PDA

View Full Version : Military or Civillian?

Isakill
10-26-2005, 02:10 PM
Hello,
I'm writing in your forum to try and end a debate between me and my fellow Firefighters in my department. We have a Hummer/Hummvee custom made by Fireattacker equipment. The debate verdict will pretty much decide whether we will keep it or not.
The debate is on parts availabilty (Brakes, tires, suspension) and whether the piece of equipment is a Hummer H1 or a military spec Hummvee.
The interior is leather clad and has Hummer on the center of the steering wheel but most ppl in the Department thinks it's a military version.

Getting the obvious things out of the way:

It goes faster than 55 MPH with ease.
The interior.
It has "Park" selection on the tranny
Seatbelts are of a 3-point nature not just lap belts.
12 Volt Charging system

The not so obvious things:

Auto tire Inflation system. (From what I have read this is an option on both the Mil. and Civ. Models)
Water Proofing? I'm not too sure how resistant everything is under the hood. the Mil. is practically waterproof.

The reason I come to you guys for the answer is because Me and a few others are trying to keep it or prove that it's a Civ. Hummer to really put to rest on what parts we can use. Because we need break pads badly.

Thank you,
Ronald Moyer
Van Vol. Fire
Van, WV

Isakill
10-26-2005, 02:10 PM
Hello,
I'm writing in your forum to try and end a debate between me and my fellow Firefighters in my department. We have a Hummer/Hummvee custom made by Fireattacker equipment. The debate verdict will pretty much decide whether we will keep it or not.
The debate is on parts availabilty (Brakes, tires, suspension) and whether the piece of equipment is a Hummer H1 or a military spec Hummvee.
The interior is leather clad and has Hummer on the center of the steering wheel but most ppl in the Department thinks it's a military version.

Getting the obvious things out of the way:

It goes faster than 55 MPH with ease.
The interior.
It has "Park" selection on the tranny
Seatbelts are of a 3-point nature not just lap belts.
12 Volt Charging system

The not so obvious things:

Auto tire Inflation system. (From what I have read this is an option on both the Mil. and Civ. Models)
Water Proofing? I'm not too sure how resistant everything is under the hood. the Mil. is practically waterproof.

The reason I come to you guys for the answer is because Me and a few others are trying to keep it or prove that it's a Civ. Hummer to really put to rest on what parts we can use. Because we need break pads badly.

Thank you,
Ronald Moyer
Van Vol. Fire
Van, WV

HummBebe
10-26-2005, 05:52 PM
Keep it....and POST PICS!

You brave man you http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Thank for your service to your community!

Beastmaster
10-26-2005, 05:58 PM
The list of common vs. uncommon parts are too huge to mention. Here's a short list of parts that are interchangable between Civilian and Military versions.

Some Common parts:
Frame Rails
Body tub
Hood
Bumpers
rims
tires
basic engine block
geared hubs
halfshafts
differentials
primary gas tank
suspension parts
A-Arms
Springs
Shocks

Different parts:
Electrical systems (Civilian is 12v, Military is 24)
Engine Computer (Military generally has none except for the uparmored M1114, Civilian has an engine computer for Emissions control)
TurboCharger (military is generally naturally aspirated save for uparmored versions)
Seats (Well paddded Civilian seats made by Isringhausen, Military is...well, military spec hard seats with minimal padding).
Interior (Military is spare with no noise control padding, Civilian is vinyl with some noise control padding)
Steering Column (Military is straight and non-collapsable. Civilian is collapsable. They are interchangable)
Decapitation brackets (little L Shaped brackets near the windshield frame. Designed to prevent the hood from detaching the upper torso from the rest of the body. Civilian trucks have them, Military does not)

I can (and have) interchanged military parts with my Civilian truck. Works fine. Unless it's electrical or engine computer based, I can pretty much put interchange parts.

It sounds like you have a Civilian H1. Post a pic of the outside (aim the driver's side corner) and the inside (driver's seat and all the controls) and we can verify it. If you post the VIN, I can definitely tell you if it's an H1 or a HMMWV. Civilian trucks will have a VIN plate on the driver's side windshield/top dash area.

Both the H1 and the HMMWV both come off the same assembly line for 2/3'rds of the assembly time. It gets split off towards the end to become either a HMMWV or a Civilian H1.

-Steve

Beastmaster
10-26-2005, 06:04 PM
Oh...to answer your brake pads issue. You'll love this part.

Brake pads are interchangable between Civilian and Military.

I do recommend getting the Hawk Super Duty Brake Pads. http://www.bluehummer.com has them.

Waterproofing - Civilian trucks only are water rated to 30 inches. I've had splash up to the windshield and have had it sitting in water up to the top of the bottom seat cushions, which is about 38-40" of water. As long as the wiring or the engine computer (same level as the AC controls behind the dash) do not get wet and short out, or you don't ingest water (get a snorkel or make one cheap!), it will run while sitting in the water.

Military ones can withstand more water, and with the deep water fording kit and the proper ventilation, you can go underwater (literally) with the military truck.

Isakill
10-26-2005, 07:06 PM
Here is a pic of the interior on my son's 3rd B-day. It's the only one I have ATM.

Beastmaster
10-26-2005, 08:12 PM
It's a civilian one. Some major clues:

Park position (you mentioned it already)
AC Controls (the 24v Military AC is an ugly add on but it blows pretty decent cold air)
Gauges are the civilian ones.

On the door post of the driver's door, you'll see an AM General sticker with a VIN code on it. The VIN code should start with 137. If it does, you've definitely got a civilian truck.

The biggest interchangeable parts that you're likely going to end up using would be brake parts, drivetrain parts, some engine parts, some lighting parts, and most of the body.

One interesting question - what model year is it? The easiest way to tell is the VIN sticker has a build date.

The reason why I ask is due to the brake system. Newer trucks (1999 and up) has ABS brakes. If so, there is a major drivetrain component (halfshafts) that is slightly different from the military and pre-99 versions.

-Steve

LAWDOG
10-27-2005, 03:13 PM
AND IF IT HAS CUP HOLDERS http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Beastmaster
10-27-2005, 07:34 PM
It looks like a fleet unit. I don't believe there's cupholders in those.

Isakill
10-28-2005, 10:16 AM
It has ashtrays!
I have to thank you all for the TREMENDOUS help you have been for me. Not only have you guys proven my point to the department, more importantly you have helped us find an outlet for parts.
Beastmaster, the VIN does start with 137. and I think (I didn't pay full attention) it's either a late 97 or 98 model because we've had it for 8 years. I'll see if I can keep you guys updated on whether or not we sell it.

Thank you

JnStitz
11-02-2005, 08:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Isakill:
It has ashtrays!
I have to thank you all for the TREMENDOUS help you have been for me. Not only have you guys proven my point to the department, more importantly you have helped us find an outlet for parts.
Beastmaster, the VIN does start with 137. and I think (I didn't pay full attention) it's either a late 97 or 98 model because we've had it for 8 years. I'll see if I can keep you guys updated on whether or not we sell it.

Thank you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you do end up selling it, email me.

Thanks!
jnstitz@hotmail.com

Isakill
11-07-2005, 11:07 PM
We decided tonight at our weekly meeting to keep it. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thank you.