PDA

View Full Version : BFG MT vs MT/Rs

JohnnyRPM
10-21-2005, 10:11 AM
Anyone run both these tires and can comment on their relative strengths? If you listen to the general public the MT/Rs seem to be a little quieter and seem to get a few more miles out of them. I run mostly on road, though I'm a builder and spend a good amount of time in muddy lots and construction sites and most of where I go in winter is unplowed. I also live in the northeast and see my share of rain. I know neither of these two, at least unsiped, will be wet driving champs.

Again, anyone here tried both on their H2? I can get the 37" MT/Rs now or wait for the BFGs to become available again. My sources in the tire industry expect some to be released in the next 6 weeks or so.

JohnnyRPM
10-21-2005, 10:11 AM
Anyone run both these tires and can comment on their relative strengths? If you listen to the general public the MT/Rs seem to be a little quieter and seem to get a few more miles out of them. I run mostly on road, though I'm a builder and spend a good amount of time in muddy lots and construction sites and most of where I go in winter is unplowed. I also live in the northeast and see my share of rain. I know neither of these two, at least unsiped, will be wet driving champs.

Again, anyone here tried both on their H2? I can get the 37" MT/Rs now or wait for the BFGs to become available again. My sources in the tire industry expect some to be released in the next 6 weeks or so.

FiremanJay
10-21-2005, 12:33 PM
i had the mtr's on my dodge and was real happy with them. they seem to be a fairly quite tire and have a nice easy aggresive look to them. as for the snow i didnt notice any problems and for that matter the rain was the same no problems. when it comes time to replace my tires i will more than likely go to the mtr's

devilsfan
10-22-2005, 12:31 AM
Do a search on this forum....there was a huge thread about a year ago comparing the 2 tires, along with the SSRs and the Toyos. A lot of people run multiple brands.

I love the MTRs. I have about 15,000 miles on them and they show almost no wear. Perform great offroad as well.

Stacy

WORKIN
10-22-2005, 10:43 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnnyRPM:

Again, anyone here tried both on their H2? I can get the 37" MT/Rs now or wait for the BFGs to become available again. My sources in the tire industry expect some to be released in the next 6 weeks or so.[/QUOTE
First let me say, i'm happy to be here in the forum. as for the mtr's, i ran a set a while back. they were great at first. the ride was top notch. but after you get some real miles on them, those babies really start slappin the road, and get quite noisey. they also seemed to have a problem staying balanced. they were great in rain and snow, and construction sites, as i am a contractor. and the puncture resistant side wall is the best. if you can stand the noise down the road. mtr's ..........

JohnB.GWU.
10-22-2005, 08:11 PM
Yes I am from the NE states too (NJ) and want an aggressive tire that is siped for rain performance. I love the Toyo MT's since they are siped, but am still questioning their rain performance vs. the AT's on the truck.

I would love to get the 35 x 12.5 x 17 Toyo MT's but need to be certain they will be as good as the AT's in the rain at highway speeds. Any comments?

PARAGON
10-22-2005, 11:27 PM
I have the MT/Rs and am slightly disappointed in them. First, off the rack all five of mine can't be balanced at speeds between 70mph - 80mph. I even have weights on the outsides of the wheels because I told them to do what it takes to get them balanced for our long trip.

They don't clean off sticky mud very well either. I would rate them only slightly better that the stock ATs in the mud with exception to a mud that is more watery. I also was a little disappointed in them on the rock in Moab. A couple of others were running the BFGs as well as other tires and they were simply getting better grip on the rock than I was on the same obstacles. The tires didn't fail me in any way, they were just easier to spin and turn over where others were gripping better and I was down at lower PSI than they were.

There's no doubt that the MT/Rs are good tires and are probably better on other vehicles but I don't think they are the BEST match for the H2 and I will be looking for a different tire when the time comes.

JohnnyRPM
10-23-2005, 02:44 PM
That all echoes all I've read here and on other sites. Wish the Toyos same in a 37/12.5-17...

Maybe the PJ Dirt grips? Read all the posts here on them and everyone here seemed to give them a thumbs up, though they were mostly H1 folk. Any more H2 owners with feedback on these? They look siped enough to handle rain and wet snow and are priced right where the MT/Rs and MTs are anyway... The agressive tread has me worried about the road noise though. H2 guys...are they noisy as they look?