey! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif