PDA

View Full Version : Over Sized Wheels

Winneconne
11-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Guys, I was wondering about oversized wheels for my H1. I have the tire inflation system. Can/chould this be disconnected in favor of larger wheels?

Winneconne
11-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Guys, I was wondering about oversized wheels for my H1. I have the tire inflation system. Can/chould this be disconnected in favor of larger wheels?

Beastmaster
11-28-2005, 10:30 PM
First question - why?

LAWDOG
11-29-2005, 04:01 AM
second question,why the heck ya wanna do that?Im running 39''pj dirt grips with CTI

Winneconne
11-29-2005, 07:34 PM
I didn't know that larger tires were an option with the run flats

Beastmaster
11-30-2005, 01:28 AM
You can run runflats with any tire that fits the rim. As long as the runflat grease is in it, you're fine.

Winneconne
11-30-2005, 02:57 PM
Guys,
I am considering a larger rim & tire for summer use. Can I disconnect the run flat application while running these rims/tires.

Beastmaster
11-30-2005, 05:39 PM
Let's get some terminology straight so we are all on the same page here.

A Runflat is an insert placed between the rim and the tire (on the inside) to buffer a flat tire from contacting the rim. It's like a tire within a tire.

CTIS is the Central Tire Inflation System. It's sole and only purpose is to adjust air pressure on the fly without getting out of your truck.

For Runflats - if you run stock rims, you can run ANY size tires you want, as long as they fit on the stock rim.

For CTIS - you can run any size rim or tire, as long as you have a connection to the CTIS hub connection at the center of the wheel assembly. Many times, you need to go with a custom CTIS hose setup from GT Products, which is owned by Dick Cepek (the man himself, not the former off road store chain that used to be owned by the same man).

Be aware that you should have a rim capable of handling load ratings of over 3500lbs per wheel. This will keep the safety margins in line with the weight of the truck plus load.

The stock aluminum one piece (made by someone, who I forget now), the two piece steel and aluminum rims from Hutchinson, and the GT Products rims are able to handle about 4500lbs per rim. The next closest that I would trust would be Walker Evans rims at 3800lbs per rim.

So, be careful as to which rims you get.

As for tires - Load range D or E (preferably E) is needed. The tires need to support at least 3500lbs per tire at max load.

Hope this helps,
Steve

LAWDOG
11-30-2005, 11:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">GT Products </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
wow steve , that was great http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Beastmaster
12-01-2005, 01:39 AM
No prob. I was given a harsh lesson from AMG in regards to wheels when I first got my truck. When I bought my truck, it came with the original 1 piece steel rims with runflats and Goodyear GSA's (unmounted), and it also came with 38x15.5Rx16.5 Interco TrXus STS mounted on Eagle 589's.

The 589's got my truck red flagged at the dealer. So - if my truck shows up with any other rim other than a stock one (or one provided by an approved aftermarket vendor, like GT), I'll get warranty service denied on suspension, wheel, and steering components.

Nice, huh? I have a nice little letter from AMG in my service file now.

Ironically, I don't get gigged for running 38's, because the local dealers sells H1's with 38's on them. Other dealers will not allow 38's on a truck, and will ask AMG to deny warranty claims.

So, it all depends on the dealer. And because of the lesson I learned, I run only approved rims - hence the reason why I'm running 12 bolt factory Hutchinson military rims with internal beadlocks. My spare and 2 other tires are also on Hutchinson 12 bolt rims as well.

Winneconne
12-01-2005, 06:49 PM
Thank you very much for the techncal information. I do have CTIS. This will get me started on the right path.