PDA

View Full Version : The mysterious Transfer CACE

kbanger
11-17-2002, 01:59 AM
My brother and I took his H2 on a road trip, all highway and when we got back, his Hummer went to the shop, for the transfer case. It is still there. The dealer said it was a defective part and that Hummer wants them to replace the entire case. Any thoughts on this

kbanger
11-17-2002, 01:59 AM
My brother and I took his H2 on a road trip, all highway and when we got back, his Hummer went to the shop, for the transfer case. It is still there. The dealer said it was a defective part and that Hummer wants them to replace the entire case. Any thoughts on this

Bill Kervaski
11-17-2002, 02:03 AM
Same thing happend to me. Still in the shop. Two weeks later.

The Caddy they lent me doesn't have NEAR the offroad clearance. ;^)

- Bill

Daft_Punk
11-17-2002, 03:03 AM
Vampires in hummers?

http://www.humvee.net/hid/rungear/vamp.html

http://thehummerclubinc.com/Tech/tcase/TCaseIssues.htm

hummerbot
11-17-2002, 03:16 AM
Those articles are H1 related right?

Does the H2 have the same transfer cases or are they new ones specifically designed for the H2?

hummerbot

Texas Red
11-17-2002, 11:58 AM
H2 has a new and different transfer case. According to one article, the H2 has "a standard new, powertrain-integrated Borg-Warner two-speed electrically controlled full-time 4WD system. The transfer case electronic control provides five mode selections, including rear axle differential lock, to provide optimum performance under all types of driving conditions."

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

Daft_Punk
11-17-2002, 06:57 PM
New and improved just like the the new improved laundry detergent I just purchased. This transfer case is my biggest concern. I would like to hear what the dealership tells the two of you. Please post a follow up if you can. I would appreciate it.

Allen
11-26-2002, 09:25 PM
I had the front diff go out on my H2 only after 200 miles. The dealer said the case cracked and they ordered me a new case AND front Axle. I had all 4 tires spinning at one point going up a hill. The dealer called the problem a manufacturing defect??? Good, as long as I didn't have to pay the repair bill.

Steve R
11-27-2002, 03:45 AM
Hmmm....could this be why I sometimes hear loud and strange noises coming from the H2 when I go up steep hills and push things?

One time I came down a hill and could smell 'something' when I got out of the rig to take a picture.

I've got about 2,600 miles on the rig...why do I think I'm driving a differntial/transfer-case time-bomb waiting to go off???

What did you mean when you said "all four tires were spinning"?

Hey Daft...I think I used the same improved laundry detergent as you. Doesn't improved typically mean it's better then before???

Daft_Punk
11-27-2002, 12:45 PM
Marketing is all smoke and mirrors. A product can be labeled new and improved for almost any reason no matter how minor. For example, moving the 4 lo-hi lock button to an easer to reach position has now made the product new and improved but it’s still the same old thing. There is a quote about the new improved transfer case for the H2 but in my opinion it is one of the smoke and mirror marketing gimmicks as the quote starts out with an oxymoron ... "a standard new"

What is a standard new? Well I still love the H2 and paid for it. I will even modify it over time but I am still led to believe the transfer case is prone to leaks. If you smell something check it out... Please. Look for fluid spots.

Daft_Punk

MAC
11-27-2002, 01:09 PM
My company makes 6 millions pens a year, earlier this year there were some quality complaints came back from the field, we tested and tested and spot checked thousands of pens, but could not find the problem, every one wrote smooth as silk. Finally, after much effort and manpower without finding the problem, I made an executive decision, we changed a small part on it which does not make any difference in performance whatsoever, and we labeled every new wholesale pack, "NEW & IMPROVED". The truth is that we did change a part, so it is NEW, and I think the part is improved, thus it is IMPROVED. The change of that small part is important for honesty and legal reason. We haven't had one single complaint ever since. Major clients even told us the NEW pen is much better than before.

Texas Red
11-27-2002, 01:34 PM
In reference to the quote i made above regarding the transfer case: "standard" was referring to the fact that it is a standard feature. "New" refers to the fact that it is a new product from Borg Warner. My point was, this is NOT the same transfer case as in the Humvee (H1) which had its own problems.

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

Allen
11-27-2002, 03:08 PM
I just stopped by the dealer and saw my new transfer case sitting on a pallet. It will be in my H2 today and I'll be drivin' by 4:00 pst!!
Good to have the "tank" back! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Daft_Punk
11-27-2002, 05:36 PM
If possible can you ask the service tech these questions:

1) What caused the transfer case to fail?
2) How common is this issue?
3) How is the new transfer case you are getting different than the one it is replacing?

I would like to know those answer if you would not mind asking the questions.

TIA
Daft_Punk

Allen
11-28-2002, 02:37 AM
The answer is "don't know".

From what I have read it is a common problem. Could be that a "run" of the cases were not cooled properly which makes them week. There is no common denominator to the cause. One guy was on the freeway going 85, I was just leaving the trail. The main difference in the new case is that they said it would not be pulled off the line or from a warehouse but built new from scratch that week??? Anyway, I got my tank back, runs great, no $$$ out of my pocket and I took a picture of the broken piece. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Daft_Punk
11-28-2002, 11:01 AM
For your responce. That sure quallifies as a defect. Happy Turkey Day!

Later

Daft_Pumk