PDA

View Full Version : Rear DVD players and external CD changer working OK

greenhummer
08-15-2005, 02:08 PM
After Klaus and company were a lot of help, here's a posting detailing what is working on the H2.

Klaus put me onto two good parts - both built by USA Spec. One is their 6 disc DVD changer (SCD-G7i) and the other is their auxiliary input adapter (SVG707). I had got the dealer to add two rear seat DVD players (on the headrests) and an external CD player. However, ran into the infamous "XM noise" problem. This was clearly being introduced by whatever lame CD player the dealer had put in.

So after they put in the SCD-G7i CD player, the XM noise problem disappeared. They then put in the SVG707 adapter which allows you to hit the NAV screen "Disc" button to select "RSE" (rear seat entertainment). This screen has mute controls for the front, rear and both front/rear. In addition, there is an "off" button - all of this displayed and functional on the NAV screen. In short: very cool!!! A must have interface for a mere $90. BTW - both USA Spec parts just plug in: no cutting/splicing.

One switch was added to control the audio selection between the two rear DVD players: this hardly gets any action because the DVDs are pretty much played from one headrest only.

In addition, there were a couple of extra things done to make this system slicker. One was to wire the two DVD player units back-to-back so that no wire was needed to run between the headrest units when wanting to display the same movie on both headrest units. This has one drawback of disabling the external inputs on the DVD units (oh well so much for playing games). The additional wiring is invisible: having been run inside the empty headrest support tubing. The next add-on was a video selector switch up front which displays one of the following: right rear DVD, left rear DVD, or back-up camera. There is a unused forth input on it currently.

Yet another add-on is to put an infrared repeater that will allow either the front passenger or driver to operate either of the DVDs with the remote control: without doing any contortions. Just aim the remote at a receiver up on the "A" pillar and set up the DVD player in the back.

What's the point of all this?: small children in the back that are not old enough to handle the remote. Also, you need to turn off the movies when driving through twisty bits.

If anyone is interested, I'll post a couple of pics (especially the RSE screen) later this week.

Greenhummer - '05 H2 Lux/'00 BMW M5

greenhummer
08-15-2005, 02:08 PM
After Klaus and company were a lot of help, here's a posting detailing what is working on the H2.

Klaus put me onto two good parts - both built by USA Spec. One is their 6 disc DVD changer (SCD-G7i) and the other is their auxiliary input adapter (SVG707). I had got the dealer to add two rear seat DVD players (on the headrests) and an external CD player. However, ran into the infamous "XM noise" problem. This was clearly being introduced by whatever lame CD player the dealer had put in.

So after they put in the SCD-G7i CD player, the XM noise problem disappeared. They then put in the SVG707 adapter which allows you to hit the NAV screen "Disc" button to select "RSE" (rear seat entertainment). This screen has mute controls for the front, rear and both front/rear. In addition, there is an "off" button - all of this displayed and functional on the NAV screen. In short: very cool!!! A must have interface for a mere $90. BTW - both USA Spec parts just plug in: no cutting/splicing.

One switch was added to control the audio selection between the two rear DVD players: this hardly gets any action because the DVDs are pretty much played from one headrest only.

In addition, there were a couple of extra things done to make this system slicker. One was to wire the two DVD player units back-to-back so that no wire was needed to run between the headrest units when wanting to display the same movie on both headrest units. This has one drawback of disabling the external inputs on the DVD units (oh well so much for playing games). The additional wiring is invisible: having been run inside the empty headrest support tubing. The next add-on was a video selector switch up front which displays one of the following: right rear DVD, left rear DVD, or back-up camera. There is a unused forth input on it currently.

Yet another add-on is to put an infrared repeater that will allow either the front passenger or driver to operate either of the DVDs with the remote control: without doing any contortions. Just aim the remote at a receiver up on the "A" pillar and set up the DVD player in the back.

What's the point of all this?: small children in the back that are not old enough to handle the remote. Also, you need to turn off the movies when driving through twisty bits.

If anyone is interested, I'll post a couple of pics (especially the RSE screen) later this week.

Greenhummer - '05 H2 Lux/'00 BMW M5

Klaus
08-15-2005, 02:21 PM
Cool! Glad it worked out for you! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif