PDA

View Full Version : SUT Tool Box

kodiakz
11-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Any suters out there ever remove the plastic under the rear cargo mat? There is about 3.5 inches of space and I was thinking about making some sort of metal tool box to go under the mat. I was thinking about using diamond plate and then having the whole thing Rhinolined. I would hinge the front 8-12" with a handle to open a widthwise (is that a word?) door for quick access to tools, supplies etc. I was also thinking about sealing up the entire front half of the box for an amp or two and some narrow gelcell batteries (I think we have a small optima battery that will lie on its side in there). Any thoughts?

kodiakz
11-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Any suters out there ever remove the plastic under the rear cargo mat? There is about 3.5 inches of space and I was thinking about making some sort of metal tool box to go under the mat. I was thinking about using diamond plate and then having the whole thing Rhinolined. I would hinge the front 8-12" with a handle to open a widthwise (is that a word?) door for quick access to tools, supplies etc. I was also thinking about sealing up the entire front half of the box for an amp or two and some narrow gelcell batteries (I think we have a small optima battery that will lie on its side in there). Any thoughts?

VTSTOMPER
11-05-2005, 06:21 PM
sounds pretty cool. too bad it could not pop up, and roll out! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Would you plug the drains?

kodiakz
11-05-2005, 06:49 PM
That is the major downside--couldn't really have the drains unless the box was made a little smaller length and width and then water could drain around the box. That compartment is slightly inset so a pop up box (especially anything built heavy or with electronics would need to be watertight.

rodster
11-05-2005, 06:51 PM
Nice find, kodiakz. Can't say that I ever looked closely under the mat.

Like VT asked, what about the drains? And what about the tie-downs?

I'm guessing the mat would have to go, perhaps replaced by one that fits the new configuration? Or take it out for good to show the diamond plate?

Would the entire bed then be one continuous flat surface?

Heck of an interesting idea. I hope you do it.

VTSTOMPER
11-05-2005, 06:52 PM
it sounds like a kick but idea. I would like to see one. Keep me posted on the project.

rodster
11-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Looks like you answered most of my questions while I was asking them.

I imagine for a builder like you the money is in catering to the electronics/stereo crowd. I'd personally rather see it designed for tools but can understand why you'd go another direction.

kodiakz
11-05-2005, 07:16 PM
I hope to design/build it for both. Tie downs could be anchored to the top of the box (provided it is stron emough). The drains will be a little tougher. I suppose I could do without them and without the ability to spray out the bed with a hose in return for the added utility. I was actually thinking of something that would fit under the mat and look pretty sotck except when the mat was out. When you take that shelf out, you will see that there is basically a form fit plastic top over a sort of honey comb plastic filler. I will try to make the enclosure/box fit in the same spot as the filler. I measured the space to be 44.4" w x 30" d x 3.75" h. So not a huge space, but some extra that can be used none the less! Now I need to figure out how to make a basically hollow box strong enough to take some weight on top of it without caving. I was hoping to use some light weight metal, but may have to opt for steel for the strength. I will also need to make the top either double hinged or double doors to allow quick access to storage towards the rear of the truck and to the electronics mounted closer to the gate.

We are also going to try to fit 2 10" Kicker Solo L7's under the 60 part of the rear seat--gonna be very tight!!!!

DH22G
11-07-2005, 09:07 AM
not enough airspace for kicker L7's

Dan
11-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I was suprised to see that space under there. Seems they could have made the bed floor lift up to use that area. Keep us posted on what you come up with!